New Owner, Intermediate Shaft Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:50 PM
crvtt
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Owner, Intermediate Shaft Bearing Question

Hi,

I own a small used car dealership and deal mainly in late model European cars still under factory warranty. But, I just bought a black on gray 2002 911, tiptronic, with 60k miles, comfort seats, soft look leather, advanced technic package, and 18" 5 star wheels that I don't know the name of (options sheet says RAD wheels). It's my first Porsche. The 997 has really been catching my eye but once I saw this black beauty and the reasonable price, I jumped on it. It was a CPO car up until late last year so I'm hoping most of the major issues that I read about have been taken care of. My biggest concern is the Intermediate Shaft bearing. I read on the Ultimate Preowned 996 Buying Guide on here that the factory has a replacement bearing and update for the shaft. Is that something that should preemptively done or would that be cost prohibitive? I plan on putting it through the shop and seeing if the 60k service appears to have been completed or not. If not I'll have the plugs replaced, oil changed, filters etc. done. Ultimately I bought it for resale, but the real reason I bought it was to satisfy the urge to own a 911 that I've had since I was 16!

Great forum, I've learned alot from looking through all the posts.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Forget the OEM replacement, if you are going to do an upgrade check on this one:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Some IMS go for 100,000+ with no problems, others are bad with only a few miles. There are lots of posts on this. Doesn't seem to make alot of difference on maintenence, etc. That why you will see some go bad with only a few miles on the engine, and others go forever. Really a bad design. The LN upgrade is the only way to go if you are going to upgrade at all.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by crvtt
Hi,

I own a small used car dealership and deal mainly in late model European cars still under factory warranty. But, I just bought a black on gray 2002 911, tiptronic, with 60k miles, comfort seats, soft look leather, advanced technic package, and 18" 5 star wheels that I don't know the name of (options sheet says RAD wheels). It's my first Porsche. The 997 has really been catching my eye but once I saw this black beauty and the reasonable price, I jumped on it. It was a CPO car up until late last year so I'm hoping most of the major issues that I read about have been taken care of. My biggest concern is the Intermediate Shaft bearing. I read on the Ultimate Preowned 996 Buying Guide on here that the factory has a replacement bearing and update for the shaft. Is that something that should preemptively done or would that be cost prohibitive? I plan on putting it through the shop and seeing if the 60k service appears to have been completed or not. If not I'll have the plugs replaced, oil changed, filters etc. done. Ultimately I bought it for resale, but the real reason I bought it was to satisfy the urge to own a 911 that I've had since I was 16!

Great forum, I've learned alot from looking through all the posts.
"...should be preemptively done..."? As you've seen in other threads, there's no consensus on that. It's a roll of the dice. I would do it - did do it - but I'm like that. The cost is a fraction of a year's depreciation, to put it in perspective. I like sleeping better. Other guys have more nerve or common sense than I do.

"...cost prohibitive..."? In my opinion, no. Around here, it's north of two grand to do the upgrade. Not bad for a Porsche. If you need to do anything else in there, like a clutch or RMS, it becomes a bargain because a lot of the labour is redundant, which is how a good indy would charge for it.

If it were me, and I was in love with this car and planned to drive it for awhile, I'd open 'er up, do the IMS bearing, update the RMS and eyeball the clutch while I'm in there. Pay it forward for the pleasure of driving the car.

That's one opinion, anyway. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1.. definitely get the IMS upgrade from LN engineering... the 02+ 3.6 engines have seen more IMS failures than the old 3.4 motors... this is a must..
Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know who does this upgrade in Dallas Ft. Worth area?

Can dealers do it? Or do I need to drive to IL to get this done?

And about $2,000?

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or ship it to Georgia... :-)
Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
hey now...
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

What's the significance of Illinois?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by s_kelly
What's the significance of Illinois?
None. The reference was erroneously typed as IL but should have been LN, as in LN Engineering.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:38 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

aaaah. Got it. I llive in IL and don't have the upgrade, so i thought maybe there was as especially good shop here for that or something.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Well, LN Engineering is located in Illinois.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jake Raby

I actually have to go to Atlanta for business. Heck..I can drive it there...let you upgrade it..
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Yeah..that's why I said IL..

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Originally Posted by rxjohn
Yeah..that's why I said IL..

Thanks,
Correct, my bad! I was thinking of Jake's location in GA.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Ok, so another IMS question..which I'm not sure it's been raised previously or not..

How many IMS Failure have we seen on LN Engineering IMS upgraded engines?

Quick Reply: New Owner, Intermediate Shaft Bearing Question