996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche vs miata

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't get fun putting any model miata through it's paces then you aren't a very capable driver and should turn in your Porsche, especially if the only reason you bought it is "style."
Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wetoddid
Because if you track your car, you then have the right to dislike a Miata? Sounds like you're bragging about having track experience.
What does Porsche prices decreasing have to do with anything? Did that open the door so ignorant poor people could drive Porsches?

Ignorant First Time Owner

Edit: Nothing like a good heathy discussion
Because if you track your car, then you'll truly appreciate it's pros/cons. You can't put down another sports car when you don't even know what your OWN car is capable of & are judging solely by the badge & magical ***** extension powers you think it gives you.

As for your second question, well quite frankly, yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being poor, but someone who was never before able to afford something such as a Porsche, & all of a sudden can is normally going to be more arrogant than someone who has always had real money, because it's normal to them. It's like give a poor person 100 million dollars & they're probably going to show off & make very stupid decisions with that money, where as someone who already has money is most likely going to know what to do with it & act normal about it. But don't take my comment the wrong way, I am not putting down "ignorant poor people" as you called them, especially since I in no way consider myself wealthy. I am another owner of a 996 which I bought used like most of you. I just know how to see things the way they are regardless of my circumstances. I am also not saying that all new owners are like this, but the main poster of this thread & a few of the ones that agreed with him & made stupid comments are clear examples of this, such as this stupid post:
Originally Posted by emdog
Because a red miata doesn't look anything like your slick *** looking cab!

However a clear example of the contrary is the poster of another new thread in the 996 section who is introducing himself & his new to him C4S. Look at the way he talks about himself & his car in a humble, educated manner & then compare it to some of the opinions posted on this thread. These are all new owners, but obviously do not carry themselves in the same manner.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Time for a Scotch.... sigh...
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

It's interesting how almost everyone that's encountered a Miata at the track, or has driven one extensively or otherwise actually experienced the car, is perfectly willing to credit the Miata as a capable, genuine sports car...the ones that don't have any experience with them dismiss them as a secretary's car.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
It's interesting how almost everyone that's encountered a Miata at the track, or has driven one extensively or otherwise actually experienced the car, is perfectly willing to credit the Miata as a capable, genuine sports car...the ones that don't have any experience with them dismiss them as a secretary's car.

Kinda like a Boxster

and I agree, the Miata is a capable, genuine sports car.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
erenyes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eggodynamics
Sure you could make a Miata faster than a 911, but in the end, I'd rather drive the 911 any day. It's more about style to me.
How many S's in style?????
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Janusz
Instructor

I am a long time lurker (well over a year) but now I cannot resist this topic and here is my first post.

I owned over 20 cars so far, all European except four and got my first P car in Jan '09; it is 2002 C2 and I really like it a lot but I would not be able to decide if this is the most fun car to drive I ever owned or my 1991 Miata would be the winner.

To get rid of floating front at speed I installed PSS-9 on 996 and added wheel spacers for vanity (18 inch wheels). Otherwise it is totally stock. Great car.

Miata suspension needed modifications too; GAB adjustable shocks and better springs, Centerforce clutch, smaller Momo steering wheel (no airbags there yet and no power steering of course), proper wheels and tires, even the best shifter on the planet was still improved with Japanese short shift kit, no CAT, ignition timing and air intake slightly modified, shocks brace, spare tire removed and together with some cosmetic improvements it was a really fantastic car to drive.

In many aspects it was better then 996, in others not. It handled and shifted better for sure, straight road speed and awe factor not so good obviously.

But the value for money impossible to beat and it is surely the most missed car I ever had.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by Janusz
I am a long time lurker (well over a year) but now I cannot resist this topic and here is my first post.

I owned over 20 cars so far, all European except four and got my first P car in Jan '09; it is 2002 C2 and I really like it a lot but I would not be able to decide if this is the most fun car to drive I ever owned or my 1991 Miata would be the winner.

To get rid of floating front at speed I installed PSS-9 on 996 and added wheel spacers for vanity (18 inch wheels). Otherwise it is totally stock. Great car.

Miata suspension needed modifications too; GAB adjustable shocks and better springs, Centerforce clutch, smaller Momo steering wheel (no airbags there yet and no power steering of course), proper wheels and tires, even the best shifter on the planet was still improved with Japanese short shift kit, no CAT, ignition timing and air intake slightly modified, shocks brace, spare tire removed and together with some cosmetic improvements it was a really fantastic car to drive.

In many aspects it was better then 996, in others not. It handled and shifted better for sure, straight road speed and awe factor not so good obviously.

But the value for money impossible to beat and it is surely the most missed car I ever had.
Welcome to the board. can't believe that it took this subject to get you to post however glad you did.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Time for a Scotch.... sigh...
Or a visit from...Dr, Bicardi
Old 04-24-2010, 08:10 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ivangene
some poeple just like to talk and have no clue, whatever...
Words for all of time.
Brilliant!!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:31 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

In the context of the track: Miatas are cheap and fun to drive. It takes a different skill set to really wring out a Miata (as compared to a rear engine Porsche).

But, regardless of what platform you chose, getting 100% out of the car (or close to it) is equally rewarding. Although ultimate lap times may be slower in a Miata, it is just as exciting getting there.

-td
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

I put an engine in my neighbors 1994 Miata. I'd heard how fun to drive they are for years so was anxious to drive it a bit after the swap. It is an auto so I can't speak to the shifting. It is a fun little car that reminds me alot of my old 914 in the go kart handling, ride, power mix. My major issue with it was that at 6'2" I can't sit straight up in the thing with the top up. I can imagine in capable hands at an autocross that it would be spectacular.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Because if you track your car, then you'll truly appreciate it's pros/cons. You can't put down another sports car when you don't even know what your OWN car is capable of & are judging solely by the badge & magical ***** extension powers you think it gives you.

As for your second question, well quite frankly, yes. Not that there's anything wrong with being poor, but someone who was never before able to afford something such as a Porsche, & all of a sudden can is normally going to be more arrogant than someone who has always had real money, because it's normal to them. It's like give a poor person 100 million dollars & they're probably going to show off & make very stupid decisions with that money, where as someone who already has money is most likely going to know what to do with it & act normal about it. But don't take my comment the wrong way, I am not putting down "ignorant poor people" as you called them, especially since I in no way consider myself wealthy. I am another owner of a 996 which I bought used like most of you. I just know how to see things the way they are regardless of my circumstances. I am also not saying that all new owners are like this, but the main poster of this thread & a few of the ones that agreed with him & made stupid comments are clear examples of this, such as this stupid post:

However a clear example of the contrary is the poster of another new thread in the 996 section who is introducing himself & his new to him C4S. Look at the way he talks about himself & his car in a humble, educated manner & then compare it to some of the opinions posted on this thread. These are all new owners, but obviously do not carry themselves in the same manner.
Well, since you put it that way....I will now succumb to the knowledge of the wealthier, "real money", new car buyers who track their car on a regular basis.
They know their cars so well that they can like and dislike what they want. I have seen the light. Dont fret, Im going to my room. Hell, I dont even own a 996, what am I doin in here anyway? Arent them thangs expensive? Emdog, good luck with your car, I hope you can hang on to it, with your poor money managemnt skills and all.
MIATAS SUCK!!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just noticed your Avatar name..."sofa king we todid"...
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barn996
Just noticed your Avatar name..."sofa king we todid"...
Must be the general consensus. My dixie wrecked.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Porsche vs miata