Sponsored by:

UPDATE SOLD!!: 2000 aero FS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts
Default UPDATE SOLD!!: 2000 aero FS

The right 993TT showed up and now this car is for sale. Asking $20,000.

This is a 2000 factory aero with 101K miles currently. Clean carfax. Documented history since 40K miles. No accidents. First owner leased as a corporate vehicle. 2nd owner is Raymond AKA "club411" bought it from the first owner at 45K miles. I am the third owner starting at 67K miles. Pics and purchase thread May of 2007 below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...eds-to-go.html

Since buying the car, I have done all the recommended maintenance. 3K mile oil changes, tranny fluid 2X, belts, fuel filter, coil packs, plugs and MAFs. This car is dry as a bone underneath and do not leak or burn any oil.

Car came with the following options/mods:
Litronic headlights
6speed manual
3 spoke steering wheel
Grey interior with manual sport seats - in excellent shape. No cracks.
Custom JL audio subs and amp using Porsche head unit (very tasteful)
Fabspeed Sport Exhaust
B&M shift kit
1st gen EVO intake
Techequipment tips (I think they are called..)

I have added the following since my purchase at 75K miles:
PSS9s
GT3 sways and adjustable drop links
Fabspeed headers
Farnbacher Loles custom ECU Flash
3 sets total of sport design rims..
Cigarette lighter adapter to US size
Manual Radiator Fan switch mod
Rennline trak mats
GT3 brake ducts
15mm front and 7mm rear FVD spacers.
Replaced 3 spoke gray steering wheel.
RS motor mounts
2nd gear detent from G box
X51 oil pan
99K mile engine out overhaul Fall of 2011. Thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html

Thanks for looking
Attached Images  

Last edited by chsu74; 02-21-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: adding options label and new mod list
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The simple truth is that your car is worth whatever you and a prospective buyer decide - and that number is probably somewhere between $15,000 and $22,000.

In my experience mods rarely add to the value of a car. Instead they can actually scare off a buyer who is looking for a sports car but is not a fanatic like ourselves. Mods of the type on your car also generally scream - 'track car!' That can be a turn off for a lot of buyers. They are probably mistaken, but that doesn't help you sell the car.

Of course, you there may be a buyer who is looking for a car with all of those mods... but you will probably wait a long time for that person to find you. Your best bet may be to return the car to as stock a condition as you can and emphasize overall condition and service records, rather than advertise a highly-modded car.

Or I could be completely wrong ;-)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
fast996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any current pics? GLWS ! I hope someone from Chicago picks it up and brings it back home :P
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Highly recommend you do the waterpump, VarioCam pads, IMS bearing, water tank and AOS - ASAP. At 100k, my waterpump had wear marks, but at least hadn't started to crack apart and clog the head, the AOS was worn, tank was leaking and one plug was loose, plus the cam pads were very worn. The IMS bearing was fine but nice to have the 'peace of mind'. I also did the plugs and plug sleeves.

It cost me about $1200, but work every penny in 'peace of mind'. I did it basically over a weekend. Cringe to think what a dealer would charge.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 15psi
Highly recommend you do the waterpump, VarioCam pads, IMS bearing, water tank and AOS - ASAP. At 100k, my waterpump had wear marks, but at least hadn't started to crack apart and clog the head, the AOS was worn, tank was leaking and one plug was loose, plus the cam pads were very worn. The IMS bearing was fine but nice to have the 'peace of mind'. I also did the plugs and plug sleeves.

It cost me about $1200, but work every penny in 'peace of mind'. I did it basically over a weekend. Cringe to think what a dealer would charge.
Jim,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did forget about the water pump. The fan mod really takes care of the coolant temp so I don't worry about it much as it keeps it around high 87 degrees C or low 90s. The plan is to get a house where a lift install is possible at some point this year so I can tackle the above issues plus a new clutch and RMS. If I can find a shop around me to do all that for $3.5K then I would do it tomorrow.

It takes a special buyer to buy an aerokit C2 vs regular C2. That is why I went down the slippery slope the way I did. The car has seen 2 weekends of track days under my watch and none with the first two owners.

I washed the car a few weeks ago but will need to get it prepped for pics. I am not in a rush to sell the car although the thought of owning a 993 turbo is appealing for sure.

Last edited by chsu74; 02-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having just spent two months on the buyer side, what rpm's said is true. I specifically did not want a modified car, because I can't know what was done right and what impact it has had. I want to control the mods myself.

Unless you find a very specialized buyer who wants all those mods and is willing to pay for them, they don't really increase the value of the car.

Start with NADA to get an idea of what the stock car is worth in the wholesale and retail markets. Then decided what, if any, premium you want for the mods and give it a shot. Another option if you saved the stock parts is to put the car back to stock, sell it for what it is worth, and sell the performance gizmos ala carte. You might do better that way if you want to take the time to do it.

I used NADA as my starting point. I found that generally all the dealers were on the high side of NADA pricing and were willing to negotiate to the low side. The private sellers were generally pricing their cars higher than the dealers and less willing to negotiate.

Just my .02 based on my recent experience.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you would sell it pretty quick around 20k. When I was looking, most of the models that had the aerokit were '99 and from a casual buyer, '99 always had some of the negative perception attached to it. Coupled to the fact that it has sport seats and all the other goodies.

Like others have said, you'll only need that one special buyer that is looking for these features and can appreciate the added options/modifications.

I wish you were selling last year when I was looking. I did it the hard way and added an OEM GT3 aero kit afterwards along with the suspension and such. I'm definitely way past the 20k mark going this route.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

OK Some pics. It is in my parking spot indoors so colors may not come out as nice as I like it.
Attached Images      
Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

more
Attached Images     
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is an action shot of it!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car just like yours but with lower mileage (50k or something) and a built trans sold for 19k (buyer paid for extra BBS wheel and near new GT3 seats extra) here on RENNLIST.

For me the extra track goodies are a plus but for most people its a -. So I would be patience and find someone who is looking for a car like that yours...say like me when I sell my 930...

Good luck with the sale! Its a great car.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

imperfections. The brown streaks are dirt reflections from the overhead light..
Attached Images      
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cardsrule
A car just like yours but with lower mileage (50k or something) and a built trans sold for 19k (buyer paid for extra BBS wheel and near new GT3 seats extra) here on RENNLIST.

For me the extra track goodies are a plus but for most people its a -. So I would be patience and find someone who is looking for a car like that yours...say like me when I sell my 930...

Good luck with the sale! Its a great car.
I am patient and in no hurry to sell because I know finding the right 993 turbo will probably take me longer than selling this car. I prefer the next owner appreciate the mods as much as I so will choose the buyer carefully.

I do have 3 sets of these sport designs...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:11 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah the sport design wheels.... when dirty, they look like hell but when they are really clean there isn't a better looking OEM wheel IMO.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't the Fabspeed exhaust suppose to be stainless steel?
Seems like you got rusty mufflers.

I think if you invested in something like Leatherique and do some rejuvination to your leather, that could also help your sale.

When I was looking last year, most of the sub 20k cars I found were '99 models. I bet you can sell this in the low 20's through autotrader, cars, ebay, etc. It would probably help too if you pointed out the differences between some '99 models and the newer ones(egas, cylinder liner, porosity, etc) to the casual buyer.

In my experience, you wil most of the time get less than top dollar from selling on a forum.

GLWS

Quick Reply: UPDATE SOLD!!: 2000 aero FS