Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Front Bearing = Dents in the Fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:24 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy New Front Bearing = Dents in the Fenders?

Odd situation
I had an indie replace my rt front wheel bearing on Friday and the car came back with a dent on top of each fender directly over the wheels. The dent is a bit larger on the side where the bearing was replaced.

Is there a jig or something that the shop might have used for leverage on the axle nut or maybe the press out/in operation?

I know that that the dents were not there before

thx
todd
99 coupe
Old 06-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossT
Odd situation
I had an indie replace my rt front wheel bearing on Friday and the car came back with a dent on top of each fender directly over the wheels. The dent is a bit larger on the side where the bearing was replaced.

Is there a jig or something that the shop might have used for leverage on the axle nut or maybe the press out/in operation?

I know that that the dents were not there before

thx
todd
99 coupe
Tech might have leaned against car or pushed against it for leverage to undo a fastener.

Oh, wait another possibility, if the car's alignment was checked afterwards. I watched a Porsche dealer service department tech <sigh> set up my car for an alignment and as he was attempting to fit/mount the spider like contraptions that fit onto the wheels he hit the side of the car about where you described the dents as being located. Hit the car more than once, several times with one maybe more than one leg of the spider thingie.

No dents but I think it a minor miracle.

And after going through that the alignment was crap and rear tires lasted less than 8K miles. Had tires replaced at another Porsche dealer and alignment checked cause tire wear suggested alignment off and sure enough it was off.

You can be sure I do not use this dealer for anything now. No excuse for that kind of sloppy work. None whatsoever.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I cant offer any thing on this exact thing. but I have noticed the 996 is like tin foil.... I very carfully the other day laid the wifes van door against the door of my 996 and it left a dent... Looks like I will be making a trip to dent doctor.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Was the dent into the fender or a bump pushing the metal out. In taking off the wheel carrier they might have removed the strut and in putting it back it let the top of it push on the fender from the inside. In any case they should take responsibility for the the dents. Hopefully ones that can be fixed "paintlessly.)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have a picture?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys

The dents are 'innies'. Odd that the left has a smalll dent in the same basic place as the right since I was only having the shop replace the right wheel bearing. That's why I was wondering about a jig they might have attached.

Definitely a paintless repair, just curious about the cause.

Here's a pict [not so good] but you can see the dip in the fender in the window frame line reflection.

thx
todd
99 coupe
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New Front Bearing = Dents in the Fenders?