Sponsored by:

04 C2 radio snafu - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
db944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 C2 radio snafu - any ideas?

This morning when I turned the car on, the radio was silent. I tried switching stations, moving to AM, putting in a CD, still no sound. It was working fine on friday night when I shut it off. The display lights, all indications are that it should work, but absolutely no sound. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the Amp..
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Try this..There are two fuses for the system D 8-9? Look at your fuse chart. Pull them both check for blown and reinsert them.
I have had similar problems with my 2003 C2. The face would light no sound, or it wouldn't know that it had a CD player, or it would start to make a crack like a gun going off even when not turned on. Every time I had to pull both fuses to get its attention. The fuses were fine but it is the only way to "reboot" the system. It was random. It could work for 6 months or 6 minutes.

This stopped when I had to replace the trunk mounted CD changer. It had stopped seeing CDs and kept telling me no CDs loaded. Related?? It might have been loose connections.

Attached is the english section of a 2003 C2 cab fuse layout.
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Even though I turned the car off in the driveway this morning and then back on to try and clear it, I still got nothing. This pm when I left work, car started, radio was fine. Very random but very disconcerting. Things are bad when you have to reboot the radio......... I wasn't aware that Microsoft was involved with Porsche.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by db944
This morning when I turned the car on, the radio was silent. I tried switching stations, moving to AM, putting in a CD, still no sound. It was working fine on friday night when I shut it off. The display lights, all indications are that it should work, but absolutely no sound. Any ideas?
i have the same intermittent symptoms on my CDR23 in my '04 C2 40th.
no sound despite all the lights and buttons working.
problem usu goes away with car turned on and off.
sometimes, my radio can't hang on to the radio station either.

while the fuse is a possibility, it doesn't make sense why the radio would work after turning the car on and off.

there was a TSB for the radio. too bad we are out of warranty and cant get it done.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...io-recall.html

my dealer checked all the codes, and no faults were thrown. his guess is the amplifier. whenever my radio permanently goes, i may use my warranty for the first time
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

The system does not get all power cut off when you shut the car off.
You can reach in through the window after the car has been parked for two days and turn on the radio.
So you are not really re-booting the system unless you pull the fuses.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me too with a 04' CDR23. Just twice in a year and only when I manually turned the radio off. I just turned the ignition off then on and it worked. Now I just turn the volume to zero instead of off, just in case.

Quick Reply: 04 C2 radio snafu - any ideas?