996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pinched.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best to travel in packs - bear can usually only get one of you.

Unless you drive 'pick me' red.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A policeman can direct more than one car to pull over. Wouldn't be the first time for sure.
The solobiker police here use a PA system to direct people to pull over. Well at least they did when I got my $500 ticket.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I figure my air-cooled neighbor and I are going to set this guy up.......We will find where he is sitting and approach him from 2 different directions.......by the time Officer Fife figures what just happened we will both be long gone and he'll be wishing he had a second set of depends.

Of course this is just a thought and this in NO way advocates or insinuates breaking of the law.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
eggodynamics
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's basically become a police state on metro Atlanta highways since early last year.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Pac996
Drifting

NY charged and convicted a guy riding a bike with murder for speeding when he never saw to policeman that died chasing him. Policeman was off duty in an SUV going to opposite direction on a hwy. He crossed the median to chase after the guy. While going over 100mph in an SUV he lost it and died. I imagine the cause of the accident was motorist not getting out of the way and the officer using the emergency apron if the SUV going 100mph wasn't good enough to cause it to go out of control and crash. But needless to say the speeder takes the rap even if the chaser isn't visible or looking like police. Strange world and even stranger in NY.

I'd venture the police like to always be right even if stretching way beyond reality.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought all those older, less powerful P-cars were oil-cooled, not air cooled.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
NY charged and convicted a guy riding a bike with murder for speeding when he never saw to policeman that died chasing him. Policeman was off duty in an SUV going to opposite direction on a hwy. He crossed the median to chase after the guy. While going over 100mph in an SUV he lost it and died. I imagine the cause of the accident was motorist not getting out of the way and the officer using the emergency apron if the SUV going 100mph wasn't good enough to cause it to go out of control and crash. But needless to say the speeder takes the rap even if the chaser isn't visible or looking like police. Strange world and even stranger in NY.

I'd venture the police like to always be right even if stretching way beyond reality.
Good god, got a link for that story, sounds absolutely crazy. All I can hope is that the guy had the worst lawyer in the history of forever.

Edit: Well, I'm real leary of the justice system as a whole, it's completely retributive at this point when it should be about protecting your average person from people who would hurt them. And when it comes to a serious traffic offense like that I just can't see the point in sentencing the person to prison--they're only dangerous on a vehicle, take away their license forever or something, prison doesn't make sense.

Edit Two:
Originally Posted by eggodynamics
It's basically become a police state on metro Atlanta highways since early last year.
The Super-Speeder law, right? When does that kick in again? Something like 15 over, just like everyone does on I-75/85 through downtown? At least it's not I-20 in east Alabama, a truck kicked up a stray rock through a woman's windshield and killed her. What did they do to fix the problem? Drop the speed limit from 70mph to 55mph for a 40 mile stretch of interstate. Now that's what I call problem solving.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s_kelly
I thought all those older, less powerful P-cars were oil-cooled, not air cooled.

I'd say you have your facts straight...no radiators=air-cooled.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

"Pull over? No, it's a cardigan, but thanks for noticing..." I supposed that doesn't work.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Update....my wife just got me off....I mean from the ticket!
Flowers are cheap... hint.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave!
Good god, got a link for that story, sounds absolutely crazy. All I can hope is that the guy had the worst lawyer in the history of forever.
Original charges sought were murder not manslaughter or any thing closer to a lesser charge.
http://www.odmp.org/officer/18292-tr...-j.-todeschini
Its sad the way things end up on the hwys some times but the guy on the bike if you could even stretch the idea that he was being chased by an suv that unmarked and a personal car along with the fact he was going the opposite direction turning around after a bike zips past going 100..... unreal. I would of looked into finding out who was around his car when he crashed that might of drove like a fool like many others out there. Some one elsewhere mentioned he lost it going 60 around a 90 degree turn and hit a tree....
SUV's kill not the driver just like guns
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Flowers are cheap... hint.
Trust me.....this is gonna take more than flowers...I made a deal with the devil...I will be reminded of this for years to come!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996

Sorry Pac...no hard feelings but your facts are wrong.

Chevy "PATROL" vehicle....it was marked...with lights and sirens going and you mean to tell me the guy on the motorcycle had no Idea he was being pursued......I DOUBT IT. State police dont use unmarked Tahoes for patrol. The charges were pressed due to the proximity of the patrol car to the violator, it would have to be proven in court that the violator was aware and disregarded the lights and sirens which in NEW YORK constitutes a forceable stop.

1.http://www.odmp.org/officer/18292-tr...-j.-todeschini

2.http://www.firerescue1.com/vehicle-s...-in-collision/

3.http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top...ooper-s-death/ Motorcyclist had multiple previous arrests

4. http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...ction/?ap=1&MP

"He turned his vehicle around and chased the suspect for approximately two miles before his Chevy Tahoe patrol vehicle left the roadway and struck a tree."

Witnesses put the marked police vehicle in close proximity to the police officers vehicle, stating that the motorcycle was going through red lights, leaving the scene after the fatal accident.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 04-15-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 AM
Pac996
Drifting

What got me was the originally charge was murder when a lame driver pulling in front of a bike for a max would get manslaughter or negligent homicide. Now I see the charges were changed appropriately to be in the usual realm of legalizing murder on our nation’s hwys.

In the beginning the press release was the officer was off duty in his personal car shopping when he saw the offender. He then crossed the divided hwy to pursue. Soembody going 100mph the opposite direction just isn't going to see he has a pursuite vehicle behind him till caught up to. This takes it for granted the rider has rear view mirrors. All picky tech stuff anyway.

I feel the immediate surrounds of the policeman should have been investigated more to see who fouled up his pursuit. Hawaii went through removing customizing policemen’s personal cars at the department motor pool. The cars would be used for duty also but short and sweet if the policeman in this motor accident did have the same sort of deal or did engine upgrades like a turbo the common sense thing is to bulk up the brakes. Many don’t improve their brakes. This is one thing I believe is why the Hawaii police department decided to eliminate the upgrades due to the department being responsible in the event of a policeman doing something like underestimating required braking and killing somebody. Even with improved brakes. At any rate I kind of saw the original charge of murder as hiding something. I’m sure anyone near the policeman would have hired a lawyer then blame would have been put on the officer from those lawyers. Strange case.

Whatever the case it’s a shame the officer died.

Then on the reality note of things racing police is unadviseable
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

"Prior to this incident it was not illegal to flee from the police in New York State. On November 1, 2006 the "Trooper Craig Todeschini Bill" was passed into law, creating the crime of Fleeing from a Police Officer in a Motor Vehicle." from the link below.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/18292-tr...-j.-todeschini

If only we had known!

Quick Reply: Pinched.........