Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
emdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade

I'm new to here so forgive me if this is old info, I recently upgraded all of my speakers, with the exception of the door speakers, with some infinity 4" speakers. I did a custom fit on the grills, it was super easy, I took picks and can post directions on how to do it, if there is anyone that is interested, let me know.

BTW just replacing the two front speakers, and two rear speakers, makes a HUGE difference, I didn't have the bose. I also had the stealth speaker box that sits at passengers feet. I used a pioneer dual GPS unit, and two MTX amps that are located under the panel in the hood.

Has really good hitting bass, and the highs are clean and crisp, I have heard a bunch of people complaining about their sound, so though I would post, it barely cost me anything to upgrade the sound. The most expensive thing was the head unit, although the car came with the two amps and the stealth box. In all I would say it shouldn't cost you more than $1500 to upgrade (but that's with a $1K GPS head unit), if you want to pay less, just get a single head unit, or a dual dvd head unit for around $200 - $300.

Any how, my question is regarding the door speakers, has anyone upgraded these, do I really have to take apart the whole door panel? I wouldn't even bother switching them out because the other four speaker change already sounds so good, but I already bought the door speakers from ebay. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
buzztt
Pro

yes, the door panels have to be removed
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

What year is your car?
What speakers did you have to begin with?
Is there a link for the Infinity Speakers?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 PM
emdog
Instructor

@buzztt - thanks

@ sheatley - I have a 2001 cab c2. It had the original speakers that came with the car, so I don't know if it's as easy if you have the Bose. You can use any 4" speaker, but the ones I got are here

The first image is how it should look after you are done, the second sort of shows the idea. basically cut out the circle of the speaker and leave the connector attached (there are plastic tabs that you should be able to see when you are holding the speaker, cut all of these of with some snippers). What you want to do is use the stock speaker plastic part to hold the new speaker in place. Use a lighter to make the plastic , where the connector is attached to the circle, soft and bend it in place so that the plastic piece is a perfect circle, and the connector isn't blocking the inside of the circle. Bend the metal tabs on the infinitys so that they fit snug, place the infinity face down on the grill, then put the stock plastic piece over the infinity, and screw down using the stock screws in the stock position so that it sandwiches the infinity in place. Solder speaker wires to correct part on stock connector, and then your done.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:27 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I used Boston Acoustic Pro 5.5 for doors, 4.5 for dash and rears.
4 or 5 " woofer and 1" tweeter
you have to cut the oval grilles and they will fit
the bose door enclosure will hold a 5
Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 PM
emdog
Instructor

use these, you don't have to cut anything http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ppa+42.9I.html

I have 2001 c2, it had the original speakers.

here are some pics. These sound great, I produce music, so I would say I have a good ear as far as quality sound and such. These not only sound a million times better then the stock speakers, but the sound is just really good in general.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46181461@N07/4374804908/
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

emdog,

Thanks. I have the 2001 factory upgrade which I do not believe is Bose. The front and door speakers are not too bad. What I cannot get is much from the rear when the fader has the frontoptimized. I am going to try upgrade on the rear speakers first, keeping all frfont componets and factory amp stock.

Do you think the Infinity might fill in the rear better?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
emdog
Instructor

the infinity will make the rear a million times better, when I installed it It felt like I had been listening to AM radio, and suddenly switched to a CD.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
spender
Pro

Hey Emdog, what about the external crossover on those infinity Kappa speakers? Was it an issue you had to deal with, or did it tuck in easily?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They easily fit in front and rear.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 AM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by perryinva
They easily fit in front and rear.
So you've installed these? I've got a few pairs coming, my only question relates to the outboard crossovers. I guess I'll either zip tie them or Velcro them down. How did you handle this issue??

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade