Sponsored by:

Rear-facing car seat for 9mo 22lb

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear-facing car seat for 9mo 22lb

I'm planning to purchase a 2002 targa, out of town, while on vacation with my wife and 9mo son. He just graduated from his infant seat, due to weight, and is now rides in an Evenflo Symphony 65 when we drive our Mitsubishi Lancer.

I must find a rear-facing seat that accomodates a 22+ pound kid that will fit in the back seat of the Targa.

If this is absolutely impossible, my whole dream vacation will be pooched!!

I've searched the forum but everybody only references small infant seats and forward-facing seats, as far as I've seen.

Please help urgently!

Geoff
Ottawa Canada

Last edited by Targatoo; 09-07-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can't say for sure a seat will or not fit, the larger issue with the rear facing seat is

1) If you put it in the rear, the front seat becomes useless (must be moved all the way forward and possibly, tilted forward.. plus you will never be able to contort yourself or child into and out of, the rear facing seat

2) not sure you can run it in front, unless all airbags can be turned off, and the wife rides in the rear

3) I'd simply suggest waiting till "junior" can sit forward.. problem kind of solves itself that way.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

We couldn't find a thing. There was that time gap from about 7 or 8 months until 1 year that we couldn't put our boy in the p-car. Funny thing, we actually bought another car just so we had another car that would accommodate a rear facing seat that would go up to the weight we needed. But in the "compact" size rear facing seats you won't find what you are looking for.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

This is what I used (and still use)

http://recaroyoungsport.org/

Here it is on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Recaro-Young-S.../dp/B000AHRGL4

The price is probably competitive, but I bought my seats several years ago and do not know the current price.

The price might seem steep, but bear in mind that if you choose to this seat will last right up until the child no longer has to be in a seat (personally, I've gone for smaller and smaller seats as my kids get older), then it's great value for money.

In terms of safety, there's no beating a Recaro seat.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

He needs rear facing foo!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
He needs rear facing foo!

Ahh, I missed that. We went straight from the infant carrier to the Recaro - was never an issue for us.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone heard of (or tried) a Graco Snugride 32? It's an infant style seat that is good up to 32lbs and 32 inches. I need to find a neighbour with one and swap for my vacation (if it will fit...)

Anyone?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've wondered about the same thing and this is my current configuration for both kids.

It doesn't really help for the fact that Porsche no longer makes this exact model but they do come up for sale time to time...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The problem is fitment of a rear facing. We have gone through countless iterations to find the best seats possible here. I even started a thread last year about what models work best, etc..

The Graco snugride is the only rear facing that fits properly AND allows for somebody to somewhat sit in the seat in front. That is why most of us have a gap from about 7 or 8 months until 1 year so we can move to a forward facing.

I know you really want it to work, but there isn't a solution that is both funtional (allow somebody to sit in front as well) as well as SAFE.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

The problem is fitment of a rear facing. We have gone through countless iterations to find the best seats possible here. I even started a thread last year about what models work best, etc..

The Graco snugride is the only rear facing that fits properly AND allows for somebody to somewhat sit in the seat in front. That is why most of us have a gap from about 7 or 8 months until 1 year so we can move to a forward facing.

I know you really want it to work, but there isn't a solution that is both funtional (allow somebody to sit in front as well) as well as SAFE.

Regardless if it's forward facing(non booster seat) or rearward facing, I can't see how anyone can sit comfortably that is 5'9" or taller. I'm 5'8" and have the forward facing seat behind me with my 12 mo son and it is on the brink of being tight.

My wife that is 5'4" on the passenger side with the rearward facing factory Porsche baby seat(Britax) that is also on the brink of being tight.

This is clearly for the shorter Sunday drives and not long trip solutions imo.

my $.02
Old 09-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How about mounting the child seat dead center using both rear seat belts? With rear seats folded down. Also could try removing seat cushions to lower child seat. This can't be that hard to come up with something.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

alpine...totally agree. I am 6'1" and long legged and it's VERY tight for me to drive. However, I make it work so I can run around town for short trips here and there with my 2 year old since he always says "Daddy, please take Turbo". Melts your heart.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

alpine...totally agree. I am 6'1" and long legged and it's VERY tight for me to drive. However, I make it work so I can run around town for short trips here and there with my 2 year old since he always says "Daddy, please take Turbo". Melts your heart.
I think a lot if not all Porsche owner's that are new dad's are going to agree. I know for me that is one of the appeals of having a Porsche w/ rear seats(small but seats nontheless) and still be considered in the exotic sports car category. To be able to cart around your family(albeit with slightly less comfort) is priceless and more than makes up for it with the smiles you see from your loved ones being able to share the thrilling ride with you. K, gonna stop getting so sentimental...
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Britax Companion fits great for rear facing!

...then Roundabout for forward facing.
For the Roundabout, I removed the back seat both top and bottom, then replaced the seat cushion with some high density foam (about 3 inch thick) and reversed the seat belt (receiver end). I press the seat hard into the foam and it locks down tight. ...longer time in that seat - up to 35+ lbs.

Quick Reply: Rear-facing car seat for 9mo 22lb