Anyone else use this wheel cleaner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EastBay
Still cleaning up from the PO eh?

I keep looking at the factory Sport Classic II's but I don't think I can get my grubby little fingers in to reach the barrels when washing.
Yeah, It appears that the car was REALLY taken care of by the 2nd and longest owner all the way to 95,000 miles. The third guy, I talked to and he told me he did nothing but drive it. The guy before me I think did the same thing. I think he kept it clean, but not "CLEAN".

The paint was a mess, the wheels were not too bad, But not too good either.... The brakes and rotors were shot and the clutch was about done. I say I got a hold of this car just in time before it was about self destruct from neglect.

I dont think it was that they were lazy.. I just don't think they shared the passion
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
People are too quick to say "don't use acidic wheel cleaners", as many of them are just fine. Case in point, Mothers All Wheel, which was an acidic based cleaner. It was also the best wheel cleaner that I have ever used.

The new version (hit the shelves in Feburary) is now a foaming alkaline based cleaner, and I don't think it works quite as well as the old one.

I have used that Dupont Teflon wheel cleaner before and I didn't think it compared at all to the Mothers wheel cleaner.

- Anthony
+1.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna try Sonax. People using it say it's nothing short of amazing.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
I haven't found any wheel cleaners that work as advertised, i.e. "Spray it on and rinse off the dirt". I spray it on and rinse it off, but the dirt remains. I've tried several brands and I still have to scrub.
poor boys world spray and rinse wheel cleaner does exactly what it says, ive been using it for years and its awesome, leave it on for a minute then rinse it off
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandersd
I haven't found any wheel cleaners that work as advertised, i.e. "Spray it on and rinse off the dirt". I spray it on and rinse it off, but the dirt remains. I've tried several brands and I still have to scrub.
You're just not "rinsing" it off properly. You're supposed to use a 3900 psi pressure washer... that should do the trick, lol. I use the maguiar's wheel cleaner. Makes brake dust much easier to remove with a sponge. Nothing magical though.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by buzztt
poor boys world spray and rinse wheel cleaner does exactly what it says, ive been using it for years and its awesome, leave it on for a minute then rinse it off
That's because it's acid based!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Anything out there to prevent the wheels from becoming so dirty to begin with?

It seems my wheels can only stay clean for one day before becoming grimy again.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budmanv24
You're just not "rinsing" it off properly. You're supposed to use a 3900 psi pressure washer... that should do the trick, lol. I use the maguiar's wheel cleaner. Makes brake dust much easier to remove with a sponge. Nothing magical though.
Great, I can use this to convince my wife I need a good pressure washer!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing beats good old fashioned soapy and water. I've don't use those wheel cleaners in a bottle. Waste of money and not worth the risk of marring the wheel finish. Whether my street cars or track cars, I have NEVER had a problem getting them clean with soap and water. It's easy and it's safe.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nothing beats good old fashioned soapy and water. I've don't use those wheel cleaners in a bottle. Waste of money and not worth the risk of marring the wheel finish. Whether my street cars or track cars, I have NEVER had a problem getting them clean with soap and water. It's easy and it's safe.
+1

To clean my wheels I simply use the same basic P21S carwash that I use to clean the paint. I wipe them lightly with a clean microfiber cloth and they come super clean every time.

I don't see why you would need to use a harsh wheel cleaner on the wheels. I agree with Dell that wheel cleaners are a waste of money and not worth the long-term risk to the wheel finish.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
++1 You wouldn't have cleaning problems if you don't let the dirt and brake dust marinate and bake in.

I messed up a set of alloys on my previous BMW with years of wheel cleaner use. Learn from there, and now I use on the wheels the same car shampoo that I wash my car with.

Quick Reply: Anyone else use this wheel cleaner.