IMS screw up . PLease HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmasse
Ok, this might be my personal record of stupidity.

Following Porsche52's advice, I checked the sensor on Bank 2 and I found that it was disconnected. I might have disconnected it when I took out the green plug ti check the timing the first time, and I completely forgot about it..
This is pretty embarrasing, but at least it was a cheap fix.

THANKS a LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP....and CASE CLOSED
Hey, stuff happens. I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed about this because you tackled the RMS/IMS replacement yourself, which is the hard part. I NEVER would have had the guts or knowledge to try it. I'm glad it was a small and simple thing to fix!

Well done on the whole project!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

OK Tim, I have a question. Do Hondas have RMS and IMS. Just Kidding!!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dharn55
OK Tim, I have a question. Do Hondas have RMS and IMS. Just Kidding!!
No they don't. After the engine and transmission are fitted to the chassis, the whole assembly is triple wrapped in Saran wrap. Then, and only then, the body is placed on the chassis. We may have leaks, but who would know? No visible drips means no leaks! Japanese engineering at it's best!

Man, I can't wait for the day I can get rid of my Honda and get a Porsche. I figure the way things are going I can get a 2009 C2S........ in 2023!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tim - here's an affordable 993 you can tool around in in the meantime (I have no connection to this in any way). This thing has been for sale since well before I bought my 996 & the price just keeps dropping.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=327918962
Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I have seen some 996's go in that price range. And there is always a Boxster.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, if you get a 996 or a Boxster you know who can help with thr RMS AND IMS...and not even mention the cam sensor on Bank 2
Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by s_kelly
Hey Tim - here's an affordable 993 you can tool around in in the meantime (I have no connection to this in any way). This thing has been for sale since well before I bought my 996 & the price just keeps dropping.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=327918962
Thanks for the link, but I am partial to "water pumpers."
Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Hey, stuff happens. I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed about this because you tackled the RMS/IMS replacement yourself, which is the hard part. I NEVER would have had the guts or knowledge to try it. I'm glad it was a small and simple thing to fix!

Well done on the whole project!
+1.You tackled a job that most of us wouldn,t do ourselves. Who cares that the ultimate fix was an oversight...you found it and remedied the fix without lots of extra work involved.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barn996
+1.You tackled a job that most of us wouldn,t do ourselves. Who cares that the ultimate fix was an oversight...you found it and remedied the fix without lots of extra work involved.
As I always said...if it was not for these forums (Rennlist and Pelican) I would have not not been able to do 1/4 of the projects I did.

THANKS to all you guys who contribute with your expertise here!!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job on the procedure..
More and more DIY efforts are being made successful due to the forums and our support.

I have a DVD that will be finished by March that goes over the entire IMSR procedure start to finish, step by step to include tools used/ needed and etc. This DVD will change the entire procedure.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake Raby

I have a DVD that will be finished by March that goes over the entire IMSR procedure start to finish, step by step to include tools used/ needed and etc. This DVD will change the entire procedure.

In what way will the procedure be different? Different tools? Best to wait til Mar/Apr to upgrade?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The current procedure is the same as what I'll illustrate in the video. We finally have a simple cost effective puller that does the job reliably and thats been the biggest hinderance so far.

The process will continually be developed and changed to make it easier, faster and better but I wouldn't expect any further changes for at least a couple of years, thats why I am finally doing the DVD.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmasse
Well, it is clearly not nice, but there is some cost associated with learning...I am just happy it was not the full engine!!

Maybe I can now learn how to adjust the cam timing :-)
Cheer up, you aren't degreeing the cam

At least on my 99 it appears to be just locking it in at factory settings. I would like to see a degreeing option if it were available for the food for thought effect.
Degreeing allows you to adjust the powerband up and down in the rpms. Personally I think it's best to let a Porsche mechanic handle your shaky areas. This stuff takes time to soak in. Time will go by and upgrades will get more exotic so some day after all this, your xmas present to yourself could end up being wild cams that will sink your eyes into your head after hitting 4-5k rpms.

I do wonder if the timing shifts if the cams aren't removed and it's just an IMS change out. I'm not certain if the chain can jump a tooth with tensioners out. Best of luck to you. Post a pic of your car after it's back on the road and you are satisfied the ordeal is over

Porsche52 thanks for the ton of typing to help the man and inform everyone. I would of lost patience way sooner and said DEALER. A thousand years of computer artificial intelligence improvements couldn't generate those answers. Best of all you got me to read my service manual some more
Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my IMS bearing (Monday) with the new tool, worked great. Took a bunch of pictures. I will post up later today.

Rick
99 996C4
87 944S

Quick Reply: IMS screw up . PLease HELP