Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I did it!! I purchased a 2003 911(update 1-11)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/995/photos/728131#00

Here's the only pics I have. What do yall think. Did I do good? Providing the PPI is good of course
Old 12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

looks nice! its sittin high... a little lower stance would set it off right.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

VERY NICE! It has some Aero stylings to it. Now no more crazy talk about X X X! K?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

VERY nice. Like the white gauges and GT3 looking wheels. I see the build date is 12/02, so isn't it a Model Year 2003? Hope the PPI turns out a-ok.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering about those wheels. Are they genuine Porsche? I haven't seen any fotos of those wheels on stock cars, but I have seen them before somewhere. I'm a little freaked out because due to the holidays and family obligations I have to have it shipped so I can't see/evaluate in person. The service guy at Dallas Porsche assured me he would give me a thorough and honest appraisal of the mechanics, electronics, and cosmetics. What can go wrong. Right? yikes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

yes. It's an "03
Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I'm wondering about those wheels. Are they genuine Porsche? I haven't seen any fotos of those wheels on stock cars, but I have seen them before somewhere. I'm a little freaked out because due to the holidays and family obligations I have to have it shipped so I can't see/evaluate in person. The service guy at Dallas Porsche assured me he would give me a thorough and honest appraisal of the mechanics, electronics, and cosmetics. What can go wrong. Right? yikes
Stop already....buy the damn thing. Or maybe this car just isn't for you. Does that help?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are sport classic wheels, not gt3 wheels, and were a very popular and readily available option.

Stop freaking out, and put all of your questions into an email for the party performing the PPI.

You'll be fine! For your own sake, buy a warranty, and sleep easy.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice wheels, great color. Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet car. Are the windows tinted? Looks great!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So its the weekend and no nice pics to look at with guys talking about scooting along with blondes and new toy 911's blah blah blah its a cruel world I guess.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 AM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, and +1 on those wheels... I like.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:03 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
Here's the only pics I have. What do yall think. Did I do good? Providing the PPI is good of course
OK, am I confused? You bought the car. You're planning on flying out and then driving it home. You're having a Porsche dealer do the PPI. Is that the same place that you bought it from? Is the PPI going to be done BEFORE or AFTER you buy the car?

Driving it home is a fun way to familiarize yourself with the car, but why does it seem that newbies are so excited to buy their first Porsche, that they forget that PPI stands for PRE purchase inspection? Having it done AFTER you buy the car is just the worst way of finding out how much you have been screwed after the fact. Can you trust the dealer? No, I doubt it. Can you trust the selling dealer that they will let you have a few days of driving in it and then would refund your deposit? I'd think that they're pretty safe if you are spending those few days to drive it home!!!

What are the chances that you're going to bring it back - drive another few days to bring it back!!!??? Just make sure that you get it all in writing.

The car looks beautiful. If it's as nice on the inside (and I mean mechanicals, not the cockpit) then you're in good shape. All the best.

larry
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

OK, I put a $500 refundable deposit to hold the car with the seller (Straight Line Automotive). They are taking the car to Dallas Porsche for the PPI. I complete the transaction or not after the PPI. If I nix the deal due to discovered problems with the car, they refund my $500. I paid for the PPI. I lose that. PPI was $200. Shipping is about the same as airfare+ gas+lodging. My girl friend and I were going to fly and get it, but now that just is not working out. So, I'm having them ship it. My anxiety comes from not seeing it myself. This is my first Porsche and I've been hunting for months. Seller is a big high end luxury used car seller with 100% positive ebay and BBB rating. The Porsche service guy said the seller is good. The price is good. Too good?? I wonder about that also. But I have this quirk about getting really good deals independent of my financial means.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM
larry47us
Pro

Thanks for the further explanation. You have two things going for you, not the least of which is a GF that is part of the process. The PPI at $200 is cheap insurance. Have them send you a listing of the things that they're going to check out for you. One very important thing to check out is any leaks. Don't let people tell you that ALL Porsches leak oil. THEY DON"T. My 2004 996 is totally dry. Your's can or should be as well. You can usually fix most leaks, but why should you have to deal with it? An ongoing leak hides many troubles.

If the shop doing the PPI is straight-up with you, you should be fine. As I said earlier, I flew down to Texas from Chicago to pick up my car. Could I have said "No" when I got to the dealership - yes. But the likelihood of that was slim and none. I got the car, drove it home, loved every minute of it - and I still do.

You need to find a local independent mechanic to work on your car. Even if you get to the point where you do some DIY stuff, you will need a skilled mechanic to go over the car during that once a year service. Then . . . . .

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY - Let us know how the car is after you take delivery. Good Luck

larry

Last edited by larry47us; 12-19-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: I did it!! I purchased a 2003 911(update 1-11)