For Hard Top Owners - cleaning window

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default For Hard Top Owners - cleaning window

As I'm prepping for a concours here in town this weekend I wanted to pass on some useful information when it comes to cleaning the bottom-most area of the rear window of the hardtop. As you have discovered, the 'parcel shelf' hits that window at a very acute angle making it virtually impossible to get down in there to both clean the window and to get the lint off the parcel shelf later.

What I've done to solve this is to remove the parcel shelf. It's easier than you'd think but I wouldn't do it often. Only if it really starts to bother you. With the top well supported (I have it suspended from the ceiling of my garage on a hoist) I got underneath it and removed the two pseudo rear 'speaker' enclosures where the bolts are housed. There is a snap in connection on the front of those and then two other little things that keep them in position,--little fear of breaking anything there,--they're tough. Once out, take the parcel shelf's leading edge (seen from the front) and pop it out of its snap ins (5 total). Then take a Phillips screwdriver to the 3 screws located further back. Once done, you can start to pull the entire shelf out toward the front. You'll have to bow it a bit to clear the sides.

Once out I was able to clean the rear window a lot easier,--you can access it better through the cut outs and then use a lint-free towel to wipe it down. After the glass is clean get a lint roller and use it on the parcel shelf. Once you're satisfied it's time to reinstall it. Re-installation is straightforward,--and in the reverse order. Just make sure that you have the shelf centered well in the opening. Then secure the three screws and the 5 snap downs. Reinstall the pseudo grills and you're done!

Happy cleaning!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan - I have a Coupe, so this dosen't apply to me, but I couldn't resist the following:

Seriously, sounds like a good solution to the cleaning problem!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I thought the dialog was enough,--it's nothing that pictures can really capture.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As you have discovered, the 'parcel shelf' hits that window at a very acute angle making it virtually impossible to get down in there to both clean the window and to get the lint off the parcel shelf later.
I just bought a hardtop and it had a window tint on it. I was able to remove the tint using a steamer but some glue residue was left behind. After some research, I found that Windex (since it contains ammonia), a plastic razor blade and a long handle scraper worked well to remove the glue. However, I couldn't get all the way to the bottom due to the parcel shelf being in the way which was driving me nuts. Thanks for the post, now I should be able to finish the job!

Quick Reply: For Hard Top Owners - cleaning window