Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the best place to live when you enjoy driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wayne,

That's too bad you have a conflict!

OK here is a solution: Just ship your car over to Greenville, and I'll dirve it on the Dragon. At least your car will have a good time!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Wayne,

That's too bad you have a conflict!

OK here is a solution: Just ship your car over to Greenville, and I'll dirve it on the Dragon. At least your car will have a good time!

Yeah, I'm bummed - missing a get together with you and playing on the dragon would have been fun. I'm in PA this weekend and will be driving the 996 down to Cary on Monday... Finally!

I'm getting together with Phil for breakfast tomorrow if you would like to join us.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I am in Dallas this weekend, so I guess I won't be able to make breakfast!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I am in Dallas this weekend, so I guess I won't be able to make breakfast!
the two of us have to stop splitting our time between states - it's very confusing. I figured you were in Greenville.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I wish I could hear about some resident of the Isle of Man, from what I heard, no speed limit on the back roads ! Germany autobahn is nice but speeding on the highway is a bit boring moreover most of them are only two lane. Living nearby the Nurhburgring should be quite fun for a year or two
But so far I think North Carolina take the cake with the mountain and the ocean, without the outrageous cost of living of California.

I saw a couple of rennlister from Asia, I wonder how good an it be over there.
No speed limit but roads are narrow and can have a another vehicle, livestock, or just about anything appear at any time.

Some UK published car mags use the island to test (bike mags too) but have spotters to ensure the road clear for those that want to make high(er) speed runs. UK car mags like Scotland roads. too.

Frankly, any road I'm driving on in my Porsche is a good road to be driving my Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hapich
Isle of Man?
http://www.mir.co.im/
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 AM
savowood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having spent a large part of my life in NC, I'd be remiss if I didn't discourage you from moving there. Tail of the Dragon is a good road, but the Draconian enforcement on that road is enough to keep me away for life. As for the rest of the state, the NCSP is a bit overzealous. Only slightly less than Virginia where I just left. Now, I'm in Austin, and I love it.

We have two tracks close by. Both are small, but a lot of fun. The cost of living is fantastic compared to DC where I moved from. The police in town are bad, but out on the roads in the countryside, they're not bad at all. Some of the roads by Lake Travis are a blast, and you can have fun at or below the speed limit.

Oh yeah, and we have Formula One coming soon. =-)
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by savowood
Tail of the Dragon is a good road, but the Draconian enforcement on that road is enough to keep me away for life.
Is it really that bad ?

That's why I'd love to hear from people outside of the USA... hoping some country are a little behind in the revenue collection...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

its a good thing all of you tourist are in NC so you dont get in my way. On the Pig Trail in the Ozarks, there virtually no traffic. On the weekends there are several 'touring' bikers so they do jamb things up. Otherwise, I can go as fast as I want. Its not for the faint of heart. The only down side is how long Ill have to lay there before somebody finds me.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...pig-trail.html

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...cenic-7-a.html
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Is it really that bad ?

That's why I'd love to hear from people outside of the USA... hoping some country are a little behind in the revenue collection...
I've heard things are bad at Tail of the Dragon but in the three times I've been there I've not seen it personally.

The key is don't try to act stupid in the middle of a summer Saturday afternoon. Go on an off day or in the early morning and you'll be okay. But when traffic is built up of course the cops have to enforce the rules because there are too many people there to have the type of driving we consider to be fun.

But yeah, I wish we could find a place that doesn't steal our money to drive our cars in an entertaining fashion.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM
savowood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many people get pulled for simply touching the line with a tire. They're vicious about speed limits. The road is often a topic for debate among the various Sheriff and AGs during campaign season.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Been to the Dragon several times. The NCHP and local Sheriffs are only going at you if you cross the yellow line or do something stupid like trying to practice trailing throttle oversteer. They have been set up at the same two spots each time, waiting for boy racers to "cross the line."

It you treat the Dragon like an 22 mile long autocross (down and back), and the edge and center lines like continuous cones, you can have some fun. And just like an autocross, you get points (on your driver's license) for violating the "cones." Generally the edge cone violation is less about points and more about becoming a tree hugger. Literally.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Park Road 37 here in San Antonio. It is about 5-10 miles long (never measured, always focusing on driving) and have about a billion turns as slow as probably 15 MPH IIRC. Very fun road.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy the future. Explore the possible journeys of life. Many people are retiring to places outside the USA. It can even be a 6 months of the year arrangement for in the USA 6 months and off to Germany for the other 6 months. I do know in the time it takes to get in the car and up to operating temp then flying it on the autobahn you have already stopped to refuel 300 miles downrange before a plane trip would take off. This is before take-off involving the combination of driving to the airport 2-3 hours before departure, checking in bags, going through security, waiting for boarding, then taxing out and getting clearence for take off. For the easy life I think Germany has its stuff straight.

Best of luck coming up with some sort of plan besides being a target for lasers and microwaves on the hwy. Of course driving isn't the only part of life but it sure helps having a 911. Cheap places to live isn't always good since some of the cheap places have life rated as cheap too.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are great roads everywhere there are elevation changes and creeks.

They key difference is traffic and law enforcement. I'd rather drive an 8-out-of-10 road with few other cars and no police than a 10-out-of-10 road with a bunch of clueless douchebags zooming around and cops looking for the slightest reason to screw with you.

Quick Reply: What is the best place to live when you enjoy driving ?