Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 C2 w/100K miles priced to sell or wait

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyPride
Kyle, are you saying way better in price or wait for a better one to come up. What price makes this one a reasonably good buy.
I think you can can find a car with that mileage on it for less money More like 18-20.

I noticed that the price drops a lot as soon as they hit 100K. I presume becasue no one will then put a warranty on the car and with the catostrophic failure scares, this is a selling point that one can still put a warranty on a 99,000 miles car but not a 100,000 mile car.

So I think the car is a tad over priced. I think you can find more car for that money.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
You can probably pick up a nicer car for $24K. Suspension, tires and brakes can cost you up to $4-5K fast.
I can contest to this,

Tires were 1010.00
Breaks with rotors DIY was 800.00
Shocks are what? 250-350.00 EACH? IIRC

Not to mention the Horns are going to be shot, the horn button is toast i bet... Cheap DIY less than $100....
Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

This is a nice car. Asking $22.5K. Offer $20K or less and budget $1.5K for the IMS retrofit by an indy or $600 DIY then off you go for a long while...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...e-c2-aero.html

This guy is smoking something about $10K too high

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...hite-mods.html
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Overheating a car with aluminum heads is always to be avoided. Heads can easily warp and far worse is the posibility of having the valve seats loose the interference fit. Once the seats no longer fit as tight in the head as they originally did, another overheating cycle or just a matter of time and running on a hot day under load can cause the seats to become loose to the point of dropping. When this happens, valves bend and punch holes in the pistons, metal chunks get ingested in the oil pump. Ugly and expensive.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:26 PM
kennyPride
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster, thanks for the sound advise. Buying a Porsche is a unique experience with heighten purchase screening skill sets. Its apparent these cars are built for performance and will provide many years of enjoyment if maintained (upgraded IMS), conversely these cars are abused also, resulting in the same MY, model and mileage, one being a gem and the other a dirt rock. I need to tread carefully and with the help of our forum I feel I'm not going in along. Thank you. Now lets find a clean 911 for 25K or less. Kenny
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
HansFredrik
Intermediate

I am the seller of this car. It sounded like Ken had gotten some advice from this forum, so I decided to go look for the thread myself. I have a few comments I would like to add.

The car never really overheated, I shut it off as soon as it started getting hot, and there was never any smoke or anything like that. And I only drove about 4-5 miles. Me and Ken went and spoke with the dealer who agreed that it was nothing to worry about. And also it happened 10k miles ago. Ken wanted to see the car idling in the hot weather, so we let it idle for 15min or so, no problems. For me, this happening should be a plus for the next owner, he/she gets an almost new water pump.

@chsu74 Linking to a 996 Gen 1 makes no sense, I might as well start comparing the price of my car to 997s, the difference is about the same...

Brakes (pads+rotors) where changed at 85k, the car now has 99k, so they should still last a while longer. Tires needs to be changed though. I had the suspension inspected recently and they claimed it looked great, and it definitely feels great, but I don't know for sure when it was last changed.

@Macster "Or some non-N-rated tires?" N-rated tires are the biggest scam ever, I would never pay extra to get n-rated tires. TBH I don't even know if the tires on the car now are n-rated or not, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R I think they are called.

And I can't believe this forum is still doing all the scare mongering about IMS (RMS has never been an issue on this particular car). According to two dealers I have talked to neither had seen a 996 with broken engine in almost two years.

When me and Ken went and spoke with Porsche SB the service adviser we talked to even said that in his experience high mileage cars where a lot more reliable than low mileage garage queens. He even said he though IMS was less likely on high mileage cars since it should have broken already if it was going to break.

I see some of you comment on the price, if anyone can show me a 2003 911 for less than I would genuinely like to see it. Or even a 2002 for less. My car is in CA, is well optioned and in exceptionally good condition, and I still can't find any 2002+ 911s for less money...

I don't want to be unreasonable about the price, if the market price is lower then I will gladly lower the price, but the market price just isn't lower.

New Craigslist ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...768296597.html
Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm also quite surprised by the number of people that think the IMS is something that has to be "upgraded". I think we will see more and more people pulling out perfect bearings at high and low miles alike. Problem with message boards is once something is repeated enough times, it's taken as truth, and often drowns out any opposing data.

I won't get into the particulars of this car, but under $25k is an outstanding price for an MKII 996. There's definitely a price delta between MKI and MKII cars. Last I looked, Autotrader showed 2 MKII 996s under 25k across the nation (I only look at manual coupes however), in comparison literally dozens of MKIs.

And finally, RE01s are the best street tire I've ever driven on track.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
HansFredrik
Intermediate

Thanks for the support Ahmet.
My last post was deleted by one of the mods for some reason, don't know why, hopefully I can get it restored...
Have also posted FS thread, but it turns out you have to be a member to do that, I am now a member, so hopefully that gets restored as well, will post link when it does.

Edit: Here is the FS thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-22-995-a.html

Last edited by HansFredrik; 06-02-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 C2 w/100K miles priced to sell or wait