Sponsored by:

Should I save this 944?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Should I save this 944?

My buddy is selling his donor 1986 944 for $700.

I don't want to see this 944 go to the junkyard but at the same time I don't want to jump in over my head financially trying to get this thing on the road. Although, I am more than capable to restore the car myself. Here are some details..

- clear title (about 130k)
- body is in decent shape (few scratches and dings, no hood included)
- interior is trashed
- comes with brand new tires
- the engine is pulled out and torn down (he will give me ALL the parts for the motor)
- automatic transmission looks trashed (would like to swap to manual)

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking for a deal like that for a couple of years now. I'd jump on it - it'd be a great project and I love the shape of the 944.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM
RPMulli
Banned

the 944 guys thought I should pass on it..
Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are looking to restore it and turn a profit, then probably pass. If you just want a project and are going to keep and enjoy it long term, then maybe it's worth it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Well I never like to loose money on any car plus I usually keep cars short term. I was mainly looking for a toy to use in the rain to keep the 996 clean.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by SSST
It depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are looking to restore it and turn a profit, then probably pass. If you just want a project and are going to keep and enjoy it long term, then maybe it's worth it.
+1. That's what I'm talkin' about...
Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
the 944 guys thought I should pass on it..
As a 944 guy, I think you should pass on it...

The strikes against it: engine in pieces; automatic; trashed interior - for not much more, you can get a decent 944 that's a stick, runs, and is cosmetically better.

My gut feeling (and mostly from experience) is that you'll spend $2k on parts putting the engine back together, another grand, plus a lot of head aches, to convert it to manual, and easily a few more grand to do all of the other "deferred" maintenance it needs (suspension ball joints, clutch, brakes, electrical gremlins, leaky power steering, etc.). In short, you'll have $6k into that car in no time - and you'll still be driving your 996 in the rain.

And the interior still still be trashed.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love 944s. Nice 944s are great cars. So, if you want one, buy the nicest one you can find for $7500 and be done with it. (Or, you could use that money to pay someone to help keep the 996 clean...)

Just my two cents.

Oh, and if you're used to the power of the 996, a 944 will be like kissing your sister. And automatic... it's just plain rubbish. Now, a turbo... that's another story! (But can be even more of a maintenance nightmare.)
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
As a 944 guy, I think you should pass on it...

The strikes against it: engine in pieces; automatic; trashed interior - for not much more, you can get a decent 944 that's a stick, runs, and is cosmetically better.

My gut feeling (and mostly from experience) is that you'll spend $2k on parts putting the engine back together, another grand, plus a lot of head aches, to convert it to manual, and easily a few more grand to do all of the other "deferred" maintenance it needs (suspension ball joints, clutch, brakes, electrical gremlins, leaky power steering, etc.). In short, you'll have $6k into that car in no time - and you'll still be driving your 996 in the rain.

And the interior still still be trashed.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love 944s. Nice 944s are great cars. So, if you want one, buy the nicest one you can find for $7500 and be done with it. (Or, you could use that money to pay someone to help keep the 996 clean...)

Just my two cents.

Oh, and if you're used to the power of the 996, a 944 will be like kissing your sister. And automatic... it's just plain rubbish. Now, a turbo... that's another story! (But can be even more of a maintenance nightmare.)
Good points all. I was thinking more track car rebuild from scratch, but I'm sure you're right about buying one already running and done.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My son has a beautiful 1989 944 that we bought here for $2,000 a couple years ago. It had about $6,000 in recent receipts for an engine rebuild plus SPEC clutch & LWFW. We had to replace some fuel lines and sort out an electrical problem. He will be selling it shortly for $3,000.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
I was thinking more track car rebuild from scratch,
$6k - $8k can buy you a nicely prepared SP2 car with lots of spares...

As MFletch point out, it's easy to spend that much to pay someone to do an engine rebuild...
Old 04-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I would take the money you would have to spend on the $700 car and buy the beautiful black 951 for sale here.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Thanks for the input fellas... as i was pricing parts I also realized it would be a huge money pit. I drove his other 944 and it certainly felt pretty slow after driving the 996. I kept stepping on the pedal waiting for something to happen and it didn't.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 AM
RPMulli
Banned

I think I will steer clear of this one and let this poor molested 944 find its way to the crusher...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good decision. "There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche", and after having owned two NICE 944's, the saying is 100% true!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe this?
944 All Aluminum LS Series V-8 Conversion

Almost all 944 owners agree that this platform is one of the most fantastic handling cars ever built! BUT, most normally aspirated and turbo 944 owners have dreamt of a big turbo engine upgrade to get that badly needed horsepower the 944 has always seemed to lack. When they get estimates of the cost of a high performance turbo motor upgrade plus installation, and they consider the poor reliability & performance record of the ‘built’ turbo motors, the dream almost never becomes a reality.

Renegade Hybrids has a solution using the General Motors LS Series all aluminum fuel injected V8. Starting at over 335 HP stock, this abundant late-model engine series has become our best pick for more horse power in the 944 conversions. Plus, the all aluminum LS series power plants are actually slightly lighter than a turbo 944 engines. This means you get greater power and reliability at less weight and cost. This is precisely why the 944 is now the most popular German car to convert using a V8 on the planet.

Renegade Hybrids and Turn Key Engine Supply have teamed up to develop a specific engine package for each of our new LS-series conversions including the 944. With a new engine (not rebuilt), equipped with a complete stand alone FI system, the computer already programmed, a harness already custom built, the proper accessories installed, the correct exhaust manifolds provided, dyno tuned to your desired HP, and backed by a iron-clad warranty, this option must be very expensive... right? No way. We have new 410HP motors ready to ship for under $8000 with our discount! Don't believe it, take a look:here

We have had many customers come to us after spending 10's of thousands of dollars for that 'Big Turbo Motor' I referred to previously. Sure, the initial investment into the engine and turbo upgrades to exceed 300+ HP was a moderate $9,000.00, but the maintenance costs quickly exceeded that figure in as little as a few months. Then, with the issue of reliability leaving you stranded and embarrassed, or dead at the track after paying entry fees, our customers couldn't wait to drop-kick the four cylinder in favor of the Chevy V8.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Quick Reply: Should I save this 944?