Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade to ROW030 - the journey begins (parts received)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade to ROW030 - the journey begins (parts received)

I'll try to post in the thread my journey through the upgrade into suspensions RoW-M030.

First step: I ordered a kit from Suncoast ($1100) and it just arrived today.

I am happy to see it is in one piece, but a little bummed because the packaging is borderline for such heavy parts. So there are a lots of pain chips and dings on the parts. Not destroyed but at some point they almost look like used parts.. should I spend time painting the chips to avoid rust ? or those parts are not to prone to rust ?

Enjoy the pics. I tried to have them setup so you can see the paint color on them.
Attached Images           
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice. They look like the right parts!
Keep us posted on the progress
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Good luck with the install Phil. Are you doing the work yourself or are you having it installed by a pro?

I would not be too concerned about rust but I am sorry to see the condition of the parts coming from Suncoast. I plan to do the same conversion on my car this spring/summer and I intended to order from Suncoast as well. After seing your shipment I may go with another supplier.

Let us know what you think of the new suspension once you get a chance to drive it a bit.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Phil:

Good luck with the install and I am very interested to know your thoughts once she is back on the road....I would love to do the same to mine....
R\
Scott
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those threads are pretty buggard up.. man, you have some bad luck when it comes to packaging.
Nice choice though! Im jealous!

Edit, they do almost look used.. those marks on the springs look like marks from a spring compressor....

Last edited by bkjwhipple; 01-28-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: looked agian..
Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I just did the bars,like to here what you think.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Three quick questions:
1. Whatta ya got there, looks like four shocks, four springs and front and rear sway.
2. After you get it in you have to get the $1000 four wheel allignment right?
3. Why the ROW system vs. PSS10 or other? Guessing it's a good compromise for street and track vs. something like PSS10 that if you don't go through the trouble of adjusting is really a better track set up? Also a lot cheaper than PSS10?
Yes I am aware I may be answering my own questions--just giving you a head start.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I would call Suncoast and the shipper about the shipping damage. The threads and the bottom of the rear shocks don't look good to me.

A 4 wheel alignment cost me $200 after I did my PSS10 install. And that was a little above the market rate.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

My X74 parts were pristine. It is worth a call to Suncoast. They know how big the RL community is. I bought rotors last year from them. They sent 2 rotors for a Boxster by mistake but to make a remedy I had to buy 2 more rotors (again) and they would credit my card when they get the wrong ones back. Make sense? Not to me. I used my money to fix their issue. Also when I was searching for the X74 they would not match the price I was getting elsewhere. So I bought from across the pond cheaper than what they would do.

I would give them a call send them pics of what they shipped you.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

I got a guy here in the bay who does alignments for $75. He has been doing this for a while and highly recommended even by the Porsche Dealer.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the buggered threads were mine it wouldn't be the first time I had gone after threads like that with my set of small jewelers style files or pipe and bolt threader. You can find some in a hardware store if you don't care to go through shipping stuff back and forth. I wouldn't try forcing a nut on there. If you try a threader remember to back up to loosen the stuff its cut then go for more progress cutting away the bad stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Phil - Good luck with the install - hope you get satisfaction from Suncoast on the parts that you're concerned about. I appreciate your pics showing the color coding - that validates I've got the right setup as well. No one could confirm the color codes on the springs for me in the past.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by francars
I got a guy here in the bay who does alignments for $75. He has been doing this for a while and highly recommended even by the Porsche Dealer.
Ha, ha, a guy here does 4 wheel for $59. He's done a Jag and did my 996. He does all the guys that track, SCCA members, etc (that are in the know) not because of price, because he understands suspensions and alignment and know how to tweek a car to make it do what you want. He is second generation, his father used to align all the racers cars, 40 years ago.

You can pay $250, have it done on a Hunter machine and get an extremely poor job. Price has nothing to do with quality. Sadly I found this out the same is true using hign end body shops.

Sorry to hear your parts were banging around during shipping, I see this too often. I'd make a call! GL!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P-dealer quoted me $300 for alignment. $80 for wheels balanced. Said it would take "all" of three hours for alignment. I had the car aligned before at Monroe Muffler. Took one hour, $70. So what's the P dealer doing with the alignment those two other hours?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Default Color Codes

Originally Posted by X51
I appreciate your pics showing the color coding - that validates I've got the right setup as well. No one could confirm the color codes on the springs for me in the past.
Hey guys, I did not pay attention to this initially until X51 pointed out, but the color codes you got are for a US Sport Version M030. The codes on mine when I got them were white green white. I noticed from the pics you took you got some brown and blue. That belongs to the US Sport (Ride is slightly different)

Check out this link from PCA about the RoWs. It has been posted before -
http://web.archive.org/web/200307071...article_3.html

To the OP - Call SunCoast

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade to ROW030 - the journey begins (parts received)