IMS screw up . PLease HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm am not guessing the issue is on bank 2, I'm telling you it is. Fault code P0348 is for camshaft position sensor 2. if you had fault code P0343, that would be sensor 1 (bank 1). Pretty cut and dry. If you want to check for short circuit to B+ on the signal line without the pin out box you will have to
A. disconnect plug from camshaft position sensor, Bank 2. Turn ignition on.
B. using a DVOM (meter) check to see if the signal line is shorted to B+, it should read 0 volts. If you have anything more than that, you have a problem within the wiring harness between senor plug and DME control unit, (chaffing etc...)
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, the tool rental will Jake will not work because of time. He can only send them to me the week after Christmass and i need the car before that ....THANKS A LOT ANYWAY JAKE!!!

So, if I don't get this solve this weekend I will have to take it to a repair shop.

Dharn55...Can I ask you more details on your shade tree mechanic approach?

I do have the factory manuals, but they are really confusing to me. What do I have to disassemble to start the adjustment? From the manuals it seems that you need to disassemble half of the engine.

If I understood it correctly, you said to remove the cap

Originally Posted by Dharn55
... So I loosened the bolts on the sprocket and then took out the pin on the crank pulley and used a socket to rotate the crank in the appropriate direction, you have to figure this out by which way the cam is off.Guesstimated how much to rotate the crank, retightned the bolts on the sprocket, returned the carnk to TDC and checked the end of the cam to see if the grooves wer straight up and down.
Which sprocket are you referring to and how do i get acces to it?

In the meantime, can anyone tell me how much would charge a shop to do this? As much as i want to learn ...i need my car back running next week, so I want to be ready for plan B

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Porsche52 - I think you have bank1 and bank 2 mixed up. Bank 1 is the 1-3 cylinders, drivers side (in US) of car, front of car (transmission side) on the top near the green plug, and a real bear to get at. Bank 2 is the 4-6 cylinders, passenger side, top again near the green plug. To get at it you have to remove some misc stuff, maybe the AC compressor, I forget.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:34 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Dharn55, can you specify which sprocket are you refering to. Please, check my previous post with your quote. Thanks

Porsche52, this means that is the code is P0348 I will only have to check/adjust the timing on bank 2 and not touch at all bank1?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Porsche52 - I think you have bank1 and bank 2 mixed up. Bank 1 is the 1-3 cylinders, drivers side (in US) of car, front of car (transmission side) on the top near the green plug, and a real bear to get at. Bank 2 is the 4-6 cylinders, passenger side, top again near the green plug. To get at it you have to remove some misc stuff, maybe the AC compressor, I forget.
This is a 2002 vario cam plus engine.!!! You are thinking of the early vario cam engine.98-2000, The cam position sensors moved from model to model.
When standing at the rear of the car, looking into engine compartment. Bank 1 (1-3) is on the left, the Bank 1 cam position sensor is next to the green cam plugs, right behind the main coolant hose (crank pully side of engine). Bank 2 is on the right, the cam position sensor for bank 2 is on the back of the engine (flywheel side). It is next to the green cam plugs as well, very close to the body cross member. The sensor reluctor wheel is on the end of the intake camshaft, (opposite of the sprokets and chains) On the early vario cam engine yes, the sensor wheel was located next to cyl #3 and #4 , this car they are by #1 and #6.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmasse
Dharn55, can you specify which sprocket are you refering to. Please, check my previous post with your quote. Thanks

Porsche52, this means that is the code is P0348 I will only have to check/adjust the timing on bank 2 and not touch at all bank1?

Thanks
I do not think your cam timing is off!!! If your cam timing was off you would have more faults than just p0348. You would have p0011, p0021,p1324, p1325, p1340, p1341, . Possible misfire faults etc... I think you have a sensor fault (wiring harness, sensor etc...) Maybe it is time to punt and take it to your local dealer and or independent and have it properly diagnosed. I think if you attempt to adjust cam timing you will not have a good time. DO NOT attempt to adjust cam timing using Dharn55 shadetreee method!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A. it is the wrong method for your engine!!!!!!! B. You cannot adjust Bank 1 cams in car!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is talking about early 98-2000 996/986 engines. The 2002 engine is the first year for vario cam plus, DME 7.8. Totaly different cam timing procedures!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Ok, I will check the timing visually again and post findings....you might be right. I was just assuming that it would be much of a coincidence that the sensor or harnes started failing right at the same moment when i screw up in replacing the IMS cover. I assumed that a tooth jumped when i took the IMS cover without taking the tensioners and that was triggering the code...but maybe I am lucky and it is just the sensor.

I will report back...THANKS
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

I apologize, my experience is with a 3.4 engine with VarioCam, not a 3.6 which has VarioCamPlus. Is your car a 3.6 with VarioCamPlus?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

yes, mine is a 3.6.

Ok, I guess I will keep the appointment at the repair shop!!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Wow, just read through the service manual for the 3.6 VarioCamPlus and they are quite different. The positioning of the grooves on the non-driven ends of the cams is similar, the grooves have to be straight up and down, with the narrow side out when the related cylinder is at TDC, put there are more adjustments and different tools involved for the sprockets on the driven end. Sorry if I caused any confusion or problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmasse
Ok, I will check the timing visually again and post findings....you might be right. I was just assuming that it would be much of a coincidence that the sensor or harnes started failing right at the same moment when i screw up in replacing the IMS cover. I assumed that a tooth jumped when i took the IMS cover without taking the tensioners and that was triggering the code...but maybe I am lucky and it is just the sensor.

I will report back...THANKS
How are you visually checking the cam timing. Like I said Dharn55 method is wrong for your engine. The images below kinda suck but they will do for this purpose. When you pull out your green cam plugs, (only pull the 2 shown) opposite end of camshaft sprockets. So for Bank 1 they will be on the front of the engine, below the alternator etc... for bank 2 they will be on the back of the engine (flywheel side). Once you have the plugs removed, you will see the ends of the camshafts. Rotate engine to TDC #1, the crank pully is marked "OT" and there will be a notch in the pully that lines up with a casting mark in the engine case the reads " OT Zyl 1". Fix the pully with pin, through hole marked "OT". You are now on either TDC compression #1 or overlap #1. This is why you must pull the green cam plugs. With the crank fixed @TDC, look at the ends of your camshafts for bank 1, should be very easy to see from front of engine. If the smaller circular cutouts are pointing away from the engine then it can be said that cylinder #1 is on TDC overlap and cylinder #4 is on TDC compression. Now if you had special tool 9686, it should fit in the ends of the bank 1 camshafts at this point. This is how you check cam timing "in car" for this engine. Rotate the crank 360 deg. Pin it, now the smaller circular cutouts for bank 2 should be pointing away from the engine (bank 1 will be pointing toward the engine) you should now be able to insert special tool into bank 2 camshafts. It can now be said that cyl #4 is on TDC overlap and cyl #1 is on TDC compression. It is pretty much a go-no go setup, the tool fits or it doesn't.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your engine is a 3.6 you do not need the cam timing tools....
Old 12-20-2009, 02:47 AM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Ok, this might be my personal record of stupidity.

Following Porsche52's advice, I checked the sensor on Bank 2 and I found that it was disconnected. I might have disconnected it when I took out the green plug ti check the timing the first time, and I completely forgot about it..
This is pretty embarrasing, but at least it was a cheap fix.

THANKS a LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP....and CASE CLOSED

Last edited by mmasse; 12-20-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what you call a "pwner".
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Wow -- I learn't a lot in this thread -- hope I never need the knowledge -- and to all of you -- well done

Quick Reply: IMS screw up . PLease HELP