Sponsored by:

New Owner, Intermediate Shaft Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rxjohn
Ok, so another IMS question..which I'm not sure it's been raised previously or not..

How many IMS Failure have we seen on LN Engineering IMS upgraded engines?
Two issues.

1. Probably too new on the market to even see this yet. And the numbers are small.

2. If there are any failures, do you think that number would be public knowledge?

Again, have you talked directly to Charles at LN or Jake at Flat6 to get any of your questions answered?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Dell, maybe you could start a poll about the number of IMS failu....... oh, never mind!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Or....we could start a poll to guess how many IMS threads there will be in the new year!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

In all the posts here and on other Porsche sites I have never seen one that had a failure on an LN Bearing, or on one of Jake's rebuilt engines. And we see posts on other failures almost everyday. I would think that if someone had a failure on one of these we would hear about it really quickly,
Old 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This fall, in great frustration, I traded my gorgeous but endlessly troublesome Range Rover in on its exact opposite: A Toyota truck. I need something when we're in the country that will start and go, all the time every time, no matter what the conditions. And, of course, I then started trolling Toyota truck message boards to accelerate my learning curve. Let's just say I learned two things: The internet amplifies complaints like a Marshall stack. And there are no guarantees in life, other than the obvious.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dharn55
In all the posts here and on other Porsche sites I have never seen one that had a failure on an LN Bearing, or on one of Jake's rebuilt engines. And we see posts on other failures almost everyday. I would think that if someone had a failure on one of these we would hear about it really quickly,
Agreed.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rxjohn
Anyone know who does this upgrade in Dallas Ft. Worth area?
To answer your question RUF can do it. Give Hans a call.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Th effectiveness of the IMS retrofit program is currently 100%..
I have had ONE engine failure occur with a purchaser.. When the oil pump drive snapped in half due to the insane throttle response of the engine while on the track. At the time that was our highest output engine and we now have a chromoly, totally overkill replacement for the pump drive that snapped and EVERY engine gets one.

Build enough high output engines and you'll have parts scatter.. Nothing I create is stock, so things will break when we are making big power. The engine had no warranty, but I insisted to repair it for free, which meant a full re-creation... The client was a real sport and was more than understanding.

We now have serialized door decals for the IMSR procedure to validate cars that have had it applied.. People already started lying about having the procedure done and this keeps everyone honest since we log VIN info, stamp each bearing flange and also log the engine serial number so it can be tracked infinitely during service.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
We now have serialized door decals for the IMSR procedure to validate cars that have had it applied.. People already started lying about having the procedure done and this keeps everyone honest since we log VIN info, stamp each bearing flange and also log the engine serial number so it can be tracked infinitely during service.
I've seen cars advertised as having the IMS bearing upgrade, but dig a little and they mean that the RMS has been replaced. Most "normal" people just don't understand the difference.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Yes, most sellers and buyers both do not know the difference, BUT on a few occasions people have stated that their IMS was retrofitted with our procedures when it had not been. Both these occasions were cars that had been listed for sale by car dealers.

We know where every bearing has been sold and each one is serialized and logged with the engine ID from the engine it was fitted to and the car.

This mis-representation has occurred on a few occasions and we decided to make it much more difficult for future attempts to be successful.. This will keep everyone more honest.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 01-11-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
We know where every bearing has been sold and each one is serialized and logged with the engine ID from the engine it was fitted to and the car.
Jake, I assume you mean every bearing sold by you. I bought mine directly from LN Engineering, and from our earlier conversations I'm going to assume you have no record of those.

I think this is an important clarification. If I ever sold my car, someone might assume that since you have no record of the IMS bearing upgrade for my VIN, I'm lying, when in fact I simply bought it from the manufacturer and had it installed elsewhere.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Yes, only the bearings we have sold are seeing this procedure.. Charles at LN is doing something similar but hasn't implemented it yet.

Charles has a database of who bearings have been sold to as well. I am sure he could verify it easily if need be.

Quick Reply: New Owner, Intermediate Shaft Bearing Question