Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

So Tim doesn't freak out, pics of my new car :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Funny what is and is not an 'ostentatious display.' Is a red Carerra somehow worse to the casual observer than a gray TT? Would that same person 'react' to a gold Rolex but miss a thin Cartier tank? Probably so.

And for the record... my wife wanted red. I was originally looking for Seal Grey.

And because I didn't say it before - nice car Dell!
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't making a judgement about you, but simply commenting on the appearance.

We all own expensive toys of one sort or another, it's the "look at me" aspect of displaying them in a manner to deliberately make them be noticed - that's the ostentatious part.

Simply quietly wearing the items that you mention and not making a big deal about it is not ostentatious - flaunting and displaying, that's what pushes something across the line to ostentatious.

Let me put it this way - one can be wealthy and not show it. One can also be relatively poor, but pretend to be wealthy through extravagant purchases that are beyond one's means but give the appearance that one is wealthy.

Regardless of means I've always been a fan of understated in preference to showy.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't making a judgement about you, but simply commenting on the appearance.

We all own expensive toys of one sort or another, it's the "look at me" aspect of displaying them in a manner to deliberately make them be noticed - that's the ostentatious part.

Simply quietly wearing the items that you mention and not making a big deal about it is not ostentatious - flaunting and displaying, that's what pushes something across the line to ostentatious.

Let me put it this way - one can be wealthy and not show it. One can also be relatively poor, but pretend to be wealthy through extravagant purchases that are beyond one's means but give the appearance that one is wealthy.

Regardless of means I've always been a fan of understated in preference to showy.
So true. A dear friend of mine is a partner in a successful orthodontist practice. He likes watches, but they aren't flashy. He lives in a quaint, yet roomy house, not a mansion or high dollar custom home. He drives an E46 M3 and his track car is a 93 RX-7. He dresses well, but nothing that would attract attention.

He could easily own a Ferrari or Lamborghini, but it's not his style.

When I first met him (at an M3 meet), I had no idea from his appearance that he was "loaded." I just thought he was another IT guy interested in buying an M3.

He tells me his partners are even worse, driving beat-up 20 year old pick up trucks to work. It seems to me, making money is more of an addiction for them than spending it, LOL.

///Michael
Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
So true. A dear friend of mine is a partner in a successful orthodontist practice. He likes watches, but they aren't flashy. He lives in a quaint, yet roomy house, not a mansion or high dollar custom home. He drives an E46 M3 and his track car is a 93 RX-7. He dresses well, but nothing that would attract attention.

He could easily own a Ferrari or Lamborghini, but it's not his style.

When I first met him (at an M3 meet), I had no idea from his appearance that he was "loaded." I just thought he was another IT guy interested in buying an M3.

He tells me his partners are even worse, driving beat-up 20 year old pick up trucks to work. It seems to me, making money is more of an addiction for them than spending it, LOL.

///Michael
Yup - the wealthiest people are the ones that save their money rather than spending it.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I know, I know, it's a frickin disease. I added yet another car to the stable. This time I added a Turbo.

Specs:
2003 Turbo
Slate Grey Metallic (photos do not do it justice. Amazing in person!)
Natural Grey leather (again, amazing in person. It's really black but a nice upgrade)
Sport Techno Wheels
Baby seats for the 2 year old and 5 month old (reason I bought the TT over another GT3....back seats)

Have a few misc items I (or the dealer) am going to install this week as well:
X73
Tint
Sport pedals (aluminum with the rubber grips and Porsche script)
997 SSK
Garage door hack
Non smokers kit
Clear/Smoked side markers
Dension Gateway 500
Thinking about adding the "quad" tip for the exhaust. (SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO BUY?)
Great car Dell!!

Congrats on the purchase!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice car Dell, would love to see it if I can ever make it to one of the meets, maybe this Saturday?

Wealth accumulation can be an addiction indeed, and a significant one indeed, since wealth that is not put to any use is an ironic waste. Of course one could argue that if it's the accumulation of wealth one's after, then it is a means to an end.

I keep saying that, though I haven't quite convinced myself yet...

Last edited by Ahmet; 03-26-2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll be driving it to the Saturday coffee this weekend so I can drive it to the Pinehurst trip. Not sure what meets you are referring to though.

Quick Reply: So Tim doesn't freak out, pics of my new car :)