996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mirror reverse trick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a Durametric be able to program this feature?
The following users liked this post:
Swimnbud (Yesterday)
Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Or just program the other numbers to have the mirrors go down.... When needed just hit that number. My memory seats went away when I put gt3 seats in.
That's interesting. I also replaced my memory seats with sport seats and lost this feature. So I'm clear, you're saying this trick with the memory buttons still works when the seats are gone?
The following users liked this post:
Swimnbud (Yesterday)
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Mine works also, and also forgets occasionally.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Yes, if when you have the car in reverse the mirror is tilted down where you want it while in reverse. It won't just tilt because you set the memory while the car is in reverse. Figure it as each numbered position has two parts. The standard driving memory and the optional reverse setting.
No "if" about it. It should go down automatically. If the car is in reverse and I push the memory button it tilts the mirror down right away. If I press the memory button again it raises back up and cancels the setting.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
That's interesting. I also replaced my memory seats with sport seats and lost this feature. So I'm clear, you're saying this trick with the memory buttons still works when the seats are gone?
no.... the memory module is located under the original seats.... memory positions will not work w/o it....
as for the op, most likely its his back up switch that is defective. If he doesnt fix it, he can still use the other memory positions and use to point the rear mirrors down without having to use the back up switch by pressing one of the memory buttons he programmed.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM
mikehelms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I fiddled with the seats every-which-way last night and I still couldn't get it to work. The reverse switch works fine (reverse lights come on when I put it in reverse), so I think I can rule that out as the culprit.

I'm going to take Dharn55's advice and check with the shop the next time I have the car over that way. Might be one of those things they can turn on by plugging in the magic computer and rattling a few keys.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions ... they were good ones!

Cheers,
-- Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehelms
Yup. Here's the steps I'm following.

1. Get in the car.
2. Turn the key on (don't start the engine, though, 'cuz I ain't going anywhere right this second).
3. Put the shift lever in reverse.
4. Fiddle with the seats and mirrors until they're where I want them.
5. Set memory position 1 for the seats by holding down the M and 1 buttons.
6. Take the car out of reverse.

Now, when I put the car in reverse, the mirror should go down ... right?

Cheers,
-- Mike
Also program the key to those settings. If you unlock the car with a key fob, I believe those settings become the "current" settings.

You could test this out by locking and then unlocking the door. Get in and start the car and put it in reverse gear. If the mirror does not "dip", then shift the car into neutral and hit seat memory 1 button. Shift the car into reverse, if it "dips" then you know the seat memory is set correctly, but the configuration for the key does not match the seat memory settings.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
jrockwood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having issues with my reverse lights and parktronic. They do not activate when the car is in reverse. The car is a tip. I wonder if the PO did something with the aftermarket nav system to activate a reverse camera. There is no camera now, but if they were to attempt to use the reverse indicator for the head unit where would they tap into? I bet there is a loose connection. Would it by at the shifter?

BTW-- I have checked all the connections at the lights and sensors when I had the bumper off.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 w/ Doug's comment on dealer reprogramming for mirror tilt on reverse... I had mine done by dealer too and it works great afterwards, no issue since, good-luck! Cheers,
Old 05-24-2020, 05:38 AM
Steve Austin3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehelms
Yup. Here's the steps I'm following.

1. Get in the car.
2. Turn the key on (don't start the engine, though, 'cuz I ain't going anywhere right this second).
3. Put the shift lever in reverse.
4. Fiddle with the seats and mirrors until they're where I want them.
5. Set memory position 1 for the seats by holding down the M and 1 buttons.
6. Take the car out of reverse.

Now, when I put the car in reverse, the mirror should go down ... right?

Cheers,
-- Mike
thank you so much. worked like a charm!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
If you follow those steps and its still not working your reverse switch on the transmission is likely bad. You can confirm this by having someone check that your reverse lights come on when you put it in reverse. The switch is inexpensive and very easy to replace if this turns out to be your problem.

-Shawn
This was my issue too. Hardest part of changing the switch out was getting the electrical connector off. Its mounted on the top of the tranny, passenger side.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:22 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Austin3
thank you so much. worked like a charm!
Just so I’m clear on this, are you tilting the mirrors down in step 4? Or are you setting them to a normal driving position and the car already has logic built in to tilt down by a certain amount after you activate the setting with this procedure?
Old 06-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

You set the mirrors where you want them for driving. Then make sure you leave the passenger side mirror switch set to that side. After you go through the steps to save seat and mirror settings while in reverse the passenger side mirror should dip down the next time you start the car and put it in reverse. It works for my 02 996 Tiptronic.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:57 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
You have a memory seat?!

+1 ^
Old 06-02-2020, 03:37 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Mirror dip works on my 2002 C4S.