Sponsored by:

Coolant and oil leak diagnosis from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant and oil leak diagnosis from dealer

I took the 996 to the dealer Monday morning and they reported back to me today that they will be replacing the drivers bank cam solenoid and passenger bank valve solenoid. While doing that they noticed cracked ignition coils and will replacing those too - all under CPO warranty. I responded back to inquire about the coolant leak source, but haven't heard back yet. It's likely the coolant tank.

They offered to put in new plugs for no labor since they are changing coils. However I just replaced the plugs myself about 10k miles ago. They at least have 3 more years on them since that was about 1 yr ago.

Would you have them put in plugs even though recently replaced? I'm thinking why spend $ on plugs again so soon just to delay the service interval by one year.

At lease they gave me a good loaner for the week - 2010 or '11 Speed Yellow Cayman PDK - what a blast it is! I just had a 480 mile trip that I had planned for work, so I got some real time in the Cayman - sublime.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

If you can supply the plugs maybe. But if you are going to pay dealer prices of the plugs, no.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I took the 996 to the dealer Monday morning and they reported back to me today that they will be replacing the drivers bank cam solenoid and passenger bank valve solenoid. While doing that they noticed cracked ignition coils and will replacing those too - all under CPO warranty. I responded back to inquire about the coolant leak source, but haven't heard back yet. It's likely the coolant tank.

They offered to put in new plugs for no labor since they are changing coils. However I just replaced the plugs myself about 10k miles ago. They at least have 3 more years on them since that was about 1 yr ago.

Would you have them put in plugs even though recently replaced? I'm thinking why spend $ on plugs again so soon just to delay the service interval by one year.

At lease they gave me a good loaner for the week - 2010 or '11 Speed Yellow Cayman PDK - what a blast it is! I just had a 480 mile trip that I had planned for work, so I got some real time in the Cayman - sublime.
Well, I just don't like reusing plugs. New plugs come with a dry thread coating that is in my opinion intended for one installation.

So, even though the plugs didn't have much time on them, I would have replaced them.

Might add if I ever take my Boxster in and get a '10 or '11 SY Cayman with PDK the dealer ain't get the loaner back!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

The plugs won't be reused. They should not take them out to do the coils.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my 2 cents. Have them pay for the plugs. If they are doing everything else under warranty, walk into their office and ask to speak to their manager.

Anyways either way you can source new OEM plugs for about $50-60 ish.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by logray
Just my 2 cents. Have them pay for the plugs. If they are doing everything else under warranty, walk into their office and ask to speak to their manager.

Anyways either way you can source new OEM plugs for about $50-60 ish.
They treat me well, don't ask questions, and are happy to do warranty work, and provide nice loaners. I would not feel right asking for free plugs since they are not covered by warranty.

For the $100 or so I may just have them replaced even though they only have about 10k on them.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dharn55
If you can supply the plugs maybe. But if you are going to pay dealer prices of the plugs, no.
I was thinking the same thing, but even if they charge me $15 each vs. Suncoast at $10 each, it will add at one year to the interval for about $30-40 plus with be documented (I misplaced my Suncoast receipt).
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Have them do the plugs and save the old ones, in case of??? I had about 200 plugs from 17yrs of track on the 1972 (3.2 twin plug). I just threw all but about 1 doz away.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

If the plugs do not need to come out again then I would have no problem then with the plugs well remaining in service.

If the plugs have to come out for any reason, though, I'd elect to replace them.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Coolant and oil leak diagnosis from dealer