Sponsored by:

Car & Driver (October Issue)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car & Driver (October Issue)

Does anybody really pay attention to these articles, are the comparisons really fair for the cars they choose and do they really mean anything for the average daily driver.Do Porsche enthusiast read Excellence more, I was just wondering what is the Best Magazine to susbcribe to. I already have European Car & Panorama, any suggestions. Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 11:53 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

One big issue I have with C&D reviews is that they insist on using stock tire pressures and street alignments, which gives Porsches terrible understeer (and that performance-minded drivers immediately change) and are a poor indication of real performance of these cars. I know why they do it, but when they do track tests, I'd much rather see them do reviews with tires/pressures/alignment to show what these cars are actually capable of on the track. Same with the cars they stack up against- I mean, we're familiar enough with Porsche to know where C&D is giving them a bum rap, but what about all the other cars? I have no idea what tweaks would take a few seconds off a 2011 Camaro SS's track time and show that it really is better/worse than a 2011 Mustang GT, etc.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellence for sure, 911 & Porsche world... and if you like older cars one of my favorites is Hemmings Sports & Exotics.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 PM
johnnyreb2010
Instructor

Default Which Years

Thanks sjfehr, sounds like you know a little bit about this. Marc I know you know your stuff,I have been looking at some older Porsches & am thinking about doing the same thing like you have with the older & newer versions, but I cannot decide what or which version i want. Do you have any suggestions of what might be the best years or worst years (or should i say not as good years) i know its personal preference but could you give me some pointers about some of the earlier models you like or don't & what to look out for, i've done a good bit of reading but its just really hard on deciding which is better. And i'm talking about going up to the 98 model 993's are suppose to be the best of those 3 years aren't they. Thanks for anyones input.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I am not a huge fan of Excellence, they've hyped quite a bit of information, and have been inaccurate as well. Best thing you can do is not take anything you read as truth, regardless of the medium, in my opinion. 911&Porsche world is a good one, Panorama is not bad either. Different flavors...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:55 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Everything with a grain of salt...

My strategy after years of car magazines:

Excellence - (subscribe) Great photos, interesting and unique car profiles, Porsche valuation (not spot on but fun to peruse each month).

Road and Track - (subscribe) If nothing but for Peter Egan. Hands down still the best automobile writer working. And it is the best of the mass-consumer car magazines.

Panorama - (comes with PCA membership) Not a great magazine, not even particularly good. However, Michael Cotton's motor racing column is always good and there is an occasional interesting history feature. Some of the tech stuff is very good.

Occasionally I'll buy C&D or Automobile at the grocery store. Not particularly good, but sometimes interesting. I used to subscribe to AutoWeek, back when it was weekly, and good.

Supplement all of this with the web. A few of my favorites:
Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1

I found Motor Trend has insulting and juvenile comments. Car and Driver articles just drone on -- they seem to enjoy themselves talking. Road and Track seems to get to the point and (for the most part) sports a reasonable point of view. I used to read Autoweek as a newspaper; haven't read it in a long time.

For me -- Excellence; Road and Track & Panorama. Panorama is the weakest -- but comes with membership....so, ok.

(So many of the reviews & comparisons are redundant across publications, you don't need a lot of subscriptions.)
Old 08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellence, Total 911, Road and Track...
Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I am not a huge fan of Excellence, they've hyped quite a bit of information, and have been inaccurate as well. Best thing you can do is not take anything you read as truth, regardless of the medium, in my opinion. 911&Porsche world is a good one, Panorama is not bad either. Different flavors...
This is one part of my life where I'll take enthusiasm over strict journalism any day. I read Excellence, and I frankly don't much care how objective they are. I left my objectivity on the showroom floor, being more interested in enjoying my car than in increasing my RDA of harsh truths. It's Porsche ****.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

+1
Old 08-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Excellence
Panorama (comes with being a PCA member)
356 Registry (comes with being a member)
Autoweek (now Auto(bi-)week(ly) (for all my other automotive interests)

There are three British magazines (all can be found in the car magazine section at Barnes & Noble), all very good, each good in its own unique way, all largely repetitive of each other, and often lacking in relevance to American readers and North American Porsche models. But if you like to read about cars with the steering wheel on the right side and you keep a spanner in your bonnet, then these are for you. I have read and enjoyed them all. Even subscribed. But in the end, they really don't add much to the articles and ads in Excellence. Their advertisers are mostly British companies.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Excellence, Total 911, 911 and Porsche World, GT Porsche. All are available at Borders. Total 911 is my personal favorite...the photography is fantastic and they have lots of 996 & 993 content.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:09 AM
georgiadis
Advanced

EVO Magazine - the best by far - perhaps the only
I started reading Excellence too recently - looks decent, in particular because it is the only US magazine I have found worth reading.
I have checked other Porsche mags and most are decent except from Total 911, which has a ricer vibe (e.g., chrome bodied 996 Turbo, cheap '73 RS replica, etc...).

Personally, I evaluating a magazine by considering how long it takes me to read it and whether I am skipping lines when I'm reading. That tells me how boring (or not) it is.

Btw Chris Harris who writes for Excellence is also a major guy at EVO with several nice videos at www.evo.co.uk
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Hey, if you're gonna throw rocks, please be specific and factual. Please define "hyped quite a bit of information" as well as "been inaccurate." I'm certainly not suggesting we're perfect, or that we can't get better, but unsubstantiated slander is, well, just that. I suspect it violates the terms of use here, as well.

Again, I'm fine with fair criticism —Strekbut this doesn't look like that.

As for the others, thanks for the support!

pete
Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised how bad Panorama is. The subject matter weighs heavily into news about the club and the people. I guess this is fair since it's the magazine of the club but I am only interested in the cars. The production value of the magazine is amazingly bad. I know the club is not-for-profit but I would expect a little more from an organization dedicated to Porsches.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver (October Issue)