Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the best place to live when you enjoy driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
mikey55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not Kansas. The gas is probably cheaper, but all our roads are straight, level and overly patrolled.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A) Camp 18 in OR to Longview WA over the mountains.
B) Goldendale WA down to the river via Mt Adams.
C) North cascades hwy, I5 to.. in the fall.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
There isn't much good I can say about new york... Although there are 6 tracks within 5 hours of me (Lightning, Thunderbolt, Pocono, Monticello, Watkins Glen and Limerock).
Two words, Van. Bear Mountain.

Seven Lakes Pkwy to Perkins Memorial Drive up the mountain. Yee-ha!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
North Carolina - anywhere from mountains to sea.
If I could find a job down there, I would move in a heartbeat.

Really is the best all-around state in the country, IMO.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Two words, Van. Bear Mountain.

Seven Lakes Pkwy to Perkins Memorial Drive up the mountain. Yee-ha!
Originally Posted by Van
There isn't much good I can say about new york... Although there are 6 tracks within 5 hours of me (Lightning, Thunderbolt, Pocono, Monticello, Watkins Glen and Limerock).
Bear Mountain, West Point, Berkshires in Massachusetts, Poconos in Pennsylvania, Route 611 along the Delaware River in Pennsylvania.

There are quite a few but you need to get at least an hour outside of the city to see it all.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
911FM
Racer

Ratings for NJ:

- Open road quality and variety: Highways are getting better. Very limited variety. Pretty flat and boring.
- Track proximity: Good (NJMP, Summit, Monticello, Watkins Glen, Pocono, Lime Rock)
- Running cost (gas prices, insurance, taxes): Gas price is fair (+full service!!!!), High insurance and taxes.
- Weather conditions: Fair
- Quality of life overall (safety, political, food and drinks...): Actually pretty good!
- Comment: Also, good network of dealers and independents.

Overall, I don't think NJ would make it to the top 10. My personal best would be the Eifel region (home of the Nurburgring), followed by Bavaria.

FM
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gota911
Mark,

Are you going to Asheville this winter? If so, let me know when and maybe we can hook up for a cup of coffee one morning. I am working in Greenville, SC which is about 75 miles south of Asheville.

I would be glad to drive up to Asheville to meet you, assuming that my @#$%^&* Honda has enough power to make the climb up the hills/mountains to get to Asheville!
Tim,
I have totally got you covered on this. I am sending you a pm with all my contact info. When I make my next trip that way we will get together. Make more time than coffee, though. T-o-t-D is a good haul from Greenville and we will need a couple hours of driving to get there togther.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

Hey! You're not...uh...hanging out at that BMW factory, are you?

Last edited by Thundertub; 09-04-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
mikey55
Intermediate

I've driven those roads wwest and I will be back in the northwest to visit my brother and sister in a few weeks, driving the Porsche all the way for the second time this year. Love the car
Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwest
A) Camp 18 in OR to Longview WA over the mountains.
B) Goldendale WA down to the river via Mt Adams.
C) North cascades hwy, I5 to.. in the fall.
OR and WA have some gorgeous roads, but over-enforcement in OR and bad maintenance in WA make them pretty bad driver's states IMO.

Some of the good :

Maryhill and Rowena loops both make for great road photos :

And there's 821 :

And Hwy 23 & 25 behind Mt St. Helens are pretty epic.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Tim,
I have totally got you covered on this. I am sending you a pm with all my contact info. When I make my next trip that way we will get together. Make more time than coffee, though. T-0-t-D is a good haul from Greenville and we will need a couple hours of driving to get there togther.
Hey! You're not...uh...hanging out at that BMW factory, are you?

I could make it an excuse for a drive from Cary.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 PM
jacaba
3rd Gear

Default The Best Place

There's a reason why the Monterey Peninsula hosts the ALMS, Concours d"Elegance and unveils it's newest Porsches, such as the Spyder, 918 and Panamera. You can't get a better ride out of your Porsche than tactically maneuvering Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew and Andretti Curve," the G16 through Carmel Valley(Piloti named a shoe after it) and the Big Sur coastline. You and your Porsche will experience the ultimate fusion between human and engineering skills. This is a benchmark place to be.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
What is the best place to live in the US or abroad when you enjoy driving and own a 996 ?

May be you could reply with the name of the place and rate the following points from A to F:
- Where is Porsche heaven on earth:
- Open road quality and variety:
- Track proximity:
- Running cost (gas prices, insurance, taxes):
- Weather conditions:
- Quality of life overall (safety, political, food and drinks...):
- Comment:

I hope this can be a fun thread and the rage against potholes and taxes can be kept low
You have postulated a very complex question.

When you factor in all the variables, weigh them individually for impact/cost, etc. is it virtually impossible to not select the USA as a starting place.

While I very much enjoyed living in Germany for many years and driving a couple of different Porsches of mine over there the overriding issue that kills that deal are the operating costs there--fuel is prohibitively priced, as is insurance. Offset that by better drivers and better road conditions? Quite subjective.

If you can find an uncluttered area in the USA with excellent road conditions then you have a start. Are those two mutually exclusive?

To find less dense traffic you have to go north. When you go north you wind up with the possibility that the roads will be impacted by frost heaves and damage by studded snow tires.

"Porsche roads." That means twisties, without a school bus or grandpa slowing you down (considerate drivers who pull over for the Porsches). Mountain roads are the most enjoyable, and with them come stunning vistas.

Cool enough weather (or warm enough) to enjoy the roads nearly year around without putting the top up.

Sh&t. I think where I am is pretty close! This road is within a mile and a half of my house:

Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I could make it an excuse for a drive from Cary.
I have had a brief chat with Tim and we are tentatively setting Sunday, October 10th, to meet in the morning in Hendersonville. Plan is to have breakfast, then do the Dragon. Then, if time permits, do Mount Mitchell and then Black mountain Rd to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock (US 64) and back to Hendersonville.
I will be driving up from Jacksonville, Florida on Saturday and staying at a hotel in Hendersonville for those two nights, then Monday on to Peoria, IL. Tim will drive up from Greenville and then ride with me to the Dragon.

A quick check of the Deals Gap home page and announced schedules shows that weekend free (so far) of major car clubs at the Dragon. If we want to wait two weeks (NOT!) we can join the LS1GTO folks and the TCCA (Tauras Car Club of America!!!!!!!!) SHO does make me giggle to think about those two clubs on the Dragon together.

The landslide has finally been cleared, so the traffic is back up. When I went in June, the landslide had strategically occured just after the end of the Dragon and prevented new traffic from coming in from Tennessee. So the only vehicles were the ones that entered from the south and came back. No campers, RV's or trucks. It was nice.

This will give me a chance to "road" test my brandspankingnew M030 RoW suspension and PZero's.

Come join us!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Bugger! I'll be back in PA for my son's birthday. I would love to be there, but the birthday in addition to not getting home for the month prior to that trip (too much business travel) means I'll have to pass.

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I have had a brief chat with Tim and we are tentatively setting Sunday, October 10th, to meet in the morning in Hendersonville. Plan is to have breakfast, then do the Dragon. Then, if time permits, do Mount Mitchell and then Black mountain Rd to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock (US 64) and back to Hendersonville.
I will be driving up from Jacksonville, Florida on Saturday and staying at a hotel in Hendersonville for those two nights, then Monday on to Peoria, IL. Tim will drive up from Greenville and then ride with me to the Dragon.

A quick check of the Deals Gap home page and announced schedules shows that weekend free (so far) of major car clubs at the Dragon. If we want to wait two weeks (NOT!) we can join the LS1GTO folks and the TCCA (Tauras Car Club of America!!!!!!!!) SHO does make me giggle to think about those two clubs on the Dragon together.

The landslide has finally been cleared, so the traffic is back up. When I went in June, the landslide had strategically occured just after the end of the Dragon and prevented new traffic from coming in from Tennessee. So the only vehicles were the ones that entered from the south and came back. No campers, RV's or trucks. It was nice.

This will give me a chance to "road" test my brandspankingnew M030 RoW suspension and PZero's.

Come join us!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Los Angeles, We have numerous canyons roads above Malibu and Mulholland Highway, fantastic driving roads. There's Tpoanga Canyon, Old Topanga Canyon, Stunt Road, Flores Canyon, etc, etc... Then on the other end of the Valley, Tujunga and Angeles Crest, etc.

Quick Reply: What is the best place to live when you enjoy driving ?