996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY - changing brakes (video tutorial)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I took Van's suggestion and got an impact screwdriver at harbor freight. It was a big help for a few stuck caliper screws. However, while whacking the stuck screws, it occurred to me that it might not be a great idea to impact the wheel bearings.
I worked with industrial bearings in a previous life, and hammers and bearings don't usually mix. Sharp impacts can dent bearing races and lead to premature bearing failure. Not sure if this applies here. What type of bearing is in these wheels?

Any opinions on impact screwdrivers and rotors?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up brake shim adhesive follow-up

Originally Posted by frisbee91
... There were shims installed (adhered) to the old pads. I have cleaned them and they are in good shape. What do I use to adhere them to my new pads?
Just to follow up on my post about adhesive for the brake pad shims...

I ended up getting some permatex black RTV silicone (hi-temp) at PepBoys. I applied a THIN coat to the shim using a putty knife. Then I installed the shims in the caliper. (I used some masking tape on the rotor to make sure I didn't get any silicone on the rotor.) Then, I removed the masking tape and installed the pads per Van's video.

I did this on all four wheels quickly, then pressed on the brake pedal to apply pressure to the pads and shims. Then, I went back to check that there was no excess squeeze-out of adhesive between the pad and shim. There was almost none, but I cleaned the tiny amount that came out in a spot or two.

I've only got about 50 miles on the new pads, but everything seems to be fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY video!
Excellent thread!
This one is definitely a keeper... Printed and Bookmarked...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread - and awesome videos. You have done a great public service for the Porsche 996 community! I'm just assembling all of my parts right now to do my brakes once the weather gets a little nicer.

Do you recommend getting the Front or Rear Caliper Spring Repair Kit (99635195911)? How often do people find these need to be changed?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I got the Spring Repair Kit when I did all four rotors and pads. Good thing too, as one of the springs was pretty much shot: the little retainer clip for the pad sensor wire snapped off, so it made me wonder if the rest of the metal was as "fatigued". I replaced everything that Porsche recommends when you do your pads and rotors. Relatively cheap for the peace of mind.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, really good real-life advice here....
I'll refer to this and direct customers to this. Good job!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I got the Spring Repair Kit when I did all four rotors and pads. Good thing too, as one of the springs was pretty much shot: the little retainer clip for the pad sensor wire snapped off, so it made me wonder if the rest of the metal was as "fatigued". I replaced everything that Porsche recommends when you do your pads and rotors. Relatively cheap for the peace of mind.
Other than the big things (rotos, pads) and little things (caliper bolts) that I know that Porsche recommends, what else does "Porsche recommend when you do your pads and rotors"?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Anti-vibration dampers, pad wear sensors if they were tripped (I had a pair just in case I needed them and sure enough, one disintegrated when I pulled it out of the pad).

Here's the link to my DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...are-is-on.html
Old 02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

dame thanks for the video, cant belive i missed this thread. Need to do my Front Brakes soon, my light came on about 500kms ago

will watch this on my lunch at work lols
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

van, have any brake squeal? is it common after changing pads & rotors for any period of time or does it represent a possible problem?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

I was just looking for something like this. Great timing.

Many thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lingpoen
van, have any brake squeal? is it common after changing pads & rotors for any period of time or does it represent a possible problem?
Only after a track event when they get nice and hot.

The Pagid RS29s (yellows) don't squeal nearly as bad as the blacks or oranges.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
spender
Pro

Thanks again, Van!

Hey, with respect to having supplies on hand for drilling out the rotor screws if necessary, what are the exact specs of the "tapping bit" and the other bit you used in your video?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
Thanks again, Van!

Hey, with respect to having supplies on hand for drilling out the rotor screws if necessary, what are the exact specs of the "tapping bit" and the other bit you used in your video?

Thanks.
I think I used the "#2" size here: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=990-1385

I don't remember the drill size... but I'll measure up a screw and let you know.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Chomper129
Track Day

Thanks for the tutorial videos. Im seriously considering doing my rears. I paid over $1k to have my front brakes done, and I'd love to save the cash on my rears. A couple of questions though.
1. My mechanic told me with Pcars, you should always change the rotors when replacing the pads. Is this true? I'm willing to do it if necessary, but wanted to get some other thoughts from you guys/girls out there.
2. I am a complete noob when it comes to car stuff, but I am very handy. Am I crazy to be attempting this myself? It seems really easy, but I'm nervous because they are the brakes after all.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: DIY - changing brakes (video tutorial)