996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My new 996 - just one problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My 99 coupe with 78k on it has more rattles than either my prior 86 coupe with 195k on it or my 89 Targa with 78k did. The rattles all seem to be dash related on th 996. There's way more plastic than the older cars. Despite that relatively minor annoyance, I'm very pleased with the 996.

todd
99 coupe
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

all porsches rattle. inc 964 and 993. those who doesn't think so, either didn't drive it fast enough, long enough or deaf.

put the window down, remove your muffler, you wont hear rattles.

RHD, comlex chinese character, so not HK i presume, where?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 AM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its true about making the exhaust louder.... I just changed my mufflers... can only hear them now. :-)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

i have had 911 3.0, 911 3.2, 964 cab, targa, coupe, 993, 996, 997. they all rattle. just a matter of degree. you can try to fix it. you will go crazy chasing after it. just lower the window, big exhaust, and keep the right foot down. life is so much better this way.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Zmonsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like HK.. atleast from yellow plates and RHD...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

My 2000 Boxster S had a fair amount of squeaks and rattles that I had fixed under warranty. These include dash rattles/squeaks (most were resolved by putting felt between the plastic of the dash and the window) a temperature related airbag rattle (this was fixed but I don't know how they took care of it) door lock rattles (a metal on metal squeak that is resolved by adjusting the striker plate) and finally a dash rattle that was due to a fastener under the dash that was key to the dash installation (the dealer took care of it as they'd encountered it several times before). Also, check out the rattle related TSBs as there are lots of things that Porsche is aware of that can cause unwanted noises and the proposed solution.

My 2004 C4S has an annoying dash rattle that I traced down to the glove-box and it only occurs when it's in the closed position. I think it is the plastic bits on the straps but I need to do a bit more experimentation. I also had a sunroof rattle that was caused by the weatherstrip partially coming off the spring-loaded rain strip. Reinstalling the rubber part correctly took care of that one.

The point is that most, if not all, rattles can be gotten rid of if enough time is spent on it. The dealers have the experience of knowing where to look as they've seen the same ones over and over. The other problem is that sound within the cabin can seem like it's coming from a location totally unrelated to the actual source so it helps to have a friend along when chasing down unwanted noises.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Jamesh38
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
all porsches rattle. inc 964 and 993. those who doesn't think so, either didn't drive it fast enough, long enough or deaf.

put the window down, remove your muffler, you wont hear rattles.

RHD, comlex chinese character, so not HK i presume, where?
Thanks mooty (and all) - I feel better knowing it's not just mine. Was beginning to think it may have been in an accident previously or something similar that was causing it...

And yes, it's Hong Kong - we're RHD here (throw back from the british colonial past) and they should be traditional chinese characters...

Originally Posted by Tom M
My 2000 Boxster S had a fair amount of squeaks and rattles that I had fixed under warranty. These include dash rattles/squeaks (most were resolved by putting felt between the plastic of the dash and the window) a temperature related airbag rattle (this was fixed but I don't know how they took care of it) door lock rattles (a metal on metal squeak that is resolved by adjusting the striker plate) and finally a dash rattle that was due to a fastener under the dash that was key to the dash installation (the dealer took care of it as they'd encountered it several times before). Also, check out the rattle related TSBs as there are lots of things that Porsche is aware of that can cause unwanted noises and the proposed solution.

My 2004 C4S has an annoying dash rattle that I traced down to the glove-box and it only occurs when it's in the closed position. I think it is the plastic bits on the straps but I need to do a bit more experimentation. I also had a sunroof rattle that was caused by the weatherstrip partially coming off the spring-loaded rain strip. Reinstalling the rubber part correctly took care of that one.

The point is that most, if not all, rattles can be gotten rid of if enough time is spent on it. The dealers have the experience of knowing where to look as they've seen the same ones over and over. The other problem is that sound within the cabin can seem like it's coming from a location totally unrelated to the actual source so it helps to have a friend along when chasing down unwanted noises.
Thanks - some great advice here. Good to know they can be tracked down and fixed...

Quick Reply: My new 996 - just one problem