Sponsored by:

IMS Failure Count

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Spinny
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS failure

I have a 2002 with 85,000 miles and i am in the process of replacing the engine. IMS failure, and now engine is being replace. BRUTAL, how can this be so common and not be a design problem with nothing to warn or keep from happening.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah here we go again old IMS threads dug up. I suppose I will entertain.

Sorry to hear about your loss and hope it goes well for you with the replacement.

It is a known design problem and there are plenty of things to keep it from happening (regular oil changes, bearing inspections, ims bearing retrofit, ims guardian pre-emptive failure device).

In fact, Porsche eliminated the IMS bearing from their most recent engine. They also updated the bearing to a much larger one early in the 997's life before the complete elimination of the dreaded IMSB. Remanufacturered 996 engines also have the updated unservicable heaver duty bearing directly from Porsche. Clearly they are accepting that it is a problem. In some cases they will even help owners who's engines are out of warranty.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the marketing begin.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

but seriously why don't we have a properly moderated IMS thread to document the problem and its outcome, which warranty paid for it or not, if porsche north america did something about it ect ect.

I think it would be nice to have a MODERATED thread on this. no bar talk, only fact.

or may be some people high up have paid off rennlist to keep it quiet

Quick Reply: IMS Failure Count