Sponsored by:

Easycare warranty quote seems extremely high

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emdog
I got it through carmax but it Is a company that handles most of the warranties, google maxcare and call them..they will give you the name of the main company that holds the warranties
from the carmax site:

CarMax utilizes several administrators for MaxCare extended service plans ("MaxCare"), including Consumer Program Administrators, Inc., Automotive Warranty Services of Florida, Inc. (Florida License No. 60023), Motor Warranty Services of North America and CNA National Warranty Corporation, Inc. You should consult your contract documents for specific information about the MaxCare administrator and insurer of your ESP agreement. CarMax is not a party to any MaxCare agreements.

@emdog if you look at your contract does it say who the administrator is?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
For what it's worth, I've had my 996 3 years now, and have spent less than that on maintenance. And most of that has been on consumable parts (battery, brakes, oil changes, tires, etc.). The parts that might be covered by a warranty like that would have the deductible applied - $150 radiator fan, $85 wheel speed sensor, $50 oil pressure sensor, etc. (And it does help that I do my own labor.)

$4k in a CD account or something is probably money better spent.

It's also worth pointing out that an IMS bearing retrofit and RMS replacement, if done together, would cost less than half of that policy... if you're concerned about sleeping well at night, I'd spend the money on that.
That's what I'm considering when CPO expires - IMS and clutch for $2000 ish, then bank the other $2k for unexpected repairs that I can't do. Or maybe trade it for a 996 tt.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
That's what I'm considering when CPO expires - IMS and clutch for $2000 ish, then bank the other $2k for unexpected repairs that I can't do. Or maybe trade it for a 996 tt.
me too.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think putting the money toward a 996 TT...is a wise choice

I had a carmax warranty before for my VW and the company was like american automotive warranty services I think. once I talk to them and they told me they were pretty much the biggest warranty service behind a lot of other names. not sure of the exact name or contact though :

I have to say that I bought the car, before knowing the full extend of the IMS issue while the 996 TT seems to be the bullet proof one. If I had known I would have probably fork the extra 10k and go for the TT right away...may be
Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There is no bullet proof "used" car. Getting a TT is great but also consider the maintenance on the turbos. Replacing those suckers are not cheap if the PO did not warm up and cool down those turbos properly. Its a completely different ball game with those cars. There is no perfect car; it always appears that the grass is greener on the other side...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also be careful with the warranties! I got a quote for easy care and a few other companies. After having to talk to about 10 associates, I learned the IMS was not covered so I just did not get one. I will if I can find one that covers that as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
Also be careful with the warranties! I got a quote for easy care and a few other companies. After having to talk to about 10 associates, I learned the IMS was not covered so I just did not get one. I will if I can find one that covers that as well.
Why did it take 10 different associates to determine if the IMS bearing is covered?

If easycare doesn't cover I doubt fidelity does either.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

After reading fidelity policy,I assume that IMS is covered by Fidelity. But I did not call them to ask directly... the policy is so dense, hard to tell what is or not covered :S
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by philooo
After reading fidelity policy,I assume that IMS is covered by Fidelity. But I did not call them to ask directly... the policy is so dense, hard to tell what is or not covered :S
You know what happens when you assume....
Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Lol... indeed... may be I should give them a call just to make sure. let's see if i can get hold of anybody over there.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Easy Care and can confirm it DOES cover IMS, RMS and all the leaks. I had it done twice already.

One caution though: I am in Canada and have a Canadian contract. I am not sure if US is identical...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Since the Platinum policy is an exclusionary policy and the IMS is not listed as one of the exclusions (primarily wear items) then one would think that a failure of the IMS should be covered. I do know for certain that the RMS isn't listed as being covered but they have provided coverage to policy holder's in the past.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Janusz
I have an Easy Care and can confirm it DOES cover IMS, RMS and all the leaks. I had it done twice already.

One caution though: I am in Canada and have a Canadian contract. I am not sure if US is identical...
Do you know the difference between RMS & IMS? The RMS is a seal (i'm sure it's covered) the IMS we are referring to is a bearing.

I'm fairly certain that you have not had the IMS bearing replaced twice.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Do you know the difference between RMS & IMS? The RMS is a seal (i'm sure it's covered) the IMS we are referring to is a bearing.

I'm fairly certain that you have not had the IMS bearing replaced twice.
I've had an IMS seal replaced once. Does that count?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Ok so I called Fidelity and I am pretty confident it IS COVERED
Th guy told me he even made a couple claims about the IMS in the past and was aware that the engine cost $25k. I asked him if he made many of those claims and told me he did one in the past 6 months and may be one or two more made by colleagues.

one thing cleared

Quick Reply: Easycare warranty quote seems extremely high