996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire stripped off on Montreal Highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your incident.. but glad to hear of the help you got.

But lets look at the tire. . Completely worn down beyond the wear bar indicators on the "inside" or wear side. Sure, it could have been cut on something (and it wouldn't have taken much) or it just failed due to being worn through, plus the heat/pressure of highways speeds etc. I wouldn't worry about the man. date (only 4 years old).

I would confirm that alignment is within spec and I would take note of how many miles you got on the tire so you won't be caught out again.

As for your spare, I can't recall if these cars come with a air compressor or not.. If NOT, I would recommend checking the spare tire inflation level periodically.. No point in having a spare that's also flat!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racer
Sorry to hear of your incident.. but glad to hear of the help you got.

But lets look at the tire. . Completely worn down beyond the wear bar indicators on the "inside" or wear side. Sure, it could have been cut on something (and it wouldn't have taken much) or it just failed due to being worn through, plus the heat/pressure of highways speeds etc. I wouldn't worry about the man. date (only 4 years old).

I would confirm that alignment is within spec and I would take note of how many miles you got on the tire so you won't be caught out again.

As for your spare, I can't recall if these cars come with a air compressor or not.. If NOT, I would recommend checking the spare tire inflation level periodically.. No point in having a spare that's also flat!
Ya they come with a compressor which inflates it automatically.. a full inflated spare could never fit in this car.

I know if was worn, but that happening is still out there... Shouldn't have happened. I'm waiting on the news tires to come in and a full install and alignment will be done for sure. I knew very well how much life/condition they had.

Anyways, old news now...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
I know if was worn, but that happening is still out there... Shouldn't have happened. I'm waiting on the news tires to come in and a full install and alignment will be done for sure. I knew very well how much life/condition they had.

Anyways, old news now...
Not sure how you can say it "shouldn't have happened" .. I think what you should consider thinking is "thank god it didn't completely fail and send me into other traffic or a guardrail".

The tire was not safe to travel on to begin with. You risked it and it failed. Luckily no one was physically hurt and lessons can be learned.

its a challenge on these super wide steamroller tires to check the wear. you can hardly see the inside grooves and that is where it seems 80% of the tire wear occurs.. on the inner 2-3 inches. The outer 7-11inches are just for show!

A friend of mine had a similar failure on his 964Turbo. He was running 285s or 295s and just didn't realize how much abuse that part of the tire received.. not only from rolling in a straight line, but also from cornering forces pulling on that part of the tire/shoulder.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

When you go below the wear bars you have 2/32 of rubber left before air loss. If you are waiting until you see 'cords' you are an accident waiting to happen. 125kph?? Your very, very lucky - you could have totaled your car or involved other people.

Must of been a defect or I must of hit something very very sharp, but I didn't see anything on the road, nor was I speeding.
What do you call 125 in a 100 then? Just saying. I agree with racer - your alignment is off.

Montreal is the last place I would drive on tires in this condition. Hell, Kandahar other then IED's is about par with Montreal roads!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

ya you guys are right!! i'm not argueing the point here. I agree they should have been changed and I wasn't waiting to see cords either. But the fact that I didn't see any at all made me think it's still not that bad yet. Regardless, I would have changed them this week, which i'm doing now anyways.

Lesson learned, and I have to agree that MTL has the worst roads ever, Ottawa as well !!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

LOL...Ottawa is like paved gold compared to Fort McMurray!!

but yes...driving from Ottawa to Montreal...that highway...is BRUTAL!

Quick Reply: Tire stripped off on Montreal Highway