996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 3.4 Cats on a 3.6 Engine any issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually taking it easy as I was testing out the cheap (compared to the rest) SUMITOMO tires. I'd been playing with the pressures to see if i could get them to act as good as the goodyear F1s I had on previously and if they actually made a decent track tire.

On the street they are actually damn good, dry or wet and very low road noise, but the track you just don't feel safe going into some of the high speed corners such as 7 and 12. Actually coming out of 7 on entry around 95-100 just doesn't feel good on them. And around 135 on the straight back end was bouncing a bit.

None of that matters now, the SUMITOMOs are strictly road tires now, The Nitto's are mounted and ready for the next track session in 2 weeks. New engine, 2 year unlimited mile warranty, I'm going to drive it like I stole it...... safe though,
Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

wow... glad you are ok. Sorry about the failure... as for the cats, I dont trust the OEM's, they seem to die fairly quick. Maybe aftermarket is the way to go.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked the young lady up this morning from North Houston Porsche. A big shout to David Moore and Rodger Gay for all their help. Below are some picks the close up was taken on the iphone so it's not the clearest but it's where the crack starts and then goes all the way back of the engine.

You'll also see a bunch of metal bits which they think is one of the valves or whats left of it maybe i was reving too much, I remember sitting around 6K rpm a couple of corners before, it redlines over 7 though, but hey all water under the bridge just now.

I got under the car to take a look, boy it all looks nice and new.

Quick Reply: 996 3.4 Cats on a 3.6 Engine any issues