Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

will turbo bumper 'allow' install gt3 wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default will turbo bumper 'allow' install gt3 wing ?

I have this gt3 wing that I'd like to install on my 996 MkII.

Problem is that I need a new gt3 front bumper to make it aerodynamically correct.

I was wondering if the turbo/c4s front bumper would do instead ? any opinion on this ? I believe Porsche had a list of compatible aerodynamic equipments, anybody has it ?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 wing will add downforce at the rear. I recall the turbo bumper produces less lift than your OEM bumper. Based on my research, you are better off to have more downforce in the rear than vice versa. Remember the first Audi TTs; the back ends were coming out in high speed turns. Audi then added a rear lip spoiler to add extra rear downforce. Generally, it is easier to control underssteer than oversteer.

Porsche does recommend the matching GT3 bumper to balance the front and back.

By adding just the rear wing, your front may feel more light perhaps over 80 mph.

You could just add the GT3 lip under your OEM bumper. I did and noticed slightly better front end traction above 80.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you just need a lower lip that keeps the front end balanced with the rear. The bumper shape itself is not all that important; it's the downforce the lip creates, or the effective height off the ground the front end is.

So turbo bumper would need some kind of lip; possibly like a GT2 lip. I don't know how much downforce the rear wing on the GT2 creates when compared to the GT3 wing.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

humm sounds like my turbo bumper will not help all that much ...

those damn gt3 bumper are really hard to find ... and I have a possible turbo bumper painted in my color that I might be able to grab....

if anyone had experience with turbo bumper lips ... :=)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo bumper with GT3 wing will not look right...I'd hold out for GT3 bumper or get GT2 wing with Turbo bumper.

Turbo Lips:
Standard Lip
Aero Lip ($$$)
Others - RUF Style, Cargraphic ($$$)
Old 12-06-2010, 03:17 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

You can balance the rear downforce with the turbo aerokit lip... If you are in a pinch. This is a much bigger lip than the stock turbo lip.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-in-black.html

Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The GT3 bumper is sweet. I had it on my C2 and much prefer it over my Turbo bumper.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

It has always been recommended by Porsche with the 911 line that aerodynamic improvements be added to the front first and then the rear. The rear weight bias makes proper aerodynamics even more important. At high speeds with only a rear spoiler, 911s of all generations can get really squirrelly.

Originally Posted by jeneric996
Remember the first Audi TTs; the back ends were coming out in high speed turns. Audi then added a rear lip spoiler to add extra rear downforce.
Totally different issues at play with the Audi TT: front weight bias, very poor suspension design, odd aerodynamics, etc... The spoiler was a just a bandaid for a dangerous design.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
humm sounds like my turbo bumper will not help all that much ...

those damn gt3 bumper are really hard to find ... and I have a possible turbo bumper painted in my color that I might be able to grab....

if anyone had experience with turbo bumper lips ... :=)
Phil, you think your Mario Andretti or something? lol, its not like it will make a difference...your not going to be driving the car in LE Mans buddy!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I just feel the car is already pretty light in steering as it is. I do have the stock suspension, even though I have the lowered 1inch version still it is not very tight on the tarmac.

I don't want to invest painting the rear wing if I have to remove it right after....

talking about that... will it damage the wing if I mount it without painting it ? it is an original OEM Porsche aerokit wing, brand new never painted.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

I just feel the car is already pretty light in steering as it is.
I really would not suggest mounting that rear wing without a lip spoiler in the front. You will be surprised how light (scary) the steering is without the lip...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just feel the car is already pretty light in steering as it is. I do have the stock suspension, even though I have the lowered 1inch version still it is not very tight on the tarmac.

I don't want to invest painting the rear wing if I have to remove it right after....

talking about that... will it damage the wing if I mount it without painting it ? it is an original OEM Porsche aerokit wing, brand new never painted.
How does the car handle right now? Edit: Doh, you already said it feels light. By that do you mean it pushes in the corners, or that it feels light at high speeds on the straights?

You won't do any damage by installing it without paint, and if you keep it at the lowest setting it may not be that unbalanced. I put a GT3 nose on my car without a splitter, and it completely unbalanced the car. That led me to putting a MK1 GT3/Aero wing on the back to re-balance it. I ended up running the wing at it's highest setting to get the car to not have significant oversteer. So... I'm guessing that you probably could get the wing to work with the Turbo nose. Put it on, take it to the track, and see what happens. You can always take it off.

Quick Reply: will turbo bumper 'allow' install gt3 wing ?