Sponsored by:

Best shop to do pre-failure directives

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have a truck in your neighborhood right now dropping off a car that we just finished these same procedures on. We have cars coming to us from all over the country and Canada on a weekly basis and two trucks are roaming across the country picking up and delivering cars to and from us. Typically shipping isn't much more than Cali sales tax that would be applied if done locally, with us there is no salex tax.

While we do have some contacts in NorCal I have not worked with the shops long enough to recommend their services. I am very picky about who we recommend as they are ultimately our representatives and thats something I take very seriously.

No matter who does the work, you are making the right decision to do these things as elective procedures.
Anyone in the Rhode Island / Massachusetts are yet that can do the IMS and other fixes? If not, maybe I will do the shipping thing. My CPO runs out in June and right now the car has 18K miles.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Ed, We always save the IMS bearings. We generally save them to disassemble and evaluate, but we can leave yours intact if you'd like.

There are shops in the NE area that can do this work, but no one in the country has developed a program like ours. Shipping from RI to the Flat 6 facility runs around 500 bucks and we'll have a truck there in the coming week. We have two trucks zig zagging across the country now picking up and delivering these cars.

Or you can schedule a date and time and take a vacation in the NE Georgia mountains and drop your car off at Flat 6, you can even hang out in the area and we'll be done in just a few days :-)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
inviktus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed's 996 is sweet for sure!

Ed, if you want I can post all your update pics here as we do our work, thats generally a fun way to educate people and give you daily updates while the work is being carried out.
Jake, speaking for the peanut gallery, I'd LOVE it if you'd do this. It'd be a great reference along with Shark Attack's thread, and Cefalu's, and ride23's, and a couple others.

Ed, thanks in advance for allowing your car to be shown off in the name of science!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

inviktus: My pleasure!

Jake: Then by all means, take mine apart, for the best of Porsche-kind...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Ed, We always save the IMS bearings. We generally save them to disassemble and evaluate, but we can leave yours intact if you'd like.

There are shops in the NE area that can do this work, but no one in the country has developed a program like ours. Shipping from RI to the Flat 6 facility runs around 500 bucks and we'll have a truck there in the coming week. We have two trucks zig zagging across the country now picking up and delivering these cars.

Or you can schedule a date and time and take a vacation in the NE Georgia mountains and drop your car off at Flat 6, you can even hang out in the area and we'll be done in just a few days :-)
Sounds good - as I said in my PM, I plan on taking a road trip after my CPO warranty expires in June - so I will plan something with you at some point for July. Any accomodations nearby the shop? Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I don't want to spend too much on rental cars etc. because having the work done etc. will lower my budget.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Yes, accommodations within 5 miles of the shop that are affordable. We can set you up with everything from a decent hotel room to a one bedroom cabin thats in the middle of the national forest and just minutes from the shop.

Email Dean at info@flat6innovations.com for some info and to see what our schedule is like. We have a TON of engines being built over the spring and summer, so those take priority and we don't have as much time for upgrade procedures.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We were able to get Eddie's 996 in the shop today, a day later than we planned to carry out the pre-procedure evaluation.

All is looking well at this point, I had to take the afternoon away from the shop and handle some marketing stuff so I plan on having the pre- eval complete by Friday and I'll share some pics.

If all goes well with a3.4>> 3.6 complete build up that we are doing now, we'll be able to get Eddie's update work done by the end of next week!

Pics to come, I took some today :-)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update, Jake.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Steve2112
Racer

I took the plunge myself and I am shipping my car in late June right after my CPO warranty expires.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We are finishing up a 3.6 Big Bore procedure today.. All of Eddie's parts are now in stock and ready to go, so we'll finish our pre-check tomorrow and dig in to this baby!

I'll do my best to keep you guys up to date :-)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Fingers crossed!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Eddie, I think you'll be fine.. The 3.6 big bore just breathed to life and is hitting our dyno now.. If all goes well we can get your work done while I am carrying out my field testing on this Big Bore Boxster!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Here is the first round of updates for Ed and the Rennlist family. We finished all the pre-procedure testing this morning which included a Dyno evaluation of Ed's 996. The engine made great power for a higher mileage 3.4 in need of some TLC and preventives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igCbH4DazQU

See the dyno graph, this is a very strong 3.4, but it has some bumps in the graph at vario-cam changeover that are indicative of some wear on those components. I believe that the graphs will be smoother and flatter everywhere after we finish the updates- they almost always are.

After the dyno we completed the remainder of the pre-eval work and got Ed's engine pulled. We noticed that the adaptor for the B&M short shift kit was broken and we'll be replacing that. We also noted that his slave cylinder needs replacement and that the flywheel is worn beyond spec and has a ton of wear and hot spots on it's face. We'll be replacing that with a good used unit from our core bank that has 20,000 or so miles on it and is like new. Other than that the engine had no other apparent issues, we haven't really found any other major gripes with it..
Here are some other pictures of the progress. Ed has been great to work with, with any luck I'll be putting road test miles on the car over the weekend and it'll be heading home next week!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 06-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Here are some more pictures of the process, Ed's engine is now in our O.R. :-):

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 06-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Looks like my baby is in the best of hands. Great talking to you today, Jake. BTW, I had a sense she was strong...

Quick Reply: Best shop to do pre-failure directives