Sponsored by:

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 AM
xel996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem

My 996c2's A/C is not as cold as it used to be. Do guys know where I can check if it still has freon? or how do I check if there is a leak. Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have direct experiences with the 996 AC system, but I do with many other cars. Typically it is either an O-ring, or the condenser is leaking. After 10 years the condenser's aluminum will corrode and start to leak. Farther down the list would be the compressor or evaporator coil.

Based on your question, I assume you don't have the proper AC equipment ($$). It would be best to talk to a AC shop. They can test the system with either a 'sniffer' or add dye to your system. Then detect the leak and evacuate it. Fix the leak and recharge it.

In the long run you will be better off.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to recharge my wifes Boxster every year while my 996 always blows cold. Both are '99s. Yes the Boxster leaks, it will lose much of the freon in a year, but at $7 a fill every summer it hasn't been worth spending hundreds to have it repaired. It's easy to do, there is a fill port under the front hood. By a recharge kit at an auto parts store for around $20 and read the directions. You can DIY in a few minutes and save a week or two in groceries, as opposed to dropping it off at a dealer, waiting, finding rides, etc.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by xel996
My 996c2's A/C is not as cold as it used to be. Do guys know where I can check if it still has freon? or how do I check if there is a leak. Thanks
Some AC systems have a sight glass in the receiver/dehydrator or located in a fitting on the high pressure liquid refrigerant line. If AC on this glass is examined. If bubbles show or foam the system is low in refrigerant.

However, I'm not sure the Porsche AC system has a sight glass. Never had to fool with my cars' AC.

Are you sure the system's not blowing as cold as it used to? Has the cabin filter been changed?

Get a digital cooking thermometer.

Close doors, windows, roof.

Insert thermometer into center vent.

Know outside temperature.

Open all dash vents. Turn on ignition, press recirculating air button, set temp. control to max cooling, turn on fan to max, and start engine.

With engine idling turn on A/C.

When engine up to temp a bit increase engine speed to 2K rpms.

At an outside temp of 20C AC vent air temp should be between 3.5C to 6.5C.

If outside temperate above or below 20C vent temp will be higher or lower but even at 35C vent temp should be between 6C and 8.5C.

If vent temp not in spec then system probably low on refrigerant. If it is low there's a leak in the system.

The leak needs to be id'd and fixed and the system evacuated and fresh refrigerant and compressor oil added.

Avoid running compressor if system low on refrigerant. This carries the oil around and if low the oil supplied to the compressor can be insufficent to prevent compressor damage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM
xel996
Advanced

Thanks for all your inputs guys.

Will the cabin filter affect the a/c systems performance?

I will try the test you suggested macster. I tried looking for that sightglass near the battery compartment but it seems like the 996 system doesnt have it. After I confirm with macsters test ill bring it to the A/C shop and hope its nothing serious and just a faulty expansion valve.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are little hand held pressure gauges for reading 'off the low pressure side' of the system. They are low cost and small. It isn't good to overfill the a/c.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by xel996
Thanks for all your inputs guys.

Will the cabin filter affect the a/c systems performance?

I will try the test you suggested macster. I tried looking for that sightglass near the battery compartment but it seems like the 996 system doesnt have it. After I confirm with macsters test ill bring it to the A/C shop and hope its nothing serious and just a faulty expansion valve.
If the cabin filter full of dust it can reduce the amount of air the A/C cabin fan pulls into the cabin and the amount of air that is supplied by the vents.

Another possibility is the air valving in the system is faulty and routing too much air through the heater core after it passes through the A/C evaporator thus the A/C feels like it isn't working when in fact the air's being reheated.

The test I mentioned directs you to use the recirc setting which doesn't pull air through the cabin filter which at least eliminates this.

I don't think the Porsche AC system has a sight glass. Some automakers use one some don't.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
xel996
Advanced

Thanks again macster. Ill avoid using the A/C in the meantime its not my DD car anyway so it wont be a hassle. Ill get it to an A/C shop asap.

Quick Reply: A/C problem