Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who can repair/refin machined wheel lip????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
johnny1423
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can repair/refin machined wheel lip????

HELP
My perfect set of Sport Designs are no longer "perfect" due to a careless turn today.
Who can repair this to near perfect??? I would remove the tire and ship while car is in winter storage....
I know wheel enhancement could...but i am in Ky and they are in CA...any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Johnny1423:

Not sure if you get Autoweek or if they are still advertizing in the back, but there is a wheel company in the greater Boston area that does nice work. I think it is called "wheel works" and they moved a couple of years ago, as they needed bigger space. If I remember, correctly they moved to Newton, MA. You can google them, they fixed a rim for me on my old Audi..her husband started the business, he's gone, she continues.........nice people, and the freight is less to Boston than to Cali...hope that this helps.
r\
scott
Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

that appears to be mostly surface damage. Most cities have one go-to source for on-site wheel repair, and when those guys are done (the good ones) you can hardly tell. $75 ish per wheel. Call the highline dealers around you (Porsche, MB, etc) and ask who does their wheel repair. You'll find a common name and just go get it done. If you don't like it when done, send it off. I've had many highend wheels done this way for minor curb rash.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is an easy fix. Follow Eric's advice above.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Johnny1423:

Not sure if you get Autoweek or if they are still advertizing in the back, but there is a wheel company in the greater Boston area that does nice work. I think it is called "wheel works" and they moved a couple of years ago, as they needed bigger space. If I remember, correctly they moved to Newton, MA. You can google them, they fixed a rim for me on my old Audi..her husband started the business, he's gone, she continues.........nice people, and the freight is less to Boston than to Cali...hope that this helps.
r\
scott
I assume you're thinking of Rim and Wheel Works (now in Waltham, but used to be in Newton): http://www.rimandwheelworks.com. Really nice people; great to work with, and can handle just about anything that can safely be done.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 PM
johnny1423
Pro

thanks guys....yes i know of mobile guys who do a good job..the problem is with this wheel they would only fill/sand/ and paint the lip and try to match the machined shade...not actually perfect.
I called Mary at rim wheel works...$285 to redo the entire wheel.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:59 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

You should be able to get a much lower price for that repair. I paid ~$125 locally in Toronto, to repair more severe damage to the same style Sport design wheel. On mine, the rash went around about 40% of the circumference of the wheel and the barrel also needed to be re-trued. The wheel center on mine was in near perfect shape and didn't need any work. The lip was re-machined and clear coated and looked brand new when I got it back.
Hope this helps.

Aron
Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
You should be able to get a much lower price for that repair. I paid ~$125 locally in Toronto, to repair more severe damage to the same style Sport design wheel. On mine, the rash went around about 40% of the circumference of the wheel and the barrel also needed to be re-trued. The wheel center on mine was in near perfect shape and didn't need any work. The lip was re-machined and clear coated and looked brand new when I got it back.
Hope this helps.

Aron
Who in Toronto did the repair for you?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM
johnny1423
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
yes $125 is more like it!!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought some used Sport Designs from Fleabay and they had plenty of curb damage. My local guy,
Wheel Doctor of Gaithersberg, MD picked them up disassembled them, media-blasted, repaired and machined and polished the barrels, powder coated the centers then reassembled and clear powder coated the whole thing. Remounted and balanced the tires and delivered them to me for $1000. They look great. Look around, I'm sure you can find someone local, if not ship it to him.
http://www.wheeldoctorinc.com

Last edited by Gaspasser19; 10-23-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Just had all 4 of mine done. Here are the before and after pictures.
Attached Images      
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I believe BBS makes that wheel & at one time BBS would replace the Stainless edge guard, your best option if you are looking for perfect. Otherwise the brushed finish can be restored by remachining simular to the way a brake rotor is turned. The trick is to only cut the damaged area or recut the entire area to the original brushed finish. Personaly I would attempt to do this myself since it is such a small area & it could be made 80% easily & I wouldn't be very upset the next time it happened.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
I had the wheel repaired by Old Park Auto Service but they farmed the work out to Union Rim Repair.

I have the invoice from Union Rim Repair and the cost was $120 (+$6 GST) to "Machine & Straighten". They also clearcoated the machined lip.

I did this as I was selling the wheel to lister named chsu74, and agreed to do the repair before sending him the wheel. He may be able to let you know how the finish has held up.

Link to Union Rim Repair: http://www.unionrim.com/13101.html
Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Aron.

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
I had the wheel repaired by Old Park Auto Service but they farmed the work out to Union Rim Repair.

I have the invoice from Union Rim Repair and the cost was $120 (+$6 GST) to "Machine & Straighten". They also clearcoated the machined lip.

I did this as I was selling the wheel to lister named chsu74, and agreed to do the repair before sending him the wheel. He may be able to let you know how the finish has held up.

Link to Union Rim Repair: http://www.unionrim.com/13101.html

Quick Reply: Who can repair/refin machined wheel lip????