Sponsored by:

So whats in the box Beeoch? LNE IMS bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Jake,

This is the 3rd time I am re-writing this. I dont know exacly how to take your answers. You answered my questions, thank you.

You need to look at the person I have chosen to do the work as another oppertunity to sell more kits. I am sorry you do not approve of my choice. He certainly has not talked about your kit as you are talking about him. He actually said it seems like a good idea.

He made the comment about the bearing coming out becasue, Jake, Doesnt it sound a little odd that we are going to pull this ring that is larger than the hole, thought the hole? I didnt have a right to ask? I mean come on,,, sounds like a very logical question. Sorry my nature is, "unless I am dealing with Jesus Christ, I am going to ask how and why" And ya know what... I actually have a few questions for him too.

Jake, I got 3 opinions, after that I had to make a judgement call on what I was going to do. I gathered my info, did my home work and chose to trust your judgment on this bearing.

I do understand you may have an attitude with Porsche. But your attitude really took you off base to slam a guy that actually likes your idea. He simple made a comment abotu the bearing, that to me made perfect sense... So I asked becasue I couldnt find ANYTHING ANYWHERE that told me HOW that bearing was going to come out.

I thank you for your answers. Calm down, regroup and stop being so stand offish when asked a question. Lets get this done. Lets get it in so I can tell everyone how great it is.

Fare enough? Relax.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off:
You must understand just how much crap we have had to endure due to Porsche's statements about the bearing being non-removable. When someone that has never built an engine before can lay on his back in his garage and pull the tranny out of his car and successfully do this work, but someone with every certificate that Porsche has cannot it speaks volumes. When that happens over and over again it gets really old, really quick. I didn't mean to come across like an ***, I just wanted to make a point and do so clearly.

Not all techs are the same and not all dealers are the same, but I'll tell you now that the "Master" techs have had the most difficulty with this procedure of anyone else.. I know- I personally provide the direct phone support while the bearing is being extracted.

Who you choose to do this procedure is your business, but you need to understand (and everyone else too) that certificates from Porsche won't miracle anything together. Last year I had a tech working here that aced every school that Porsche had, he worked at Brumos for 5 years but he couldn't work his way out of a paper sack. His resume was impressive, his action was less than most teenagers I have had here as apprentices.

The worst part was he never thought for himself, if a book said that special tool XXX was needed he would stop and want to order that tool. The rest of us here would go grab a piece of scrap metal, walk to our machine shop and make the damn thing, then get the job done.... More times than not that improvised tool is better than the one Porsche charges 10 prices for and has to ship from Germany. Certainly thats just one person, but it is a good illustration of my point. He lasted 3 months, I should have fired him after the 3rd day but I gave him a chance and wasted our time.

The fact is I'd much rather spend my support time assisting a DIY enthusiast as some tech with 53 certificates on the wall... The DIY'r is always thinking about what's best for his car, not how fast the procedure can be done and the car cleared off the lift so the next 300 dollar oil change can be done.

The best bet is an open minded INDY or do it yourself...

As far as the bearing extraction goes, was your question related to the internal snap ring retaining the bearing inside the IMS or was it related to the extracted IMS bearing being removed through the access bore in the crankcase?

Once again, I apologize for my intensity.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
First off:
You must understand just how much crap we have had to endure due to Porsche's statements about the bearing being non-removable. When someone that has never built an engine before can lay on his back in his garage and pull the tranny out of his car and successfully do this work, but someone with every certificate that Porsche has cannot it speaks volumes. When that happens over and over again it gets really old, really quick. I didn't mean to come across like an ***, I just wanted to make a point and do so clearly.

Not all techs are the same and not all dealers are the same, but I'll tell you now that the "Master" techs have had the most difficulty with this procedure of anyone else.. I know- I personally provide the direct phone support while the bearing is being extracted.

Who you choose to do this procedure is your business, but you need to understand (and everyone else too) that certificates from Porsche won't miracle anything together. Last year I had a tech working here that aced every school that Porsche had, he worked at Brumos for 5 years but he couldn't work his way out of a paper sack. His resume was impressive, his action was less than most teenagers I have had here as apprentices.

The worst part was he never thought for himself, if a book said that special tool XXX was needed he would stop and want to order that tool. The rest of us here would go grab a piece of scrap metal, walk to our machine shop and make the damn thing, then get the job done.... More times than not that improvised tool is better than the one Porsche charges 10 prices for and has to ship from Germany. Certainly thats just one person, but it is a good illustration of my point. He lasted 3 months, I should have fired him after the 3rd day but I gave him a chance and wasted our time.

The fact is I'd much rather spend my support time assisting a DIY enthusiast as some tech with 53 certificates on the wall... The DIY'r is always thinking about what's best for his car, not how fast the procedure can be done and the car cleared off the lift so the next 300 dollar oil change can be done.

The best bet is an open minded INDY or do it yourself...
I get it and I know where you are coming from. I deal with this same type of situation in my business as well. it is hard to avoid the attitude when people have been trying to kick you down for years. I get it....

If we need you. You will be on the phone with me. I feel I have a very good grasp on how this works. I really do not see what phone support there is to give other than moral support to say "Go Ahead and crank on it, its not going to break the case, Trust me" But when we get our grimmy little hands in there I may see why phone support is needed. Why did I pick the guy I did? After I/ we get the bearing in. I feel he knows better than anyone how to put it all back together.

as for this "As far as the bearing extraction goes, was your question related to the internal snap ring retaining the bearing inside the IMS or was it related to the extracted IMS bearing being removed through the access bore in the crankcase?"

My question was "What the hell is going to give to allow this thing to come out." So I guess my question was the snap ring retaining the bearing in the IMS.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Point well taken.. He probably does know better than most people how to put the car back together as these techs do a lot of R&R work and thats what they are taught and practice everyday.

Quick Reply: So whats in the box Beeoch? LNE IMS bearing