996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone been to Daytona Rolex 24?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone been to Daytona Rolex 24?

I'm figuring that this is Porsche related. (Racing watercooler 911's)

I am going to Daytona Rolex 24 for the first time and have some questions for those that have gone before.

What happens between midnight and 6am? Do most people leave for hotels, stay up all night, catch cat naps or just party?

Also any suggestions to take with? I'm figuring ear plugs, cameras, hat... anything that is not obvious?

Thanks! can't wait to get there-
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
johonole
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens between midnight & 6am is more merriment- just less people since some have passed out.

You should bring alcohol, your perscriptions, an RV, a Rebel flag, and maybe a woman- pickins can be slim.

Cameras can be dangerous- remember others have them too.

And you will have a good time!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Rolex 24 is a great race... It is especially fun when you show up with an RV for obvious reasons. usually, the Porsche corral is in a great location, placed just in front of a high speed left hander. However I was on the Daytona website and did not see advertising for pcar corral this year. Anyways, bring your own food if you can cus the food inside the track is miserable and the restaraunts are always packed. (outside the track.) If you are not going to camp in the infield, there are numerous motel rooms a bit north of Daytona right on the beach in Ormond or Flagler. Nice drive along the ocean from these areas as well....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
15psi
Instructor

Originally Posted by johonole
What happens between midnight & 6am is more merriment- just less people since some have passed out.

You should bring alcohol, your perscriptions, an RV, a Rebel flag, and maybe a woman- pickins can be slim.

Cameras can be dangerous- remember others have them too.

And you will have a good time!
Thanks for the advice & info. I'm flying in early on Sat with a couple other car nuts, so the RV & women are out of the question, but getting adult refreshments and food on the drive to the track is a good idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM
timabe
Instructor

Be very choosy about the company you keep at Daytona. Those 993 guys are pure trouble.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

PCA Corral will be in the same location this year. Right between the two horseshoe turns. Look for the big ferris wheel and you'll find the corral. Even has its own grandstand (well, it's not really reserved for PCA but it is right next to our parking spot, thus its usually filled with PCAers).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep your eye on the Brumos #59 GT3 Cup racer. The driver team includes Hurley Haywood (out of retirement...again), Leh Keen, Andrew Davis, and Mark Lieb (factory hot shoe)...a strong line up for sure.

After several successful years in the Grand-Am DP class, Brumos is returning to its GT class racing roots. We wish them well.

relinuca
PCA-Florida Crown region
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The weather will be clear but cold (perhaps into the 30's) at night this weekend. Bring WARM clothes. A sweatshirt won't cut it. Warm jeans, shoes, socks.
It also get very smoky in the infield as the campers burn every stick of wood in sight (don't leave wood chairs sitting out overnight or use wood stakes to mark your turf).

PCA will have the corral and a large tent. But the tent is closed from 12 AM to 7AM

Weather for Daytona Beach, FL
http://jacksonville.justweather.com/local/USFL0106/

Last edited by Thundertub; 01-26-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM
15psi
Instructor

Originally Posted by relinuca
Keep your eye on the Brumos #59 GT3 Cup racer. The driver team includes Hurley Haywood (out of retirement...again), Leh Keen, Andrew Davis, and Mark Lieb (factory hot shoe)...a strong line up for sure.

After several successful years in the Grand-Am DP class, Brumos is returning to its GT class racing roots. We wish them well.

relinuca
PCA-Florida Crown region
Most definately will be watching Brumos! Hoping for a great race with the refinished track and great weather. Hopefully the GT3s fare better than the RX-8s did last year.

Tim (Timabe) did you say you know Hurley? We will have to visit him with our full access passes.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
timabe
Instructor

Oh yeah, Hurley and I are real close. I rode a lap with him at the Porsche Performance Driving School last month. That makes us like brothers. He knows me about like you would know a hitchhiker you picked up and then dropped off 90 seconds later.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I went for years. I always find a hotel out at the beach and the rates are usually low. I try to go out to get all my food. Its bad and expensive at the track. And its usually cold at nite so I go back to the hotel and go out and socialize.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
racer
Drifting

I only went once, about 10 years ago, which might have been the early on with the track lighting. I was amazed how "bright" it was, even at midnight. More suprised when I went back to the hotel for a few hour nap.. and could hear the cars and see the lights. Sunrise was a favorite.. yes,its COLD, especially in "north" florida .. You will want a heavy coat, gloves and hat etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been several times. I use to live 5 miles from the track. It use to be a big party in the infield. Lots of camp fires. Not sure if they let you do that anymore. The hard core people would be up the whole time. The drunks pass out. It does get chilly that time of year and very messy if it is wet. I found it hard to sleep with the noise but alcohol will cure that. Back in the day once you were in the infleid you stayed unless it was a medical emergency. I have not been back to Daytona for about 5 years now. I am sure a lot has changed.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM
BReyes
Racer

In the morning they close infield to anymore vehicles for a awhile. Get it early or may have to park outside for first few hours of race.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Some pics from the track today. More pictures posted in the Off Topic section.

Weather was totally perfect today. Going to be Perfect Plus tomorrow.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Daytona Rolex 24?