Sponsored by:

cleaning hardtop window

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:01 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cleaning hardtop window

I have a hardtop for my 02 cab that I cannot reach the bottom of the rear window to clean. The problem is the window extends below the parcel shelf and it is too tight a squeeze to get anything in the space. You can see the bottom inch or so of dirty glass and parcel shelf from the outside. Any idea if the parcel shelf can be removed without removing the rear glass? How?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Uh....why don't you just remove the hard top, clean the glas really well, then reinstall?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trying to clean the hardtop rear window has always been irritating. Seems poorly designed...clearly with no thought of long term maintenance.

This window cleaner tool (and other brands similar to the Griot's version) is the best I've found to get in the crevice. There are several out there that are essentially the same.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...cleaner+set.do

I asked the dealer about removing the shelf - not a simple thing to do.

I suppose a thin strip of plastic or metal might do better. But the fabric on mine is somewhat rough & attracts lint from whatever you're using.

I still apply liquid cleaner by hand with a sponge. I thought the terry cloth cover for the window tool left too much lint, so I have ended up just using the tool to push around a paper towel to clean/dry the glass. Still can't get the last bottom inch or so of the glas because it's covered by fabric.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Search is your friend.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-window.html

Also, on Renntech:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...__1#entry58458

Looks like several folks have gone with removing the shelf at the back of the hard top, cleaning, then re-installing. Apparently , there is a Tech Service Bulliten (TSB) that describes how to remove it in detail.

Haven't done this myself, but I was considering it before I install my hardtop for the season.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default easy job

Thanks Frisbee 91. this was done in under an hour including taking top off and reinstalling. I taped a piece of plastic tubing into the skinny tool on my shop vac so I could get all the way down into the crevice to clear debris.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the dealer exaggerated how difficult it is to remove the shelf.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Lightbulb Finally cleaned hard top shelf

The weather is getting colder, so I finally put my hardtop on this weekend. I removed the parcel shelf in the back to clean out the stink bugs and debris that has accumulated back there. My '99 996 Cab had a slightly different design than described above and in the links.

First, remove the "speaker grille" covers that cover the hardtop locking mechanisms. One small spring clip and some plastic locating pins hold these in place. Pull up while pushing the underside of the spring clip.

Next, the carpeted parcel shelf. At the back, there were three spring clips that I pushed up from underneath with small pliers. Then, I popped the 5 hidden spring clips by pushing up on the rubber lip at the front of the parcel shelf. The shelf slid right out for easy cleaning. Careful not to scratch the plastic on the inside of the hardtop when removing the shelf.

Installation is the opposite of removal
Pics:
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly off topic, but in this same vein, is there a way to remove the interior trim pieces in the hardtop?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 PM
k9cbw
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, does anyone know the part number for the plastic cover for the front hardtop lock.? Mine seems to have been lost by the previous owner. Grrr.

Also, my roof only makes the odd creak at the front , over the windscreen/ windshield (delete as applicable) is there a tip for making this quieter or tighter? The back of the roof seems perfectly adjusted.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k9cbw
By the way, does anyone know the part number for the plastic cover for the front hardtop lock.? Mine seems to have been lost by the previous owner. Grrr.
You can get one here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...teriorHardtops

Not worth it, IMO (I don't have one either). Looks like the part # is 996.563.551.00.01C (black).

Originally Posted by k9cbw
Also, my roof only makes the odd creak at the front , over the windscreen/ windshield (delete as applicable) is there a tip for making this quieter or tighter? The back of the roof seems perfectly adjusted.
There is a Porsche TSB entitled "Noises in the Hardtop." It has several pages of fixes for various hardtop related noises. You can download it from Renntech if you are a member.

Last edited by KoB; 11-21-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added part # for latch cover

Quick Reply: cleaning hardtop window