Sponsored by:

Removable Harness Bar for Cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removable Harness Bar for Cab

Is there a harness bar that can be easily removed or the cross brace easily removed? Having a blast with the cab in DE but it is still primarily a family car and I need access to the back seats between events. I definitely do not want a roll bar. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify I mean that the bar would be very easily removable. I know anything that goes in can come out but I mean in seconds like with pins or something quick.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I asked the same question to someone who uses his Cabrio a lot for DEs and the simplest one seems to be the bolt-in DAS rollbar. (https://www.dassport.com/store/categ...olet-Roll-Bars)

It does require two holes to be drilled and also uses the seatbelt mounting bolts.

But even so the removal/installation process takes minutes not seconds. So I don't think there's anything quick that also passes safety inspections.

I'm thinking of going this route myself. So if you find anything better let me know!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess the big question is what you are using it with? Do you have race buckets and harnesses? If so, since you have to remove the seats (I assume you do between events) then you can remove the bolt in bar as well.

If you don't want a bolt in roll bar then another option is the BK harness bar. I ran it in my CAB. See attached pic. It bolts in 4 places (the lower seat belt anchors for the front and rear).
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

I don't have anything yet and wasn't looking for a full roll bar--just a harness bar. If I went all the way it would be Euro GT3 Seats, a harness and a bar. I would like to remove the harness bar and harness between events and use the seats as daily drivers. Thoughts?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You MUST have race buckets with the appropriate routing holes for the harness (shoulder, lap, and sub) or you will NOT be allowed to participate in a DE. Not only is this the new rules PCA put in place recently, it is VERY dangerous.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Dell, there's no point in aquiring the seats and harness if I don't first have the bar right? What good is the harness with nothing to anchor it to? Am I missing something or not understanding?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
You MUST have race buckets with the appropriate routing holes for the harness (shoulder, lap, and sub) or you will NOT be allowed to participate in a DE. Not only is this the new rules PCA put in place recently, it is VERY dangerous.
Interesting.

Dell, are you saying that you can no longer participate in DE events with the PCA using only stock 3-point belts?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Interesting.

Dell, are you saying that you can no longer participate in DE events with the PCA using only stock 3-point belts?
You can use stock belts in certain classes. Since the OP was asking about harnesses, what Dell is saying is you can't use a harness unless your seat has manufactured holes for the shoulder harnesses.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rwiii
I don't have anything yet and wasn't looking for a full roll bar--just a harness bar. If I went all the way it would be Euro GT3 Seats, a harness and a bar. I would like to remove the harness bar and harness between events and use the seats as daily drivers. Thoughts?
I believe most GT3 seats are solid backs (ie, they do not fold forward to allow access to rear seats), so unless you change the seats out too, it will be tough to use the back seat.

If you only run solo, you can just put a seat on the driver's side and leave regular passenger seat in or you can get the seats that do fold forward (should be ok for DE at most clubs).
Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Before I invest in the proper seats and harness I was checking to see if there is a bar I could pop in and out. My kids like to climb over the door "Dukes of Hazard" style so I'm not overly converned racing seats won't lean forward. Heck, the way they're growing the back seats may be useless soon anyway.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Asquared
You can use stock belts in certain classes. Since the OP was asking about harnesses, what Dell is saying is you can't use a harness unless your seat has manufactured holes for the shoulder harnesses.
Thanks, I should have read Dell's explanation twice.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Before I invest in the proper seats and harness I was checking to see if there is a bar I could pop in and out. My kids like to climb over the door "Dukes of Hazard" style so I'm not overly converned racing seats won't lean forward. Heck, the way they're growing the back seats may be useless soon anyway.
I went down this route with my Cab. Long story short, think about the level of commitment to track driving that you want to make. Where will it take you in a year or so. For me it was keep the Cab. as a DD, and get a coupe for the track.
Just trying to push you further down that slippery slope...

But back to your topic, safety first...always.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Interesting.

Absolutely not saying that. In fact, I run with the GT3 race buckets using the 3 point belts.

Dell, there's no point in aquiring the seats and harness if I don't first have the bar right? What good is the harness with nothing to anchor it to? Am I missing something or not understanding?
The point I am making is that if you buy the bar, then it is for running with harnesses. To run with harnesses you MUST have the proper seat for them. If I were you, I would get the seats FIRST and then as the budget allows, add the harness bar and harnesses.

Originally Posted by Asquared
Bingo.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

[QUOTE=LVDell;7911353]Absolutely not saying that. In fact, I run with the GT3 race buckets using the 3 point belts.

My misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Removable Harness Bar for Cab