Sponsored by:

2002 996 cabriolet roll cage help and info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 PM
hawk6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 996 cabriolet roll cage help and info needed

I have my heart set on a used 2002 996 cabriolet. I would like to be able to take it to Virginia International Raceway a few times a year for driver's education courses. Can I get an aproved roll cage that will just bolt in and not ruin the look or utility of the car? This will be my first Porsche. Am I making a mistake? I love the convertable.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 PM
nc911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk6,

For sure you can get a Roll Bar (cage is not necessary).

DAS or factory Porsche T-Equipment Bar.
The DAS unit bolts in (but with drilling 8 holes into the floor board), but is a DIY project if you are handy. Later plug up the holes with plastic inserts from the local autostore. The T-Equip. version is pure bolt in (but I've heard not really a DIY install as is a bear to put in).

For my '01 Cab, I have a black powder coated DAS bar. Both DAS and factor T-Equipment version come up for sale used time to time (more the DAS than the other) and the DAS is usually around 500 bucks and T-Equip around $700.

... and for sure neither option will ruin the look of the car.
In terms of utiltiy, the back seats can not be used of course as the seats come out for the roll bar install.

VIR for sure needs them but think about the PCA DE coming up at CMP.
They don't require a bar for cabs and if you are close (south of VIR) then for sure CMP should be withiin reach.

Good luck on the purchase of your "new" car and post pics when you get it home and cleaned up.

And VIR is a blast! Fast fun and great facilities.

George
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
hawk6
Track Day

Thanks George very helpful
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For our DE's in North Texas the factory rollover protection in the Cabs is sufficient--that is to say, you do not need an additional roll bar. BTW I really wanted a coupe but the rest of the fam wanted a cab. With the $ committment of the investment I decided to please the greater fam and I am thrilled to have the cab. The top makes a little rattle noise when up but otherwise it is awesome. Good luck
Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by rwiii
For our DE's in North Texas the factory rollover protection in the Cabs is sufficient--that is to say, you do not need an additional roll bar....
Is that the track rule or the PCA Region rule?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:38 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Are you asking me? Apparently neither require it because if one of the groups required it we would have to have bars.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Yeah. What rules did you reference to arrive at the conclusion that its not required, or you are assuming that its not required because no one told you?

The point I am making is that it important for folks to check with both and make sure they are not in conflict, before they arrive at the track.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:57 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tracked a 2002 C4 Cab for a couple of years in the NE and I discovered there are both track requirements (VIR is one that requires a visible bar last I checked) and PCA Region-specific requirements for DE. As a previous poster noted, check with both the track and DE sponsor before arriving.

I ended up installing a TechEquip bar, harnesses and GT3 seats and had a great time both tracking the car and then after, dropping the top to drive home...........
Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the OEM bar in my cab. Although my region is being wishy washy about letting me run top down. One event, they let me. At the last one, they didn't. Very annoying to say the least... They claim National PCA doesn't allow it. Which doesn't make sense because I've run with another region and they had no problem with it.

Anybody have a link to national PCA rules?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:54 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I have the OEM bar in my cab. Although my region is being wishy washy about letting me run top down. One event, they let me. At the last one, they didn't. Very annoying to say the least... They claim National PCA doesn't allow it. Which doesn't make sense because I've run with another region and they had no problem with it.

Anybody have a link to national PCA rules?
PCA.org? If you can't find them, check with your Regional CDI as well; he/she will know where to point you.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Per PCA minimum standards 1 of 35:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft top must be in the up position or the hard top installed.

Direct link:
http://www.pca.org/portals/forms/PCA...ndards2009.pdf
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Yes Whitey, the language from Dell above is in our Maverick region notes on DE's.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:08 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Per PCA minimum standards 1 of 35:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft top must be in the up position or the hard top installed.

Direct link:
http://www.pca.org/portals/forms/PCA...ndards2009.pdf
I saw that.

However, what they don't address is if you can run top down if you have a roll bar, harnesses, and arm restraints...

Quick Reply: 2002 996 cabriolet roll cage help and info needed