Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IMS Solution

I am thinking of having one of your qualified shops install the IMS Solution on my C4S. Can you offer some Rennlisters a holiday discount :thumbs:. I had previously installed the IMS retrofit on my old C2.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
guitarguy56
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOF IMS Modification

I too am a new 996 owner. I am interested in the DOF modification and anyone's take on it compared to the ceramic bearing replacement.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:52 AM
tyork
2nd Gear

Anyone use the LN Engineering IMS Solution that does not use a roller bearing and is oil fed?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tyork
Anyone use the LN Engineering IMS Solution that does not use a roller bearing and is oil fed?
The IMS Solution is not an LN product, its offered by IMS Solution LLC and distributed by LN. My name is on the Patent as Inventor.

If you'd like to contact those who have the IMS Solution, you may find a few here, but most lurk and don't post.

I have dozens of contacts of owners that you can reach out to that have had the unit installed here at flat 6. I won't share their info, but I can contact them, to see if they'll contact you with their story.

All my engines receive the IMS Solution, after all, thats the reason I invented, developed, and brought the unit to market in the first place.

Please don't confuse technologies; the IMS Solution may be oil fed, but the oil is delivered into the IMS Flange, where it is the delivered directly to the internal clearances of the plain bearing in a controlled fashion. This is not to be confused with the delivery of oil that is uncontrollably sprayed onto the face of a dynamic ball or roller bearing component.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:06 PM
tyork
2nd Gear

Default IMS Solution

Thank you for the clarification. Are Porsche dealers certified installers for this part? I'm in Ohio and it looks like Kraftwwerks is the only Ohio installer I see.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

10% of cars affected according to the essential 996 guide. 2% according to the senior most technician at RUF Autocentre here in Dallas. What are the numbers like here? I'll be reading the thread in the meanwhile.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
10% of cars affected according to the essential 996 guide. 2% according to the senior most technician at RUF Autocentre here in Dallas. What are the numbers like here? I'll be reading the thread in the meanwhile.
Depends on the bearing (dual or single) you are talking about and who you talk to (and in some cases how they feel on that day). I've seen claims as low as 1% and as high as 20%. There is no actual hard data and about the closest you can get is the class action info which if I remember correctly tagged the single row bearing at about 5%.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:59 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

The active oiling setup SOUNDS logical but you must ask yourself if this is a solution looking for a problem like we say in the gun building business.....given the percentages as well.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM
guitarguy56
6th Gear

Talking IMS Discussion

I feel that you are right on the issue of DOF. I think that I am going to go with the LN Bearing solution. I wish that the new double-row bearing IMS Solution was available, but not until later this year, I am told.

Thanks to all who replied to this post!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:19 PM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 996 owner

Got answer I was looking for. Thanks

Last edited by SoCalMark; 01-25-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: got my answer
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM
billhk
AutoX

Jake

any idea where i can get your bearing installed in HK? I have asked you 5months ago and nobody knows about it here
Old 02-03-2016, 06:54 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anyone heard of a failure of the LN Engineering bearing or any of the other "solutions"?

Also, when you see a car advertised stating, "Engine replaced by Porsche due to failure", what IMS bearing would that engine have?

Last edited by LeNoah; 02-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:14 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LeNoah
Also, when you see a car advertised stating, "Engine replaced by Porsche due to failure", what IMS bearing would that engine have?
That depends on the year it was replaced. I believe anything after 2005 will have the captured bearing. Prior to that it would most likely have been a single row.

As far as your other question. Engines have failed with after market bearings in them (I am not aware of any Solution motors failing though). The problem, however, is that while claims have been made that it was the bearing that was at fault (specifically targeting LN) it has never been proven. Questions about the state of the motor at the time of the swap (e.g. putting the bearing into a motor that is already failing) or if it was one of the other types of failures that these motors can experience and the bearing was collateral damage go unanswered. They just pull the transmission, see that the bearing is trashed, and blame the bearing.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Mark70
AutoX

Default Flynn Automotive

Hello Everyone ,
Just had the LN Engineering update for my 1999 Porsche 996 911 C2 done at a great independent shop in Narragansett , RI. I would highly recommend them as the technician who performed mine is a Porsche enthusiast and owner ( Old School 1984 911). I recently purchased the car with 35k on the clock. He went through the entire car front to back and did IMS B double row , RMS , OEM clutch kit , flywheel , slave cylinder , updated 997 ignition coils , sparkplugs , new PS2 tires and alignment , and a little touch up work to the battery tray/firewall area for corrosion. Car feels amazing , felt amazing before but to a new level now. anyone in the RI , CT , MA ,and Metro area should give these guys a try. Reasonable pricing , use only OEM supplier parts , and are flexible with any request or questions you have.
So bearing was at stage 1 failure , seals intact , grease washed out and engine oil inside , bearing was in perfect shape but who knows for how long with that rancid oil in there. I don't know why the Porsche just didn't leave off the oil or grease seals for the bearing, it would probably lived to 100k plus if they did. Anyway , great shop highly recommend.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts
Default IMS bearing replacement

Any specific recommendations as to the best shop to install an aftermarket bearing in South Orange County, CA? My usual go-to guy doesn't really believe in changing it out until there are signs in the oil/filter that something is starting to fail.

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)