Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I am slowly losing coolant but can't figure from where. I would say I have to top it off less than once a month. I might buy that airlift tool to pressure check the coolant system. Any suggestions for places to look for a leak?
To add to TimK's reply: Coolant cap. The one on my 02 Boxster developed a leak that caused water vapor to escape and lower the tank level to the point warning light came on.

That the cap leaking was suggested by condensation under rear trunk lid and around cap. I did check tank for any signs of leakage and other areas as well, but the cause was the cap.

Bought new cap, topped up level with distilled water, and with new cap in place level has remained static now for months (year maybe?).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

That's good to hear. A new cap has already been in the mail from Paragon for a bit now.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Got to look at the engine bay in good sunlight. There is definitely white residue from coolant on the underside on the deck lid as well as around the cap/bleeder area. There was a definite white line along a seam on the bleeder. Is it common for the bleeders to leak?

I replaced the cap with my new one, which was the updated version with part number ending in 04. The one removed from the car ended in 01.

I added distilled water, probably less than 20mL. So I really hadn't lost too much over a couple months' time.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:39 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Thread is a few months old but I wanted to add an update on the solution to my problem:

I was losing coolant and also getting lots of goop on the inside of my oil fill cap (despite driving the car all the time).

I replaced the coolant overflow tank cap as well as the big oring that is on the inside of the oil cap and it totally fixed both problems. Inside of oil fill cap is totally clean now and the coolant level is rock steady. Yay!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Thread is a few months old but I wanted to add an update on the solution to my problem:

I was losing coolant and also getting lots of goop on the inside of my oil fill cap (despite driving the car all the time).

I replaced the coolant overflow tank cap as well as the big oring that is on the inside of the oil cap and it totally fixed both problems. Inside of oil fill cap is totally clean now and the coolant level is rock steady. Yay!
I never had this problem, but I don't recall anyone talking about replacing big o-ring on the inside of the oil cap. That will be a good one to remember to help some guys attempt a quick and low cost remedy for the oil cap gunk. Nice!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I never had this problem, but I don't recall anyone talking about replacing big o-ring on the inside of the oil cap. That will be a good one to remember to help some guys attempt a quick and low cost remedy for the oil cap gunk. Nice!
Your wife may say different.

BTW.... O ring's can dry and crack..... and loose vacuum.... kinda like what you wife said about you.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Your wife may say different.

BTW.... O ring's can dry and crack..... and loose vacuum.... kinda like what you wife said about you.
Ferd, I don't have anything to come back with. I certainly can’t refute the truth!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Re-doing this DIY since the aftermarket water pump I put it in in 2010 only lasted three years. Going OEM this time!

Todd
99 coupe
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Todd, how many miles did the pump go out of curiosity? Thanks - Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark

If I remember correctly it was about 20K miles from install. I won't go the cheap route again. . .

Todd
99 coupe
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced mine too. I bought the Pierburg OEM type from Pelican, a site sponsor. DONT buy the cheap Ebay water pumps!

It took me all of about 10 or 15 minutes to replace the water pump.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak . . .