996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Those of you with a turbo or GT2 nose.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Those of you with a turbo or GT2 nose.

I'm a little concerned that the radiator is exposed with this nose and something will fly in and put a hole in the coils.

Does anyone have screens that protect the radiators?

Does anyone know where I can get them or have any other suggestions?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

so you have a third radiator... or are you talking about the sides?.... if you are tracking, it would be a good idea.... on the streets, I wouldnt worry about it. There are debates that, a screen can make it run hotter...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

third meaning center.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Ok. Great advice. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Like Norcoastal, I'm interested in where you can buy the screens for the front bumper. I have the x51 package and have the 3rd radiator as well. I've seen different applications, but never for a Mk II C2 bumper. Anyone?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
Like Norcoastal, I'm interested in where you can buy the screens for the front bumper. I have the x51 package and have the 3rd radiator as well. I've seen different applications, but never for a Mk II C2 bumper. Anyone?
I would post this question on the gt3 board.... They have the answer readily available, some gets it from Gert or home depot.... It's mostly a diy and not something that is plug and play.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a UK site that does them, I stumbled across them once when surfing and thought great, until I saw the price in GBP and did the conversion....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run without these on the sides for years without problem...really don't think they are needed...

Last edited by FLY996; 12-02-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I took off the 997 GT2 nose from my newly purchased C4S I found the radiator areas had a lot of debris stuck in there - mostly leaves. The radiators (side) had about 95% exposed area, but it was interesting the amount of junk that collected in there. I guess it will be an anual maintenance thing to clean the gunk out. The drivers side radiator had been replaced by a prior owner as it was leaking - but also the fender liner behind it (he told me it was cracked and he wanted it perfect...) - so who knows what really happened...
DC4
Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

@norcoastal,

is your gt2 nose factory or fiberglass ?

I have the exact same car color as yours and I really like your nose

can you list the part, price and where you purchased them ?
what worry me most is to match the bumper paint with my now 7 years old slate gray...
also adding 4k on the car price is hard to justify when I could add 5 more and buy myself a turbo...even though I think I have been quite lucky with my car, so I am still considering it
Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

BE CAREFUL is what I'd tell anyone. These noses give you very little ground clearance - I was scraping on any bump or gentle rise. Keep in mind I do have the shorter springs so that didn't help this issue. (but keep reading) The nose is a Wicked Motor Works item. Color and finish matches good - but I think that was the easy part. I did not put it on, that was a prior owner (that I've since had the pleasure of meeting via LinkedIn and asked a hundred questions). I am not impressed with fit and finish and upon buying the car REALLY considered finding a used 996 MkII nose. But after jiggering around with it and making a lot of changes to the attachement points, I am really liking how it looks - this car gets a lot of attention at every light (the Speed Yellow paint and 997 turbo wheels don't hurt either) - unlike my stockish Guards Red 964. Not sure I can recommend Wicked though. They sell 'em thru ebay. Anyhow, here is what I did to get it in better repair:
*New side attachment brackets (behind side marker lights - both were broken).
*New side marker lights - lost LH side - popped out due to improper fit to WMS fiberglass nose.
*I fabricated a clip to hold the nose to the new side bracket as alignment was absent.
*I drilled and tapped the bracket under the spare tire in two places - and bolted the bottom of the nose to it with SS bolts.
*I removed the lower valence lip and sprayed the FRP behind it flat black - looks great and I gained about 1.5" of ground clearance (top pic vs. bottom)
*Used a dremel tool to modify fit of 997 floating blinkers and side marker lights - neither fits well into the WMS locations - the FRP mold must not have been accurate to the 997 GT2 original.

Still to accomplish:
*Smoke side markers not lit - need to figure out how to adapt from stock MkII sockets to newer 997 side markers.
*Wheel liner gap - there is a 1 - 2" gap between nose's inner wheel lip and the stock wheel liner in front of the front wheels - it looks bad. I've got the black ABS (?) to fill it in, just have to figure out how to do it so it looks right. I asked WMS how to deal with it..."buy a new one". Nope.

All in all - I really like the look of the 997 GT2 nose - it is unique and makes the car look more aggressive and newer. So if you like your present car, give it a try.

I have to add finally, that I was in the market for a turbo as well, but figured the extra expense for insurance wasn't worth it - you already know the performance of your C4S, in my case I really don't need anything more out of the car - tapping the long pedal and feeling this thing squirt out from under me is just fine...

DC4

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 06-06-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Dave, I love the nose and the color.

I believe mine is a Porsche part. It's not fiberglass its a softer plastice like the original.

I too have ground clearence issues. That's how I know it's a Porsche part. I scrapped and broke the lower lip coming down out of a parking lot (the clearance is soo low) and when I removed it to try and find a manufactorer so I can replace it, it was a Porsche part number. I just ordered a new one from Porsche.

My question to you is, can you explain that you did to cut the lower lip? Without it, mine looks odd?

The fitment of the nose is actually very good.

I really like yoyr wheels. The wheels on my car are great but I don't thing that they are aggressive enough for a GT nose.

I actually have them posted for a trade on this site and I'm getting some good response.

The other question is, what wheels would be best with this nose? Turbo Twists or the spoked ones?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Hi Steve,
The bottom lip was a stick on part - it is also a potential factory lip - it was in such bad shape I threw it into the garbage. Taking it off took 1 minute or so, couple of bitty screws was all that held it on. Once off, there was another valance behind it, but not so low to the ground. Once painted flat black, it looks like it is supposed to be that way. There are even some duct-like looking fitments in the molding. You can see them in the top pic under the driver side air scoop.
Good luck with the wheels - IMHO you need something more aggressive. Mine are 997 turbo wheels - they are VERY wide. The front spacers are too wide in my opinion, I'll probably take them off and put something a bit thinner in. It looks like the top of the wheel should scrape the upper fender molding - but it must JUST clear it.

DC4
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM
norcoastal
Pro

What do you think of the Sport Classics II?

Quick Reply: Those of you with a turbo or GT2 nose.