996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche vs miata

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
brnrkm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing a Miata makes me smile. Seeing a Porsche makes me smile.

Hmm, they have something in common after all.

Brian
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miatas are great cars. In fact, I have yet to see a Porsche beat one in an autocross.

In fact, I am considering buying a Miata or 1995 M3 as my track car.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen plenty of really great handling Miatas out there on canyon roads, including one driven by this young guy who tagged along with about 100 of us in our Porsches. He wiped just about all of us off the map with the amazing speed he carried through the corners. It looked like awesome fun. Granted, he had some suspension mods and R-compound tires on it, but I was blown away by how tossable his car was.

I am impressed by these little cars.

And Bob, I have seen plenty of well sorted old and new Porsches easily beat Miatas at the autocrosses we have here every month. I'm guessing it's because we have a fairly fast course and the Miatas, while great in the corners, lose out in the fairly long straights we have between those corners.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
emdog
Instructor

Oops. Sorry for the way I worded my post. I don't like miatas but that wasn't the point of my post. I was just wondering how the two are even compared, because I hear it from people all the time. I was curious if they think the miata looks like a porsche, has similar capabilities, or??? Because I don't ever see anyone thinking about getting a Porsche and saying hmmm I think I'll get a miata instead, unless maybe they r choosing between a new miata and a old Porsche. I like my 6 series BMW, my rover, my 63 nova but I don't think these are comparable to a Porsche either...and I'm sure no one here would compare these to a Porsche either so it just makes me curious as to why a miata is comparable.

And I don't think my dislike for a car makes me poor or new money or in any way correlates to me being an ignorant cocky new Porsche owner, although I see how the words I chose to use may make me seem that way, but that's how I talk with my friends when we are talking about cars and crap....so sorry for thinking of you guys as my friends.

Ps sorry for the horrible grammar and spelling but I am drunk and typing this on my apple iPad because I am better than all you Microsoft pc owners...why do people compare apple and Microsoft anyways?? JK!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 AM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that you actually own an iPad speaks volumes.
As an American I don't care for Japanese automobiles for many reasons, but I still drive one for day to day reliability because I think American car's are garbage.
Miata's are gay.
Thank You
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 AM
emdog
Instructor

Yea iPad has pretty good volume. You should get one.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:05 AM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Originally Posted by emdog
Yea iPad has pretty good volume. You should get one.
I'm actually an Apple computer junkie, but considering the information I have on where I iPad is headed, I choose to wait.
On a side note, every dime I make is with an Apple computer. (<- not entirely true) I use Microsoft PC's for accounting and billing.
Incidentallly, I'm drinking Stella right now and loving the bubbly gas effect. *hiccup*
Does having a baby mean I have to sell my Porsche? *hopes not*, if so I'm ready to check out. I disclosed this bit of information to my baby's future mother and she actually "get's it". I'm a lucky man, but it ain't all luck! hehe..
I dream of building the perfect car... No idea why, but it's a Porsche. I think the movies "Weird Science", and "Risky Business" play a major factor in this fantasy. One of my favorite memories as a teen was when a friend "borrowed" (aka stole) his girlfriend's fathers late 80's brand new model 944 Turbo and took us on the wildest ride of our lives.
I knew right then that I had to have a Porsche. (25 years ago) I plan on leaving my unborn son a badass collection of street machines, just because.

P.S. - The Lamborgini Gallardo is my dream car. (If you haven't gone to a Lambo dealership and BS'ed your way into a test drive of this car you owe it to yourself to do so. Drive your 911 to the dealership and they will practically throw the keys at you). Sorry Stuggart but that car is incredible. I WILL own one before I depart this earth. Dare to dream.

Last edited by eggodynamics; 04-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 AM
emdog
Instructor

That's cool. I like it and battery lasts looong.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just wondering how the two are even compared, because I hear it from people all the time. I was curious if they think the miata looks like a porsche, has similar capabilities, or???
Granted,I think it would be fairer to compare a Boxster and Miata, since they are both girl cars.

But seriously, I've seen the damage a well driven Miata can do. They are very fast and nimble cars. I get my *** handed to me at our local autocross events by those little bastards. Granted, our lot is smallish and I don't get a chance to get my C4 up to it's purported top speed of 177 which surely would leave the Miata far, far behind.

Moreover, driving a Miata is a lot of fun. But, so is riding a moped and having sex with a fat girl. You just don't want your friends to see you doing it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Sex with a fat girl??????? I know you guys in Louisville have a great time on a Saturday night but that is just crazy talk. Moped, fast mower, miata, 356, 914, 928, 944, any 911, boxster, cayman, anything with wheels and I am there. My first choice is still a Porsche though.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Oops. Sorry for the way I worded my post. I don't like miatas but that wasn't the point of my post. I was just wondering how the two are even compared, because I hear it from people all the time. I was curious if they think the miata looks like a porsche, has similar capabilities, or??? Because I don't ever see anyone thinking about getting a Porsche and saying hmmm I think I'll get a miata instead, unless maybe they r choosing between a new miata and a old Porsche. I like my 6 series BMW, my rover, my 63 nova but I don't think these are comparable to a Porsche either...and I'm sure no one here would compare these to a Porsche either so it just makes me curious as to why a miata is comparable.

And I don't think my dislike for a car makes me poor or new money or in any way correlates to me being an ignorant cocky new Porsche owner, although I see how the words I chose to use may make me seem that way, but that's how I talk with my friends when we are talking about cars and crap....so sorry for thinking of you guys as my friends.
You seem hung up on thinking that the badge on the front of the car determines how good it is. The cars are apples and oranges, but some of us are just as likely to consider a Miata purchase as a Porsche or anything else. In fact, I'm shopping for a new car right now and I can't decide if I want to trade in my Miata on another one, my 996 C4 for a 996TT or 997S, or keep both of them and get a Lotus. I'm leaning towards the Lotus but haven't dismissed the Miata because of any juvenile attitude that others might have about the car.

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Granted,I think it would be fairer to compare a Boxster and Miata, since they are both girl cars.

But seriously, I've seen the damage a well driven Miata can do. They are very fast and nimble cars. I get my *** handed to me at our local autocross events by those little bastards. Granted, our lot is smallish and I don't get a chance to get my C4 up to it's purported top speed of 177 which surely would leave the Miata far, far behind.

Moreover, driving a Miata is a lot of fun. But, so is riding a moped and having sex with a fat girl. You just don't want your friends to see you doing it.
I've found that the people that make jokes about my driving a Miata aren't my friends at all.

That said, it is rich to hear Miata jokes coming from a 996 Cab driver--look around, those cars have reputations as being girls cars, too.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Well, as much as I like to ruffle feathers, I think we all can agree that agree that just about any car can be a blast to drive at its limit. Hell, even a smart car can beat a ferrari with a few parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1N...eature=related
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
Wow, a comparison I can finally contribute to, having owned both... but you're right - I bought the Miata for my wife as her first convertible ever... it was a choice between that and the brand new (at the time) Honda S2000. While gathering the resources to buy my first Pcar I had the Mazda Tribute (I think they make the best value cars of all the Japanese marques...) She loved the thing and I don't think she ever put the top up; beautiful looking car too in Forest Green and what Porsche would call Savannah interior. Well she did manage to drive it in a SoCal rain and the traffic scared the crap out of her - never drove it again and we ended up switching cars... So I had the Miata for about a year... It did feel like girl's car, didn't quite fit my frame and with the top up I practically had to fold myself in (not unlike my first experience riding in a Lotus Elise...) And, if you read the owner's manual, payload shouldn't exceed 450 lbs... which is probably why it sucked so much when my brother and I would joyride in it (both of us push 240...)

Not to knock the Miata, because it was fun (when you're alone)... but I bought my Cab for specific reasons - I've always dreamed of having a Porsche and a Miata, no matter how tightly you close you eyes, will be a Miata whether you open your eyes or not... (just like in the 80s when I had my red Fiat Spyder - when I opened my eyes, it wasn't the Ferrari that Tubbs and Crockett ran around in...)

Would I drive a Miata again? Sure, but my wife would be the one owning it...

My $0.015

Rudy
Old 04-25-2010, 02:36 PM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Originally Posted by wetoddid
Well, as much as I like to ruffle feathers, I think we all can agree that agree that just about any car can be a blast to drive at its limit. Hell, even a smart car can beat a ferrari with a few parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1N...eature=related
LoL.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure miata would be fun, similar to my MG miget years ago. I did note that miata was very good when I started auto-X. Better gearing. On the track p-car much more fun and faster. I saw a quote recently ( roughly) "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". Pick your poison.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs miata