Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM
frankfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarguy56
I am guessing that your Indy hasn't ever replaced one and does not want to buy the proper tools to do it with. LN website offers 8 or 10 certified installers all over the country. One should be near you.

Can't believe that there are no certified installers in the NY, NJ or Ct. area with all the Porsches around here.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by frankfast
Can't believe that there are no certified installers in the NY, NJ or Ct. area with all the Porsches around here.
We had one Certified Installer in NJ.

They failed to exercise the proper judgment on one occasion, and retrofitted an engine that had a failing original bearing. The same day that LN received their bearing registration, with the failing bearing included, I pulled their Certification status. Pure stupidity was executed on that one.

There's no margin of error for these installers. One goof, and they are done. Its tough to attain the Certification, and even tougher to retain it. These shops can't just Retrofit every car that comes in their doors, like other shops continue to do.

The right installer hasn't come our way yet from that region.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:15 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We had one Certified Installer in NJ.

They failed to exercise the proper judgment on one occasion, and retrofitted an engine that had a failing original bearing. The same day that LN received their bearing registration, with the failing bearing included, I pulled their Certification status. Pure stupidity was executed on that one.

There's no margin of error for these installers. One goof, and they are done. Its tough to attain the Certification, and even tougher to retain it. These shops can't just Retrofit every car that comes in their doors, like other shops continue to do.

The right installer hasn't come our way yet from that region.
Jake,

Curious...What was done for the customer after this was discovered?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rolex11
Jake,

Curious...What was done for the customer after this was discovered?
I believe the shop got the car back at their location and carried out some oil flushes. Other than that, I have no idea.

Any issue would ha e been between the shop and the owner, and no warranty claims were ever made, so it must have worked out ok. That was over 3 years ago.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I believe the shop got the car back at their location and carried out some oil flushes. Other than that, I have no idea.

Any issue would ha e been between the shop and the owner, and no warranty claims were ever made, so it must have worked out ok. That was over 3 years ago.
I believe there's a certified installer in Allentown, PA.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Name:  IMG_5990.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  88.9 KB
Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

^ that was funny until a month ago....
Old 12-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Hartech IMS thread

I read this
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108257

pretty interesting, has anyone done this with any level of success in the US ?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture
Hartech IMS thread

I read this

I read a few posts there but it's not clear to me what "this" you're referring to. DOF?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Hartech IMS thread

I read this

If you are referring to removal of the outer IMS Bearing seal on the original bearing, then yes, this isn't new and originated here in the USA.

In the old days, before I developed the IMS Retrofit procedure the factory and everyone else said the IMS Bearing was non- removable. It was said to be impossible.

One of the very early things we started doing to extend the lives of original bearings during this initial period was to remove the seal, as mentioned in the thread you referenced. It's all we could do with the engine assembled, at the time. It's also the reason why the LN Engineering Retrofit bearings have no seal, and never have.

Now, this does help; but, the major issue with doing only this today is all the years of wear that the Bearing has seen before pulling the seal.

Also, since the major issue effecting these bearings is load. Increasing lubrication may help keep the bearing cooler, but load isn't addressed.

The reason why M97 bearings have proven not to fail is because they are 26% larger in diameter and can carry more load.

Please don't confuse The IMS Solution with a "DOF" system. Look up US Patent 9,416,697 and see who holds the Patent to remote oil delivery (by any means) to the IMS region. FYI
Old 12-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Also, since the major issue effecting these bearings is load. Increasing lubrication may help keep the bearing cooler, but load isn't addressed.
what is the difference in load between the early Classic Single Row and OEM ?

I had the CSR installed just over 2 years ago, and it is an open seal design, my OEM sits (like others)
as a paperweight, completely void of grease

Spin on oil filter adapter and the recommended NAPA filter
I changed the oil 1,700 miles after the retrofit ( done@ 27,000) and that filter was perfectly clean (still stored)
and changed the filter again at 31,600 when I installed the filter adapter, again perfectly clean
and the UOA with oil change was excellent
Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

This is one for Charles Navarro. He'll be here shortly.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

what is the difference in load between the early Classic Single Row and OEM ?

I had the CSR installed just over 2 years ago, and it is an open seal design, my OEM sits (like others)
as a paperweight, completely void of grease

Spin on oil filter adapter and the recommended NAPA filter
I changed the oil 1,700 miles after the retrofit ( done@ 27,000) and that filter was perfectly clean (still stored)
and changed the filter again at 31,600 when I installed the filter adapter, again perfectly clean
and the UOA with oil change was excellent
The Classic Single Row uses a ceramic hybrid 6204 bearing. Load capacity is a function of the bearing size, number of *****, diameter of the *****, etc., but if you compare any 6204 to another, load capacity is the same. The sintered silicon nitride ***** used in all IMS Retrofit kits have reduced mass, reduced friction, and reduced wear compared to conventional 52100-steel ball bearings. Race material between a conventional steel ball bearing and the ceramic hybrid is the same - both utilize 52100 bearing steel.

The Single Row Pro, by adding a second row of *****, doubles the load capacity. Until Jake figured out a method to retain and tool to install a dual row bearing into a single row shaft, a classic single row IMS Retrofit OR IMS Solution were the only options available.

The reason why the factory dual row bearing has such a lower reported rate of failure is because it has double the load capacity of the later single row bearing used.

By using an open bearing, the IMS bearing is exposed to an oil bath. Remember, the M96/M97 engine is wet sump, not dry sump!

Using a quality oil, having a low temperature thermostat, and adding extra cooling via larger radiators or external oil cooler to the engine, or adding extra oil capacity are all things that can directly affect bearing and engine life.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Thanks Charles, Jake

just curious if there were any long term results from M96's with the just the seal pulled
They have quite a different attitude across the pond

I'm quite happy with the CSR and spin on adaptor
Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

As someone about to take delivery of an '02 C4S, I want to thank you all for taking the time to provide the content in this thread.

I don't want to spend 50%+ of the car I'm buying on rebuilding a motor, so it appears I'll be having the IMS Solution installed.

Jake, you seem to have one installer in/around Toronto - Liam Kelly & Keltech Performance. I've never heard of his shop. He's definitely not one of the 3-5 go-to shops in the Canadian section of this forum. Have you sold him many of these kits?

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)