996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine gurus: I need help with a sound!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Engine gurus: I need help with a sound!

All engine gurus, I need help.

While checking my parking spot today I heard the strangest sporadic metallic rattling from the passenger side of the engine. I could not really localize the sound (hoping it was from the cats maybe, and NOT the engine itself). It sounds ominous to me.

The car just had 2 new coil packs and 6 new spark plugs installed, and is otherwise running GREAT.

Here is the sound... you hear it right away (sounds like Im starting the car, but its just the weird sound), and then again at 9 seconds or so...

Engine Noise

Any help TRULY appreciated!
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be one of the CATS, I know I went through a period in which I had to replace 3 on the right side and 2 on the left.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

yeah... thats bouncing alot..... bang on the cats (rubber malet), see if it rattles.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your engine is Mahina or Namamatay... Either way, your engine is not Malakas...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas

While checking my parking spot today I heard the strangest sporadic metallic rattling from the passenger side of the engine. I could not really localize the sound (hoping it was from the cats maybe, and NOT the engine itself). It sounds ominous to me.

The car just had 2 new coil packs and 6 new spark plugs installed, and is otherwise running GREAT.

Here is the sound... you hear it right away (sounds like Im starting the car, but its just the weird sound), and then again at 9 seconds or so...

Engine Noise

Sounds like something in the exhaust. Engine behaving normally otherwise?

If under warranty get to dealer and tech will put it in the air and check for any loose heat shields, exhaust pipes or catalytic converter rattles.

If coming from engine tech will use mech. stethescope to locate where engine noise coming from.

If not under warranty you'll either have take it to a shop or do the investigation yourself.

If engine not running normally I'd avoid starting engine cause it is something internal that could cause serious engine damage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Remember the warranty on the cats are 8yr/80k.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Remember the warranty on the cats are 8yr/80k.
Understand that dealers will not replace them under warranty without a CEL thrown by the cats.

Anything above and beyond this is in the good graces of that particular service dept.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like a loose bracket or heat shield. Probably no big deal.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Did it make the noise before the work was done? I did not think so, take it back to the shop and have them check the bench for extra hardware or pull the intake and see what was left loose.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM
maintcon
7th Gear

Chek the exhaust Tips, mine hade the same noise several years back.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Check the weld between the exhaust outlet pipe before the tips and the exhaust can body. There is a bracket between the two. Both of mine were broken.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Engine Noise

Baffles in the exhausts are also known to come loose resulting in the same type sound.

-td
Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Engine Noise

Sounds like a blown cat to me. I've had 4 cats go bad (2 per side) over the last couple of years.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That rubber mallet on the cats would get results.

Theres a stethiscope method that would get you the area its coming from. Use a thin wood rod and push it on the places to check noises while holding one end next to your ear. Just don't let the fan belt put it through your skull. I'm not sure if some place sells the stethiscope with a rod on the end.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Engine Noise

Check the heatshields for the coil packs, 2 bolts hold them on and if they are left loose they will rattle like that.
Also the tubular exhaust muffler brackets that techs sometimes loosen or remove to make the plug/coil access easier, if left loose they will rattle also.

Quick Reply: Engine gurus: I need help with a sound!