Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3rd brake light LED - do they really work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hijack.....if the OEM 3rd brake has a bulb burnt out, will that make your cruise control stop working?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Redridge - Thanks.

I also wonder about the aesthetics. I like the look of LEDs, but in a few years, when every light is LED, will our incandescents look out of date, or cool?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis, did you just replace your 3rd brake lights with LEDs, or did you also do your regular tails (i.e. with turn signals)?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I just did the center brake lights for two reasons. First of all, I have a wide body car and there isn't an LED tail light option available. Secondly, I'm not sure I would do it, even if an option existed. I think the more modern looking LED lights might look funny with the C4S reflector strip on the back of my car. The third brake light is only noticeable if you're looking for it. I like the smoked lens for my darker colored car - I think it blends in better than the OEM red light.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Also - I did replace the amber front side marker bulbs and the parking lights (the ones inside the headlight assembly) with LED bulbs, although that was as much for bulb longevity as it was for appearance.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Sorry to hijack.....if the OEM 3rd brake has a bulb burnt out, will that make your cruise control stop working?
thats a good ???, when bulbs burn out (not sure about 3rd light).... your ABS or brake light stays on.

Originally Posted by wyovino
Redridge - Thanks.

I also wonder about the aesthetics. I like the look of LEDs, but in a few years, when every light is LED, will our incandescents look out of date, or cool?
Dude.... I respect the guys that do it, I've seen all kinds of mod... Im the kind that likes cars that are modded..... But also like the look of it being ht factory. It just didnt look right on my car.... personal taste for sure.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Also - I did replace the amber front side marker bulbs and the parking lights (the ones inside the headlight assembly) with LED bulbs, although that was as much for bulb longevity as it was for appearance.
Yep I agree with you there.... those pumpkins, only a mother can love the look..... and Im a stay home dad.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a minature 12 volt relay's NC contacts to switch in a halogen bulb when the 3rd brake light is off.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought two of the smoked LED brake lights 4-5 years ago from Carnewal. Installed them and they worked fine. You do have to be careful on the polarity. Apparently the LEDs are sensitive to polarity.

After a year or so neither was working. Checked and reversed the polarity but nothing worked. Reinstalled the OEMs and everything worked. Emailed Carnewal several times to see if they knew of problems or had a fix, but never got any response form them whatsoever, which surprised me as they have a pretty good reputation.

Finally last fall I took the LED's out of the box they had been sitting in for 2-3 years and rested them with a 12V battery and they seemed to work, although one is intermittent. I reinstalled the one below the window and after fooling with the contacts (they are thinner than the OEMs) I got it to work. The one on the wing I could not get to work so I still have the OEM there. Plan on trying that one again when the weather warms up.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
X-UFO
Track Day

Originally Posted by philooo
X-UFO, can you elaborate what resistance you needed as I had same problem when I tried to install rear tail light led, my third brake light LED, was acting up, like staying on for no reason and stuff like that.

I used one of these. It is 21W. They also sell them with the wires already soldered on but I did that myself. There is a lot of room in the hole where the third brake light goes so plenty of room to use a sticky pad to fix the resistor near to the brake light on the inside of the bodywork.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EOIBSA:GB:1123
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks X-UFO, I'll give it try

For those of us in the USA, I've just found a similar product from a reputable US shop (no affiliation)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...dresistor.html
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey guys does anybody know the location of the head light relay ,my head lights wont come on ,the park lights do and the brights ,checked fuse they are good 03 cab4, help!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by philooo
Thanks X-UFO, I'll give it try

For those of us in the USA, I've just found a similar product from a reputable US shop (no affiliation)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...dresistor.html
I don't understand how oyu hook up these resistors to the 3rd brake light. Please help....
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I don't understand why you need resistors. My LED third brake lights were plug and play, with no issues at all.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
V225
Racer

You'll only need resistors if you change all of the tail lights, as the resistance drop causes the car to think it has a short circuit. The 3rd led by themselves don't need a resistor to work.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The cruise control senses the brake light voltage for automatic shutoff. With LEDs in place of halogens there is a ~1.5V "float" voltage due to the CC "keep-alive" circuitry even with the brake lights not on. That low voltage is enough to disable CC entirely or even make it intermittent.

Look carefully at your high mount LED in a dark garage and you will see that they remain illuminated ever so slightly.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light LED - do they really work?