Banned

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
veni vidi crunchi
Sounds like something you order at the coffee shop:

"Yes, I'll have a grande latte, with a veni vidi crunchi to go!"
Old 01-12-2011 | 03:01 PM
larry47us
Pro

Either fortunately or unfortunately, the decision to total the car is not mine, but the insurance company's. I am going to pay the price on so many levels here. BTW, wifey and I decided to get a divorce about 6 months ago. Couldn't help myself, so I bought the Porsche. She has been very unsympathetic about anything since. She won't even sit in the car, and at every juncture complains about how much the car is costing. So . . . . she considers this vindication - she was right all along, the Porsche is a problem that will sink me.

There is likely no way of knowing upfront what the insurance company will offer me for the car until they decide to total it - then they will give me a price. I have negotiated with insurance companies in the past - unfortunately - on a total. They are pretty unmovable (in my experience.) But, I will have to face that one when it comes. Right now, anticipating that they will offer me something in the mid-20's, I am all over getting it fixed, and driving it for the next 3 years or so, till I can afford to sell this one - or trade it in - and get a different 996, or by that time - a 997.

In the meantime, the ribs are sore, but not too bad. It is mostly my feelings that have been hurt. I learned how to drive in the snow over 40 years ago, and have fought more than one car out of a slide/fishtail/slippery braking over the years. Right now, the insurance company is saying that they won't get a chance to look at the car and have an estimate on the repairs till beginning of next week. (sigh) won't have any answers till then.

To be honest, I am just glad that I came through this with only sore ribs. This could have been disastrous on so many different levels.

larry

Last edited by larry47us; 01-12-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 03:11 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

To those that question the decision to take the Porsche out in the snow, I'd say rubbish. Larry had an accident and they do occasionally happen even when piloting an SUV with snow tires down the road.

I've used my C2 as a daily driver through every Chicago winter up until I moved last December. With snow tires the 996 C2 is eminently capable in the snow (yes even fairly deep snow) and served me very well in that capacity.

In addition to utility my C2 was an absolute blast to pilot in the snow. In fact if it did snow, I'd usually find an excuse to get it out on the road rather than keep it in the garage.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-12-2011 | 03:50 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
To those that question the decision to take the Porsche out in the snow, I'd say rubbish. Larry had an accident and they do occasionally happen even when piloting an SUV with snow tires down the road.

I've used my C2 as a daily driver through every Chicago winter up until I moved last December. With snow tires the 996 C2 is eminently capable in the snow (yes even fairly deep snow) and served me very well in that capacity.

In addition to utility my C2 was an absolute blast to pilot in the snow. In fact if it did snow, I'd usually find an excuse to get it out on the road rather than keep it in the garage.

Just my $0.02
Good for you...not for Larry in this case...
Old 01-12-2011 | 04:30 PM
911FM
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
I LOVE IT!!!!
+1

FM
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:07 PM
Targatoo
Pro

I'm clearly with Ray on this. My comments weren't meant to be inciteful, but supportive.

We could always err on the side of caution. We could all own Volvos. Driving a well tuned, properly equiped vehicle, even in adverse conditions, is not taking on an unreasonable risk, IMO. Accidents happen even when no risk is apparent.

Your ribs hurt. No point in beating yourself up further!
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:38 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Does your car have PSM? If so, then I would think (hope) it would have kicked in to keep you straight.
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:39 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targatoo
I'm clearly with Ray on this. My comments weren't meant to be inciteful, but supportive.

We could always err on the side of caution. We could all own Volvos. Driving a well tuned, properly equiped vehicle, even in adverse conditions, is not taking on an unreasonable risk, IMO. Accidents happen even when no risk is apparent.

Your ribs hurt. No point in beating yourself up further!
I think part of this also comes down to what conditions you are confortable driving in. In Chicago driving in wintery conditions is viewed by most as no big deal. In North Carolina, people are absolutely terrified to travel with a hint of snow on the ground. Case in point, we got 4" of snow in Charlotte on Sunday night. Stores were mobbed for bread and milk on Saturday and many offices and schools are still closed today despite the fact that most of the roads are now bone dry. Fear is debilitating for some I guess.

In my experience a 4wd SUV is great for pulling away from snowy stoplights, but I have yet to see the the big SUV that can out brake, out corner, or out manuver my C2 on snowtires in average snow conditions. Even off the line with the weight of the motor out behind the rear axle my 911 can accelerate hard in the snow.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:02 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Does your car have PSM? If so, then I would think (hope) it would have kicked in to keep you straight.
Nope, my car doesn't have PSM. This is really a "southern" car. 2 wheel drive, no LSD, no PSM. You know, whenever you
take a car on the road there is a 4-way equation to each trip. Car, driver, weather (road) conditions, other drivers. I think that we subconsciously calibrate our driving to those external conditions.

Larry

Last edited by larry47us; 01-12-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:18 PM
kr3678
Instructor

When I totaled my MINI Cooper, my insurance company went round and round on whether or not they would total it.

I kept telling them that the bend in the unibody was so great that they would never get the panoramic roof to fit after the car was straightened. They didn't believe it, so they had the shop pull the car straight. 5 sunroof assemblies later (original, 2 used and 2 new), the body shop declared that they could not make one fit and that the car should be totaled.

I would have similar concerns about a straightened Targa.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:24 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larry47us
Unfortunately, I need to recalibrate myself down a few proficiency brackets when driving my 996 in the winter when there's snow on the ground. Lesson learned.

Larry
I wouldn't kick yourself (and don't let the ex-wife) about the accident. They do happen, but the good news is that you are ok and you have insurance.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:26 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

WOW..just read this...glad you are OK!!!

Semi vs porsche....you did better than ok.
Old 01-12-2011 | 06:44 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larry47us
I felt the tires start to slip, and backed off the gas. The car started to fishtail a bit, and I brought it under control, starting to feel a bit nervous about the situation. Then, I don't know why, I started to fishtail again.

This time, instead of bringing the car back under control, the car started oscillating more and more, first left and then right. I was getting worried. Then the rear end broke loose, and I was flying down the highway perpendicular to the road, going sideways.
larry
Larry, let me say again, I am very glad you are okay.

I have a couple of thoughts just so maybe someone else can avoid the same situation. I just reread your post about the circumstances. Did you "ease" off the gas very gradually, or back off quickly?

The old 911 mantra, "Don't lift," comes to mind. I have found in my 22+ year of various 911 ownership, (and I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination) that lifting off the throttle quickly, in nearly any situation with a 911 and compromised traction, can be disastrous. Gentle changes in throttle and steering into the slide is the ticket...

I think that I can envision what you described. The "whipsaw" effect towards the end made me think of the "don't lift" expression.

Anyway, with all the modern technologies that these cars have, it is easy to forget that the earlier 911s were famous for having finicky handling. It still is a 911 after all...

I will let the driving experts chime in here.

Regardless of the outcome, don't give another thought to what your wife says about your purchase. She no longer has any standing in that argument.

Be well.
Old 01-12-2011 | 07:10 PM
larry47us
Pro

These things happen so quickly, that it is nearly impossible to try to put together the "actual" events. After all, as the driver, you are in the "eye of the hurricane."

All in all, considering everything, (if it were even possible) I am satisfied with the outcome. The car will either be repaired or totaled, and in 4 - 5 weeks, my ribs will heal. I am more than a bit humbled by the event - justly so - and as I have said to my kids and wife when they all had horrendous accidents (wife rolled a 2 year old Volvo down an embankment at 70 MPH in western Nebraska, with two kids strapped in the back) - the most important thing is that no one was hurt. Honestly, I feel more than a bit blessed - someone was watching over me. Time for some extra prayers at services this weekend.

larry

Last edited by larry47us; 01-12-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 07:15 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

You probably hydroplaned the front and lost control that way.
How far above 40 were you going?

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it