Sponsored by:

Let's talk AFTERMARKET Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk AFTERMARKET Mufflers

So, I am building a list of the gifts that my 996 needs. I certainly thought that I would be happy with it "out of the box." But, I can't help myself. Between the dash and console changes, white faced gauges, I have been thinking of aftermarket mufflers.

I have read the website for Fister Mufflers. They are reasonably priced $225 with exchange, and they sound great (through PC speakers). I asked about HP gains, and he just chuckled at me and said that there is no such animal as a HP gain with a muffler change, considering that the backpressure was going to be constrained by the CAT's. That made sense to me.

Read the website for Billy Boat Mufflers. They claim for a 996 (they don't say if this is for the TT or N/A version), there is a 23 HP gain. But their set-up costs $1,199. A bit pricey.

Does anyone have experience with either of these? I can manage the Fister without too much wallet pain. The BB's are pricey, but to get a 10% increase in HP, that might be worth the moolah. That is IF I get that kind of HP boost. What is the consensus??

larry
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

23hp gain. Not going to happen by changing to a different muffler. I was going to do the fisters but grabbed a nice used set of fabspeed cans which I'm very happy with.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Well, horsepower gains from any exhaust system are based on so many variables that the only reasonable course of action is caveat emptor.

My personal observation and research of aftermarket exhaust systems has lead me to believe that the more "horsepower" claimed, the less "muffler" of the sound. Any horsepower gains are generally found at the very top of the rev range, with parallel loss of torque at the lower end. However, that observation is a absolutely a generality.

I selected FVD supplied Dansk Sport mufflers for my car based on a good price from a known supplier. I can't quantify the sound in writing, and laptop sound bites tell you nothing about the real world sound.

I haven't heard about too many "bad" exhaust systems installed by 996 Rennlisters. I attribute that to two factors: 1) most aftermarket systems make a nice sound 2) few are bold enough to admit they pissed away $1,500 on a system that turned out to be too noisy after all. A quick way to find out what may have been a mistake is to look at the FS ads for "nearly new" aftermarket take-offs.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
bkjwhipple
Pro

I got the fabspeed supercups for $850 ish and they are very free flowing and have a great sound... however the big gain to me was the fact that they weigh 18 1/2 lbs for the pair... that is a huge weight savings at the rear of the car. .... :-) sometimes weight savings is just as important as HP gains.

Last edited by bkjwhipple; 11-12-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: bad spulling
Old 11-12-2010, 01:36 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got Fisters Exhaust and it fits perfectly what I am looking for. No drone and not too loud, but loud enough for my ears and will not annoy anybody. I could not be happier.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 for the Fister D's and Darin is fantastic to work with. He does beautiful work and as it has been said in here b4 by many others,...the best bang for the buck, if a better SOUND is what you are looking for
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also a FisterD convert, and I love the sound. However, if you want to lose weight and have a deeper sound, there are plenty of other choices, but they'll cost you more $.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know what is the absolutely lightest exhaust
system in the market for a 996 C4S/turbo?
I am going to assume it must be made of Titanium. If so,
does anyone in here have one?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a set of stock 996 C4S mufflers modified by Hergesheimer MotorSports in CA. They were cut in half and totally gutted then welded back together. They are now on my friends 996 C2. I think this is one of the best mods. The mufflers are very very light and the sound is awesome. Not loud and no drone and no low end performance loss as some after market mufflers cause. It sounds like a 12 cylinder Ferrari..
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Does anyone know what is the absolutely lightest exhaust
system in the market for a 996 C4S/turbo?
I am going to assume it must be made of Titanium. If so,
does anyone in here have one?
it would prob be bypass pipes.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant complete exhaust system, not bypass pipes.
I am going to assume Titanium, I am just wondering what
make, and if any reenlister has one.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Fister mod or gut them.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Another vote for Fister D. Couldn't be happier.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 424 Posts

My fabspeeds are very good, but if price is a factor go with fister Ds...you really cant go wrong with them.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
fjr_wertheimber

Originally Posted by pmkazz
I had a set of stock 996 C4S mufflers modified by Hergesheimer MotorSports in CA. They were cut in half and totally gutted then welded back together. They are now on my friends 996 C2. I think this is one of the best mods. The mufflers are very very light and the sound is awesome. Not loud and no drone and no low end performance loss as some after market mufflers cause. It sounds like a 12 cylinder Ferrari..
Got any video of that? What was the cost, if I may ask? Sounds like it'd be pretty sweet...

Quick Reply: Let's talk AFTERMARKET Mufflers