Sponsored by:

Most recent excellence mag

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johonole
The only solution to your problem is good Scotch & a cigar. Have 1 or 2 doubles, call a cab and go out to the local meat market. Meet the best looker in the bar- but she must be several years your junior & take her home.

When you wake up in the morning, you will be worried about a whole new problem.
Roger that. I have a bottle of 18 yr single malt I need to crack open. Meat market may be a problem I don't know if she will appreciate riding home on my bicycle.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
johonole
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike thing made me laugh.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

edgy01
The chain tensioner issue on the 1964-1989 cars was way blown out of proportion. I drove a 77 over 100,000 without an issue, however I did install the mechanical stops to prevent a total collapse of the tensioner. My next car, a 1981, has the mechanical stop which I replaced with the 1984 chain tensioner oil feed design when it came out. This design once and for all solved the problem. If a car was properly maintained it rarely became an issue. (CIS air box explosions were a more common problem).
Edgy, good on your 77. I had a 70S and a 72T both went over 100K miles with very few problems.
One of my friends bought a 1979 SC new, after 7 years at ~30K one of the chain tensioners collapsed and at the time it cost $8k to rebuild the engine.
How many air-cooled cars suffered the same fate? Did Porsche ever admit culpability?
If there was no problem then why did they redesign the tensioners so many times until the 84 oil fed tensioner?

Any similarities between those years and the M96 engines?
Macster loves his 250K and counting Boxster. Why are all of the rest of us worried about IMS? Macster hasn't had an IMS failure.
Why did Porsche revise the IMS at least 3 times before eliminating it in 2009? Wonder what the new Achilles heel will be?
I like my 2003 cab enough that if the engine or trans goes I will figure a way to rebuild/replace it or buy another and keep driving. I buy a Porsche because I love the driving experience enough to put up with most problems, at least until someone comes up with a fix. BTW not porsche for the 77's chain tensioner stops.
IE: LNS-flat six enterprises for the IMS

As Saturday Night Live's- Rosanna Danna used to say: "It's always something" ...

Quick Reply: Most recent excellence mag