Sponsored by:

Slow oil leak at crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slow oil leak at crank seal

I had the car at the dealer a few days back and the technicians notes stated that there was a slow oil leak at the crank seal (flywheel). I've been asked to keep an eye out on it.

I've called back to get some clarification from the tech, but figured that asking the experts in the forum would be a good idea.

Would this leak be related to the RMS? or IMS? Something else? I'm still under CPO till November, so should I be forcing the dealer to fix the leak now?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be either the IMS or RMS. I'd get the dealer to fix the leak.

Rick
99 996C4
87 944S
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup schedule it be be fixed. This would be a good time to pay for an IMS bearing upgrade. Should only be a couple hours of labor, max, and the cost of the bearing.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is the RMS. I'd have them repair it now and then I'd have them recheck it in a few months to make sure it was still dry.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO = repair it right now!

The likelihood that the tech can tell the differnce between the RMS leaking and the IMS bearing seal leaking is non existant.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If it was my dime, I'd wait it out and not address it until it became absolutely necessary. Leaving spots where I parked, messy and such. Many seeps, weeps and small leaks will never progress to this state and are just better left alone. Being it's CPO, the dealer will make full labor amount billed and paid for by Porsche, also if needing to dig deeper and anything looks iffy, they will address it. Don't put it off, schedule an appointment.

(enjoying the rings?)
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 AM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I spoke to the tech and he mentioned it wasn't really a leak - it was more like it there was some oil sweat that he noticed. He mentioned it wasn't leaking oil and that Porsche only authorizes repairs when it is a leak and not a sweat.

I've checked and can't find any signs of a leak (either on the floor or on the bottom of the car. I guess I'll keep an eye out to see if it does become a leak snd then take corrective steps.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rajeshr
Thanks for the feedback folks!

I spoke to the tech and he mentioned it wasn't really a leak - it was more like it there was some oil sweat that he noticed. He mentioned it wasn't leaking oil and that Porsche only authorizes repairs when it is a leak and not a sweat.

I've checked and can't find any signs of a leak (either on the floor or on the bottom of the car. I guess I'll keep an eye out to see if it does become a leak snd then take corrective steps.
You might wanna try another dealer.
My car had a "leak" but it was so mild that it never ended up on my garage floor.

A sweat is a leak. The problem is a SEAL so if the SEAL is sweating, it is not doing it's job.

Push harder. You don't really know what is leaking (IMS seal or RMS seal) and your dealer sounds lazy.

Quick Reply: Slow oil leak at crank seal