Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Reliability Survey - Admin Approved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

144 owners out of 1471 views. Granted I am one of the few who have looked at this thread a few times because I am bored. Majority?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the one who reads carelessly?

"Important constituency" and "community duty" are your phrases, not mine. I did not say, or even intend to imply, either one.

When you use words substantially different than those I actually used, and that change the meaning of what I actually said, it strongly implies that what I actually said does not support the claims you want to make.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:46 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh, my God, you are pathological.

It's called a paraphrase. It's a legitimate device used by educated people in debate to expose inferences in rhetorical language. The words I used are not "substantially different," unless to someone for whom English is not a native language. "Important constituency" = "majority", which you later retracted anyway. "Community duty" was the inference of your verb choice, "participate", which you used rather than "help" or "contribute" in order to exploit the community's internal loyalty. It's grade school manipulation.

I seriously think you should consider anger management help of some kind. In the meantime, your immature conduct has done more to discredit this ridiculous 'research' than all the statisticians in Pennsylvania could ever hope to do. J. D. Power can sleep soundly tonight.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:46 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I know you find this so very hard to believe, but this is not about dictating anything. People are free to do whatever dumb thing they like, and as you're proving they frequently do. I'm fine with that. Live and let live.

This is about scientifically accurate methodology. Several of us have pointed out the statistical flaws in your endeavor and you refuse to listen. You may as well pull numbers out of your butt because that's about as valuable as your "results" will be. The sad thing is that your "data" will be misinterpreted by those that don't know any better as being more meaningful than they are.
Sorry, but when one alternative is portrayed as "dumb" and taken by "those that don't know any better," I see that as dictating what is correct for everyone. As well as insulting tens of thousands of people.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Sorry, but when one alternative is portrayed as "dumb" and taken by "those that don't know any better," I see that as dictating what is correct for everyone.
We judge you by your words. They speak for themselves, we really don't need to add anything else. If you don't like the label, then change the behavior.

Not everyone is savvy with statistics, it's for those people that we're speaking out.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^^
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by BruceP
Oh, my God, you are pathological.

It's called a paraphrase. It's a legitimate device used by educated people in debate to expose inferences in rhetorical language. The words I used are not "substantially different," unless to someone for whom English is not a native language. "Important constituency" = "majority", which you later retracted anyway. "Community duty" was the inference of your verb choice, "participate", which you used rather than "help" or "contribute" in order to exploit the community's internal loyalty. It's grade school manipulation.

I seriously think you should consider anger management help of some kind. In the meantime, your immature conduct has done more to discredit this ridiculous 'research' than all the statisticians in Pennsylvania could ever hope to do. J. D. Power can sleep soundly tonight.
I fail to see how I've been immature. I have responded logically, rationally, and based on facts not emotions.

You did not paraphrase. A paraphrase does not change the meaning of what was said.

A minority can still be a very important constituency. I do not personally believe, nor did I as much as imply, that a minority should not be listened to. Saying someone might not be in the majority, which was not a good word to use regardless, is not at all the same as saying that they are not an important constituency.

Going from "participate" to "community duty" is similarly quite a stretch. Using the word "participate" amounts to "grade school manipulation?" Seriously? I was never aware it was such a loaded term. In my experience it's a verb very commonly used with "survey." Search google with "participate survey" you'll find millions of cases. Are they all engaging in "grade school manipulation?"

Last edited by mkaresh; 05-21-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
We judge you by your words. They speak for themselves, we really don't need to add anything else. If you don't like the label, then change the behavior.

Not everyone is savvy with statistics, it's for those people that we're speaking out.
You clearly feel the need to add quite a bit, and not let my words speak for themselves. Why the contradiction?

I wouldn't expect anyone to change their behavior in response to petty namecalling. Your posts have strayed well beyond a methodological discussion.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

“Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error”
Marcus Tullius Cicero

That quote applies to both of us. You for your blind insistence on flawed methodology and me for attempting to convince you otherwise.

At least I'm intelligent enough to know when I'm talking to a wall and to have good sense to walk away.

'nuff said.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 AM
mkaresh
Racer

If you really want to influence someone's behavior, I'd suggest not insulting them and not telling them to simply abandon whatever they're doing.

My methodology isn't perfect, but it's also not fatally flawed. The advantage it has over the course you'd suggest is that it's doable.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 AM
BruceP
Drifting

I fail to see how I've been immature. I have responded logically, rationally, and based on facts not emotions.

You did not paraphrase. A paraphrase does not change the meaning of what was said.

A minority can still be a very important constituency. I do not personally believe, nor did I as much as imply, that a minority should not be listened to. Saying someone might not be in the majority, which was not a good word to use regardless, is not at all the same as saying that they are not an important constituency.

Going from "participate" to "community duty" is similarly quite a stretch. Using the word "participate" amounts to "grade school manipulation?" Seriously? I was never aware it was such a loaded term. In my experience it's a verb very commonly used with "survey." Search google with "participate survey" you'll find millions of cases. Are they all engaging in "grade school manipulation?"
When you're ready, I'm going to teach you all about 'context'. It's a very important concept, ignored only by those running for office or by those arguing indefensible positions.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 AM
mkaresh
Racer

The way you'd like to use "context" it could twist anything into anything. This use, not my alleged disregard for it, is the sign of a weak position.

You're trying to avoid admitting that you misrepresented what I wrote, because this would imply that you had to misrepresent what I wrote to make your case.

I'm not even trying to engage in a debate here. I simply want to provide some reliability stats.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mines reliable. No engine swap, 112,000+ miles. I floor it it takes off. It takes corners pretty fast too Of course I have a habit of driving it instead of other vehicles.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
BruceP
Drifting

I simply want to provide some reliability stats.
This compounds your childish behavior with a straight up lie. You're trying to start a business, not "simply... provide some reliability stats." Which brings us back to our original debate, the one in which I simply suggested you be transparent and a gracious guest in the forums you raid.

I cannot believe how stupid you appear to think we are.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM
mkaresh
Racer

What have I said that's childish?

I have a son who is too quick to employ the word "lie." But he's nine, and I'm hoping he'll soon learn that it's not a word to be used lightly, and never without a good basis. There is no basis for it here.

I'll give you some context, Bruce.

This is the United States. If someone is working full time on something, and they're not living off their ancestors or past investments, they're deriving income from it.

This applies to the people who operate pretty much every single site on the Internet.

People are generally smart enough to know this. Especially if there are plainly visible ads on the site.

It's why no one, myself included, has to go around saying, "Yes, I earn income from my site." No site owner does this, because they realize people are generally intelligent enough to know it already, not because they think anyone is stupid.

Step two:

So we have people generally getting paid for whatever it is they spend 40+ hours a week on. You would have us believe that all of these people do whatever they do primarily for the income they derive from it--for you it's all about the money.

Sorry, but many people choose to do what they do because it's something they believe in doing or enjoy doing, with income a secondary consideration. The ideal for most people I know is to do what you like to do, and somehow get paid for doing it. This does often involve making some sacrifices, and I have certainly made quite a few.

Your crass reduction of everything to money is neither valid nor the world I'd care to live in.

As for "raiding" the forum, I posted here only after receiving permission from the forum owner. And this particular thread was started by the admin. But you know this already. So why the dramatic misrepresentation?

I'm gracious towards the forum owner, the admin, anyone who is helping with this project, and the community here in general. I do apologize that I have trouble feeling gracious towards you in particular.

Are you used to repeatedly insulting people, and having them be gracious towards you anyway?

Quick Reply: 996 Reliability Survey - Admin Approved!